Home Chat General Chat

Pedals...Pedals...Pedals...

So.....which is right for you (and me)?

Do i get clipless?

Do i get toe clips?

Do i get the ones that have clipless fittings on one side and toe clips on the other (if they exist)?

Any and all advice on pedals would be very much appreciated. Not just what kind but what model and where from...

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Shimano PD a530 have flat pedals on one side, clips on the other, I'm thinking of getting some.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    clipless. I use shimano ultegra.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    If it's on a road/tri bike which is used for training and racing (not commuting or popping down to the shops) then clipless.

I use Look Keo Sprints and they are fine.

Clipless are so much better than any other options if you are after cycling speed and pedalling efficiency.
  • I made the step up from toe clips on normal pedals to clipless (Look Keo Sprint), once you're able to clip and unclip without falling over at traffic lights (both feet still attached to the pedals) then the benefit is a lot. For one your foot doesnt bend and go numb! hope this helps

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    definitely clipless, you will get a huge boost in performance because of it.

I have a selection, look keo classics on the training bike, keo carbons on the race bike and shimano 105s as my spare set.

I actually much prefer the 105s to the classics as i feel the slightly larger cleat feels nicer and they seem to clip in more easily and firmly.

I find the balance of the classics is not very good, so the pedal is always upside down! But the carbons are far better balanced, unfortunately i never have to clip into these as my shoes are already clipped in the race!

The only reason I use the classics over the 105s is I only have one pair of shoes at the mo, so it gets difficult as the cleats are different!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    It's pretty simple clipless are the way to go! It amazes me that in this day that some people are like Sean Kelly and refuse to go clipless!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I purchased some cheapy Wellgo clipless pedals and some cheapy Shimano MTB SPD shoes - works a treat - I didnt want to spend mega bucks to start with as was not sure on how I would get on with them, but the MTB or touring shoe is a great idea as you can at least walk in the shoes to some extent. my main concern was if I had too many punctures on a long run from home and had to walk back and the fact that my night cycles are mainly around town - lots of stops at traffic lights etc.

• Thanks everyone, i just got a bike (second hand) with clipless pedals fitted, no cleats though! Have a look at this pic, can anyone tell me what i have? And what i need to buy to use them....

thanks

[image]local://2838/1F36A6FC67BA4DD686A180F49B2484B8.jpg[/image]
  • Looks like you got SPD pedals. If you buy new shoes these should come with the cleats already, you just need to screw them in.

Typically the shoes you get for these are more off roading than pure road cycling. I have this type though and the advantage I find is that the shoes generally have a raised tread around the cleats which are useful for walking/stopping at lights. Road shoes tend to be completely flat at the bottom and not made for walking at all.

I got the bog standard shoes I could find for everyday use/commuting (Shimano M075). Might upgrade my pedals for races though and get some tri-specific shoes (see signature at bottom)

I am no expert though so happy to accept corrections.

• Flavadave is correct, what you've got are Shimano SPD pedals. This type are more commonly found on Mountain Bikes but can easily be used on a any kind of bike, so whichever you've got they're fine (and extremely durable, so they'll last you years).

The only thing is you will need to buy are specific shoes and these DO NOT come with cleats.

So you'll need to buy these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=167

As for shoes, you should decide what your riding will be. Road/mountain/commuter and get shoes to fit that. MTB shoes and most likely commuter shoes will be able to fit SPD cleats, but make sure you check compatibility if you decide to get road shoes as not all will fit them.

And when you're up and running, PRACTICE ALOT! Falling off at traffic lights is almost inevitable but you'll only do it once!

But possibly the most worthwhile upgrade for any form of serious riding.

Hope this helps.
  • Yup you're right dangermouse, you'll need to buy the cleats.

Thought they came with the shoes, but thinking back they actually came with the pedals. Doh!
  • Thanks chaps!

I will be road riding only and only training/racing....so would you recommend changing these pedals for a different type?
  • Yeah go for it.

New SPD cleats will cost you a tenner any way and a set of road pedals such as Shimano 105s (good ones) will cost you about £35 if you shop around. And they come with cleats so the difference is only £25 ("only!! how easy it is to spend that extra bit of cash...Bloody triathlons, next year I'm taking up chess, it's cheaper).

Performance wise they'll make a slight difference, (bigger platform, stiffer engagement etc) over SPDs.

• I recently made the switch from toe clips to clipless pedals and its possibly the most painful experience of my life. My other half held my bike up whilst i pedalled backwards like a mad thing. He would shout Traffic lights or islands and i would unclip. The idea was i would get good at unclipping. However, the next day i did a triathlon and fell off. I ended up rolling along the nettles and at the end of the race ended up with the St John picking nettles and brambles out of my back and legs. The next triathlon i did i also fell off but this time on the tarmac which does hurt far more. I however, have been fine since but i still feel scarred when using my pedals.

x
  • Oh....thanks.....i think! Now i'm scared too! ;)
  • Yeah they're the ones.

But shop around more. I tend to go here when I want a bargain. SO I checked for you and presto:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SHIMPEDA840000000000

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Clipless steep learning curve..
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    them 105s is good Gary, get them. I have a set, and they match my keo carbons for feel, if only a little heavier.
  • Thank you all so much.....i have gone for the shimano 105's and will let you know how often i fall off!

Thanks again [:D]
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Good luck with it. A few tips from (unpleasant) experience, for when you start out:

1) Practise in a car park first.

2) Remember - unclip, then brake, not both at the same time!

3) Stepping down onto a drain cover can end in an unintentional splits-like manoevre that will be both uncomfortable at best and funny for any onlookers.

4) If you have a town bike with normal flat pedals, practise using it, thinking 'unclip' and having your feet in the right place when approaching junctions.

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    my only problem with clipless is - I have always unclipped in time but on a few occassions I have accidently half clipped back in after I have slowed down ... I am very careful now and manouver the unclipped foot forward so as not to unintensially clip back in .... after about a month of riding clipless I have yet to fall off ;) ... fingers crossed so it continues this way
  • Have fun, you'll love the clipless feel.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I would advocate the Shimano road system also 105, Utegra or Dura Ace. They are wider and your foot feels firmer on them, for me they make the bike to run a little less bambi-like