Home Chat General Chat

Change of training

Sounds hardcore.....just leave some energy for the cycle/swim training. [;)]

Comments

• Since joining the gym a month ago, I have just generally done a little cardio and some weights not really having a specific goal. Since deciding I want to get into triathlon, I have changed my training starting today.

I started with 30 mins on the treadmill starting with 10 mins at a brisk walk (7km) then upped it to running at 10km with an upwards incline of 3. After 10 mins of this I went to a brisker walk of 8km for 4 mins before climbing an incline of 7 running at 9km for 3 minutes, I then sprinted on the flat at 12km.

Then I did one of the varial hill climbing profiles on the bike at between 92 and 104 rpm level 7 for 30 mins.

I was knackered but remember I am just getting back into this after 2 years of no excercise at all. Am I gonna be ok starting at this pace or am I doing too much or even not enough. ??[&:]

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I would reccomend a heart rate monitor, I would go for a Polar one as they can generaly be used in conjunction with most gym cardio machines. This way youll have a good representation of the effort you are putting in. You can calculate (roughly) your max HR by subtracting your age from 220, then you can work with you HR monitor to make sure you are putting a good effrort in (not to hard but not too easy).

Dont forget to encorporate ample rest into your schedule as the stresses you are putting on your body after 2 years off will start to show in the form of injuries if not too careful. As (like me) your an ex-squadie I'll say stop being a big girl and get on with it.......[;)][:D]

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Your body will let you know the next day if you did to much the day before. It would be a good idea to look at some sort of plan that will ease you in and keep you improving.

i made my own but was run fit when I started. i marked my wieght lose down along with how I felt after each training session to evaluate which training I need to work on and which to up the intensity in.

Dont forget that your weight lose will change as you train. It will go down quicker to start with then slow down. Dont lose the motavation!

hang in there its a long round but the rewards are worth every drop of sweet.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I think that as soon as the weather clearsup that you should get out and do it for real. Start small and grow bigger - 4 to 5kM running on a looped course and then 20kM on the bike. Once you are comfortable with this start to push it and be hard on yourself then