Home Chat General Chat

deep rim wheels?

i'm looking to invest in rear & front deep rim wheels. But there's so much choice out there; does anyone have any recommendations? Are they even worth the investment for Olympic distance?

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Depends how quick you are already. They are quick, but they dont give the same increase in time that solid training will. Having said that though, if youve got the money why not! As for recommendations, i would go for Zipp 404/606/808 or the HED equivalents
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I have Planet X carbon 50 wheels, theyre fairly light, very well made and are amazing value for money.
  • I like the look of the "dalkiia sixzero" i think they called. Dont know how they perform though?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I was thinking about the planet x ones, possibly the 101/82s if they get them back in stock, a bargain at 450.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Try any of the top brands you cannot go wrong. Zipp 1080's and 808's are excellent as are Corimas. Expect to pay over a grand for a good set
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Have any experienced road warriors used those Planet-X wheels? For the price I quite fancied a 101 or 82 rear and the 50 front on the basis that the 50 should be useable pretty much in all conditions.

Anyway, mindful that if it looks too good to be true then it probably is, I kind of assumed that the P-X wheels were really heavy and had poor braking surfaces or some other cost reduction.

It's all irrelevant anyway until they get clinchers back in stock at these sizes.

If not, and assuming all goes well in the coming months financially, then my next stop would be HED 3. Again... any recommendations or cautions?
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I have PX 50s, they arent a heavy wheel at all. Any case once youre moving you dont really notice 100grams extra, its more acceleration and hill climbing where weight is a major issue. The braking surface on all carbon wheels gets a bit of grief, havnt noticed any excess wear on mine and theyve done about 400miles.

If you dont want to spend huge dosh on wheels then PX are an option to consider as are HED.

PX did have a good deal on clinchers where you get the wheels, rim tape, Schwalbe ultremo tubes and tyres for 550 odd quid.

• I've just invested in a pair of Dalkiia six zeros as they are a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than HED wheels and Plant X. They actually have the same hubs as HED do anyway. I think the difference in weight is only marginal and unlikely to make any huge difference to me as an amateur. Plus, I agree with gaterz1981, they look great! [:)]

• So glad to hear somebody has got a set...i must start saving now [:)] They look sooooooo smart!

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Had a look around on the net and can't find the Dalkiia's anywhere cheaper than the Planet X!?

Where did you guys find that??
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    For a change I agree with Treefrog,the Corima aero + really are things of beauty and substance,and their tri spokes are not that much different in price.
  • I got the Dalkiias from www.gbcycles.co.uk. Think they're out of stock at the moment but keep an eye out because I couldn't find them any cheaper. Planet X are retailing £599 but GB cycles were doing Dalkiias for £479. Hope this helps!
  • Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and experiences with the deep rim wheels. With your tips and links, i have one more question - on the Planet X website it refers to possible problems with handling for riders un 65kg. I'm quite a bit under that (yes folks - "I'm a lady"!). Anyone any thoughts on that please?[8|]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Try the Corima Aeros. Remember that all deep section wheels will be affected by cross winds to some degree. I have used the Corimas for 3 years and have have no major handling problems. They were also reccommended to me by an older .. sorry ... more experienced guy over Zipps for this reason. Having said that I may treat myself to some Zipps later in the year
  • Thanks for that, will get off to the bike shop for a bit of cyclotherapy and check out your recs (when I can get out of this snow!!)
  • I've just purchased a set of Qoroz deep rim wheels from Andy at Kinetic-One. I'm waiting for them to arrive but have done extensive research into this over the last year or so since getting a TT bike. I paid less than half of what you would pay for Hed/FFWD/Zipp's etc. The bottom line is that the rim/tyre apparently needs to be greater than 5cm to make a difference but if you go much deeper then you run into control issues when crosswinds hit. If I were you, I would log onto Andy's site at www.kinetic-one.co.uk as he has some awesome bikes which are custom-fitted to your dimensions & a good choice of wheels too. Good luck!