Home Chat General Chat

21 year old pro cyclist dies!

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
Belgian pro cyclist Frederiek Nolf dies during his sleep last night. He was competing in the 'Tour of Qatar', which is having its 5th stage today.

His team retires from the race, all other teams do a closed race; everyone stays together, no real racing.

Frederiek was turning 22 next week.

[:(]

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Very sad.

Condolences obviously.....

......but 21 and heart attack?????????

But lets not jump the gun.

How sad that this is my first thought not genetics - however with cycling how many others will think the same?

Very sad.

G
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    i had similar a thought - sad isn't it? shows how intrinsically linked cycling and drugs can be in the public's mind
  • I thought it maybe the illness that is mentioned lots. Suprised everyone just thinks drugs!

www.c-r-y.org.uk

• Perhaps you're more knowledgeable about the subject, gaterz, but as far as I was aware, people who have died from SDS usually had pre existing medical conditions that would preclude them from top flight sport.

I am a staunch defender of cycling and am still adamant that cycling is by far the cleanest sport and that the real difference between cycling and all other sports is that cycling catches its cheats. In this case though, I would be surprised if it turned out the kid wasn't using EPO. There have been many reports over the years of kids dieing in their sleep when their heart gave up on pumping round their thickened EPO enhanced blood. I hope I'm wrong because it would be sad to see it happening again.

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Its not unusual to find heart defects in top sportsmen, after all Javier Gomez has been stopped competing in the past due to a heart valve defect.

Really sad though.
  • The heart can suffer from "SDS" as the body gets fitter showing no signs whatsoever. Seen write ups on it. Scares the crap outta me!