Home Chat General Chat

Inner Tube Recommendations..

Can some recommend a good inner tube please? I have in the past just brought a bulk cheap pack off eBay, but I’ve suffered a lot of punchers (also to do with the old bike’s wheels and tyres!!). As I have a new bike I want to treat her right, therefore a few extra quid for better inner tubes to fight off disappointment seems only reasonable..

Scott

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Puncture-proofing is more to do with the quality of your tyres and putting the correct pressure in them (though not too much, as I did [&:]) - see posts elsewhere.

Last time I bought tubes I got a bulk pack of Continentals from Wiggle. Dunno what to say, really... they keep the air in, the valves seem reliable... errr, they're black, which matches my frame... umm, running out of things to say, now.

I suppose that they are better than the heavyweight generic recycled nodders that you get from ebay (or Halfords). When things work you tend not to notice them.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    You can get ones with puncture resistant "stuff" in them which squeezes into any holes to seal them. Dunno how these perform speed-wise against a regular tubes.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Most shops seem to stock the specialized ones. You can get the regular black ones (in black box) which are great for everyday use, reliable, patch OK and as bopo said, really running out of things to say. They also do their super tyres which even come in a RED box! theyre pre talced and are thinner so weigh less and have less rolling resistance, though i would only really use these in races and they will degrade quicker and possibly more likely to puncture if you put lots of miles on in them. Having said that ive done about 1500k on my racing bike since august with these and have had no problems (touch wood)
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    PS from what ive heard, the stuff with the goo in isnt really very good, may help you get home if you get a small puncture, but if you shred your inner they arent any good, and add a lot of rolling resistance. Youre better getting normal inners and always carrying a spare, patch kit, levers and pump