Home Chat General Chat

losing excess weight and time saved!

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
Well, dear fellow triathletes, here's a tip that can save you minutes on olympic distance tri's.

No red, carbon, shaving or mumbo jumbo involved. No shameless commerce or doping.

Just a simple link that let's you see how much time you can save during the bike leg of the tri.

It involves weight loss (sorry, there are numerous threads about 'How to lose weight', so nothing about that here). This calculator is for biking, but the benefits continue during the run leg.

Did the test for a person of 90kg(rider+bike weight); If he/she loses 2.8kg, that would shave off 2 whole minutes over the bike leg alone already.

Have fun watching the minutes fly of the scales!![:D]

http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLessWeight_Page.html

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Very interesting.

Didn't really want to lose any weight but might drop a couple of kilos and see what impact it has.

It's going to be difficult though because I LOVE food.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Well... I've always said to myself that I'm not going to spend a fortune on lightweight bike components until I have no spare fat on my body. Unfortunately, I have never really got around to losing the spare fat...

So, the tool has told me that if I drop from 86kg to 80kg I will be nearly 4mins faster over 40km and that 'thin-me' will be about 1.5km ahead of 'fat-me'.

Of course, the tool makes assumptions about wind and gradient, but the point is well taken. I'll start losing weight after this donut.
  • found this table about running and time saved.:

http://completerunning.com/archives/2007/06/08/lose-weight-get-faster/

as I'm looking to lose 10-15kg - I should get about 40-60secs a mile quicker....

Anyway Benny 90kgs including bike!!!! Never gonna happen.. (even with 15kg loss!!)

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Bopomofo wrote:

Well... I've always said to myself that I'm not going to spend a fortune on lightweight bike components until I have no spare fat on my body. Unfortunately, I have never really got around to losing the spare fat...

So, the tool has told me that if I drop from 86kg to 80kg I will be nearly 4mins faster over 40km and that 'thin-me' will be about 1.5km ahead of 'fat-me'.

Of course, the tool makes assumptions about wind and gradient, but the point is well taken. I'll start losing weight after this donut.

Presumably thin Bopo would be even quicker. Unlike just riding a lighter bike, you would be both lighter and able to output more power from your body.

You'll be OK with the donut though, so long as it has red jam in it...
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Stick to just eating the hole of the donut and you'll lose weight in a jiffy.
    Actually, 220 has just fallen through my letterbox with a pack of 'ride shots' sweeties attached as an alternative to the donut. 198 calories in the pack... I feel faster (fatter?) already.

mmmmm... nom nom nom nom nom....
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Can't be true or scientific if its not porridge or red or carbon related....Scott how come you get pinker each time I see you?...so to speak.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Ask yourself ... Will I go faster with or without a 5kg bag of fat strapped to my bike?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    treefrog wrote:

Ask yourself ... Will I go faster with or without a 5kg bag of fat strapped to my bike?

My scales this morning tell me I've lost 10lb this year. Yay [:D] Hopefully I will be faster as a result. Not changing the signature line yet though.

..and as benny has pointed out, will you be quicker or slower with the same bag strapped to your backside on the run?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I remember 2 years going for a run around the village and thought I would pop into the co-op to get some juice. Off I went with a little rucksac, no probs; into the shop, 3 cartons of juice later I was really struggling. It really brought home what impact carrying my excess lard was having. Since then I have dropped from 75+Kgs to 65Kg and struggling to lose the last 1 or hopefully 2, feeling much fitter, looking much better and running faster