Home Chat General Chat

Windsor Triathlon

HAs anyone done this before ?

If so I wanted to know what the bike-leg was like (olympic distance)

Hills or Flat ??

Cheers all

Comments

• pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    If it's the same as last year then the bike is gently undulating/flat - good fast course. Drafting (or rather avoiding it) is a problem at some points. Don't worry about all the traffic lights - there will be police letting you through.

Have fun!
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    how's the swim at Windsor?

I've done a few lake/dock swims but this is my first time at this event.
  • plingbootplingboot Posts: 19
    windsor swim…

swans are much bigger when you're in the water with them.

swan poo and other floating lovelies aren't very nice - save the drinking to the bike leg.

the 'fight' at the start isn't very nice.

the exit is a bit narrow - and i made an arse of it last year.

but at least you'll have some stories to tell the nurse.

My tone is based on the fact that i'm a bit nervous about sunday, based on last years experience.

thanks for all your advice. you've really settled the nerves I did have.

Which wave are you in? I'm off at 7.35
  • PC67PC67 Posts: 101
    I'll see you at 7.37am so. I'm in the 7.30am wave.

First proper attempt at a full triathlon (did Dublin in well over 3 hours in 1998, thinking my football fitness would be enough! Wrong.).

Really looking forward to it. If I can do 2 hrs 45 I'll be thrilled, 2 hrs 50 happy, slower than that I can at least be pleased that I finished (fingers crossed).

Dreading the swim as I only managed about 1200m last week in a 60m Lido in London, though stopping isn't an option on Sunday I suppose.
    Enjoyed it immensely.

Did 2:53 which was slower than I'd hoped for, but the heat was something I hadn't bargained for.

Swam in 34 mins which I was pretty pleased with though if I trained properly I'm sure there's a few minutes I can knock off.

Did the bike in 1:17. I absolutely loved the bike race, absolutely thrilling. Again, there's a few minutes to be saved with better training.

Exiting T2 I was on 1:58. I had a mental note that 1:58 was good, 2hrs was my outside target, so I felt really pleased.

However, nothing could have prepared me for the mid-morning heat combined with that hill up to the castle. Every breath was of warm air, which was like taking no breaths at all. All around me people were walking and taking rests but I thought to myself that the course was there to be conquered and taking a breather just wasn't an option. I'd normally run 10k in 47 or 48 mins and was targeting 50 mins yesterday. But once I was into my run I just told myself to go at a comfortable pace. I honestly felt that pushing myself was dangerous as I was really feeling the temperature. I didn't use a HRM but I'm experienced enough to know what my body tells me.

One major disappointment was my T1 time. 5 mins exactly. My cycling shirt got stuck over my wet shoulders. Between trying to force it down, then getting it all tangled & untangling it & starting again I lost easily 90-120 seconds. All my gadgets (spare tube, tyre levers & enegy gels) fell out the rear pocket of my shirt & I had to pick them all up again. Putting on fresh cycling shorts & socks probably cost me too.

I was also slow getting my wetsuit off, a common problem, as my arms are always sapped of energy after swimming.

T1 advice welcomed!
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Nice one PC...good time...with a better t1 then I think you'd have matched your target easilly

I think T1 advice to avoid that sorta thing would be a trisuit that you wear under you wet suit...so there is no need to change any clothing just take the wetsuit off this will speed up t2 as well as you won't need to change for running either...

Or as I did in my first tri - wear a baggy t-shirt all my tools where in an under seat pouch..and had a litre of energy drink for the bike.. and a gel (on my towl) to quickly scuff before heading out on the bike and one to have at the start of the run..it was a shorter course than your oly but its a tatic I am gonna employ for future.. you could also attached gels to the bike with elastic bands..

I haven't got a tri-suit (good review in this months 220) but after hearing tales like that I think I may invest

well done again and hope me jibbering helps

• craig75craig75 Posts: 21
    First ever tri for me (SPRINT) - open water was scary.

Clocked up 2:28:41 with a 30 mins puncture repair 5 miles into bike ride!!!!

2hrs was my target - so I guess in my heart I know I did that.

Anyone got any BANANA ARMY photos?

All the gear - and now, some idea!
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    craig - nightmare .....open water swim & puncture on your first race ...... glad you fot through it and an sure it will mtoivate you into doing more soon enough..... alwasy worth carrying at least one spair inner tube .. save you so much time on a repair (sorry easy to offer stuff in hindsight)

madnurse

Well done Craig, very unlucky with the puncture.

Tks for the T1 tips Loonytoon. I'm not sure my physique suits a trisuit, but you're right, I think I should give it a shot. But I'm definitely going to buy a pouch for my gadgets. I should also buy shares in Evans Cycles near where I work :)

I pretty much had a complete costume change at T1: new shirt, cycling shorts under my wetsuit, socks & then my cycling shoes. I should add that I also felt like gagging after I'd finished my run from the river to the bike. Not much I can do for that except train better.

If you wear a tri suit under your wetsuit how do you keep your race number dry, or is that what those number belts are for, you just slip it on once your wetsuit is off?

Anyone else struggle with the heat, or is that just a lame excuse?
    your race numbers are usually water proofed (ish) & pretty hard wearing.... i prefer to use a race belt & simply chuck it on after the swim. not all races allow belts so is back to pinning it on whic is best done before putting wetsuit on pver top (this were a tri wife comes in handy).

mad
    Well done craig for finishing!!!

There were a lot of people walking back to transition yesterday from the bike leg. Fail to prepare...prepare to fail.

Saddle bag for your spare tube is highly recommended. Don't bother with a repair kit just a couple of spare tubes. Saves a lot of time should you be unfortunate.

Yesterday the run was a killer in the heat. I was warned for the hill but nothing can prepare you for it first time round.

I did manage to finish the olympic in 2:46:09. Having run this distance only once before at London last year in 2:45:53 I was well pleased.

Looking forward to London in August now. Come on the 2:30's
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Well done to all for taking part and finishing. Jealous as I still have 3 weeks to go until my first.

I like the "fail to prepare...prepare to fail" quote. Seems so appropriate.

Regarding the Trisuit, I bought a Saucony Kona Trisuit from sportsshoes.com for £24.99, half price! At that price I thought its worth a go.

Got strange looks running past the parade of shops in it at 8:30 saturday morning so be prepared for the reaction.
    wella.

just looked at sportshoes.com and there are some great deals on running gear there.

Shall keep that on my favourties list for future refrence.

cheers, good luck.
    hi rew - that sportshoes.com - is it a company in holland ??? or am being a tit & looking in wrong place on web

madnurse
    sorry nurse spelt it wrong.

try www.sportsshoes.com
    thats better - thanks
    No probs Rew.

Just one of those sites that google throws up from time to time and its actually pretty useful.

Trisuit was delivered on saturday and used for my brick session. Took a bit of getting used to as it feels completely different to cycling shorts and top.

And if it saves me time and transition and makes the race easier all the better.
    witha trisuit T1 is just shoes on helmet on and go ...... cant fault it .. i had rreally good times last weeknd in part thanks to mine

madnurse
    Do you attach your shoes to your bike ready to go?

Looks like a dangerous stunt to me.
    I havent ... as yet ... but having said that I am now practising to leave my shoes on my bike as I go into T2 ... little steps towards glory and all that !!!!!

madnurse

• We are professional company which located in southeast of China .We specialize in exporting Nike trainer/clothing/bag , and some world popular brand product.

Having professional staffs and our own factory , we also produce according to your designative styles . We will do our best to meet your demand in the mutual benefit and concession.

Our Aim=TOP QUALITY+BEST PRICE+FAST DELIVERY+BEST SERVICE[/b]

With our enterprise aim of “Clients First , Reputation First”, we sincerely welcome the customers at home or abroad to get in touch with us .

Any of our items meet your interest at anytime , please don’t hesitate to contact us – [color=#800080]Http://www.tradechinamaking.com[/color]

MSN:shoearea@yahoo.com.cn

E-mail:shoearea@yahoo.com.cn[/align]
  • ID0001ID0001 Posts: 4

Our company is exporting all famous and popular brand shoes in wholesale and retail, welcome you to visit our web http://www.tradechinamaking.com

to select the styles you like. We guarantee you will satisfied with our good quality, competitive price and fast delivery.

MSN:shoearea@yahoo.com.cn

E-mail:shoearea@yahoo.com.cn[/align]