Home Chat General Chat

Swimming aids

hey everyone,

i've just bought some swimming aids - you could say a little blindly!

i've got these hand paddles - i thought they were for showing how your hand should be in the water, but they are really crazy - they only seem to make me faster.....

I think they should improve strength??

Does anyone know what they are for and how to use them correctly?

Does anyone else use swimming aids - has it helped?

Thanks

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    The gloves are designed to make your arms stronger. You will move more water with them on than you would with your hand alone.

I havent had any but understand the science behind them. Are they worth the £9.99?

What make have you got? what are they made of neoprene?
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    HA AH!

Mine are speedo and hard plastic with holes in.

So i can build better strength!

The problem I find is when i get to the deep end i can't hold on untill I pull them off - i tell you it must look funny!

Any other training aids that really work?
  • Hi Graham

As swimming is easily my weakest sport I asked Santa for as much Swimming related stuff as possible.. I ended up with the following:-

Gloves – mine are neoprene and webbed.

Pull Buoy – for using arms only and getting a feel of “balancing” in the water

Kick Board – for practicing legs only drills

Fins – helping balance, breathing and kicking.

I have also purchased a couple of books including Total Immersion and some swimming drills/planning books.

I’ve finally got the stage when I can “visualise” the correct technique I just can’t do it..

Therefore more drills, drills, drills...
  • Apart from increasing the resistance on the water and therefore building strength the paddles are good for improving technique. Depends on the make you have but removing the wrist strap helps even more as it is attached only at the fingers and relies on good form to stay in place i.e. good hand entry position and catch.........

My swimming is fairly rubbish so use as much gear as I can find to stop me getting bored.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Be careful going too hard with the paddles: it is quite easy to hurt your forearms with the strain of keeping your hands in position. You also place a lot more strain on your shoulders, particularly if your form is not quite perfect.. i.e. a dropped elbow will strain you quite badly.

As abrewer says, you can experiment with them to vary the pain: take off the rear strap to ensure you are hloding the water correctly, particularly towards the back end of your stroke where many people have their hands travelling wrist first.

If you remove the finger strap then you can work on your entry and catch: get it wrong and the paddles will flip over. Make sure you are not cheating and holding the paddle edges with your thumb and pinkie.

Finally, try swimming with no straps just to annoy yourself.

Use paddles for sculling exercises to really get you triceps burning.

Breast-stroke with paddles will help improve your feel of the water, also helps to balance your muscles out. Backstroke does this too, but I mention this last because personally I hate doing this with paddles on. Make sure the lane is clear before you attempt this, or you WILL slice somebody's head open.

That should get you started [:D] . Have fun!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Prefer pool bouy to improve strength of back & arms as there is less stress on joints & a more natural stroke...however if your stroke is a bit iffy then you just get stronger at iffy..
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Ah , thanks for the advise guys. That will help.

cheers

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Just to be contrary, britspin, a pull bouy can be easily over-used and will mask a whole load of problems with body position. Also, it doesn't make swimming harder or require more effort... if anything, swimming is made easier by a pull bouy especially if you have problems with body position.

Mind you, given that many races are in wetsuits which have the same effect it might not matter. [:)]

I guess moderation is the theme. I was guilty of a bit of over-use of paddles a while ago. My comments about straining your forearms are from experience.

I'd suggest the OP and others give it all a go and see which bits you get on with.

You've reminded me to get the pull bouy out of the garage and give it a few sets.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Agreed, as I said iffy now + more training = iffy..but stronger. I like pool buoy work for the feel in the water, but I also like to do arms only without the buoy & I do occasionally slip on my neoprene gloves & get webbed for a few lengths...so to speak.