Home Chat General Chat

Benefits of TT over Road bike???

Speaking to a friend last night, he stated that as I am looking to do a Half Ironman this year, I should forget buying a road bike and get a Triathlon/TT frame. I explained that the bike course is not exactly flat and therefore had been advised to go for the road bike option. He then went on to say that the the position you take up on a Triathlon bike uses less of the muscles involved in running and therefore sets you up better for the run.

Does anyone know how much I would benefit from having a Triathlon set up over the road bike. I realise it will also be a personal thing, but there must be some sort of study that shows the pros and cons..........

I am also wary that Half Ironmans are not a regular thing for me and I am much more likely to continue with Olympic races. Would the shorter distance negate the need for the TT set up?

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Yup, a TT bike does indeed make the transition to run a little easier. But buying one as your only bike could narrow your race choice. A TT bike is a superb choice for rolling non technical rides (london, windsor, brighton, switzerland 70.3, austria 70.3 etc....) but on tight nadgery courses they may proove a little bit of a pain.

But on hilly courses (uk 70.3, monaco 70.3 etc....) a road bike would be the weapon of choice for most mortals. This is down to geometry of frame, handle bar (aero bar) position, both of which on a TT bike suit arse up, head down flat out attack mode, not sitting upright grinding up a hill.

Sorted, clear as mud...............

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I have a shed load of bikes and for most of the year I train on my road bike but coming up to the race season I train exclusively on the tri bike. What I mean is you have to get used to the position and the geometry, if you don't rain on it you will actually go slower than on the road bike.

The secret is get well set up and train on it. Tri specific geometry does make transition easier and is more aero and lends itself to faster and agressive riding but it is quite uncomfortable so therefore you must train on it and equally this discomfort makes it impractical to train on long term - hence the requirement for a road bike

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I'm also thinking very vaguely about going for my first 70.3 this year. Mindful of treefrog's advice, I tend to stick to my aero-bars as much as possible when training, though for my base training I haven't even bothered fitting them to my bike yet - if I go out for a 'small ring only' zone 1 ride then there's not much point trying to be Mr. Aero while doing it.

I'm converting the new steed to a 'proper' TT front end (with matching changes to seating position, of course) for my main season, such as it is, but will very likely go back to a road bike + clip-ons for my possible 70.3. This will simply be because of my lack of experience at the longer distances. I'll want to give myself as many seating positions as possible.

Also, I'm now becoming aware that regardless of how much easier the run might be if you are seated over the crank when cycling, my own style tends to make me want to push back and up in the seat. I have recently read a study that says such riders may not get any benefit from a TT geometry.

All of this is based on my personal experience of putting a fair few miles in and getting comfortable on a well-fitted bike. I guess that's the key.

For example: On my old bike, which is an average fit when on the drops but is perfect on the clip-ons I will sit in an aero position out of preference and comfort.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    As said before in numerous threads by me and other people:

GO BUY A Cervélo Soloïst[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m4.gif[/image]

Road and TT-geometry in one bike: by altering the special seat post, you shift from road to TT position easily. It won't be as agressive as a mean machine like the P3C or the P4, but that probably isn't what most of us are looking for. If you want the aero advantadge of TT combined with the comfort of road, this is the one to go for. If you have extra budget go for the Carbon version(also has red in it!!!).

Last but not least, the advantadge continues on the run: you'll slash off minutes with no extra training!

Who'd say no to that??

I rode a Ridley triton before this soloist, which was a great bike, for sure! But when I got the Cervelo, I did the test on my second ride. I did a 20k ride followed by T2 and 5k run(I do this test often).

My bike leg time was approx same as my PB(after second ride, still had to get used to the bike), but the run afterwards was amazing! Scraped off a full minute from my PB. A full minute on 5K!!!!!!

The best advice I can give you on this forum on subject of bikes:

-Get a Cervelo soloist(carbon?)

-if not: stretch your budget as far as you can(yes, even further), get the best bike you can.

-whatever you buy: get it fitted properly! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m4.gif[/image]ULTIMATE TIP[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m4.gif[/image]

Keep on TRI-ing everyone!
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    A TT bike is a superb choice for rolling non technical rides (london, windsor, brighton, switzerland 70.3, austria 70.3 etc....) but on tight nadgery courses they may proove a little bit of a pain.

Not strictly in line with the overall post but I was about to start a new thread when I saw this.

Do others agree with MG on Switzerland? I'm doing Switzerland 70.3 this summer and don't know anyone who has done it. The profile seems to show 1 relatively small climb (twice) suggesting it would be a good route for a TT bike. My wife wants to cycle the course with me on the warm up days so I want to bring her bike and my TT bike rather than both my bikes but I don't want to show up with my TT bike and discover I've done the wrong thing. I do about 2:45 on a dead smooth course so I'm no speed king, but I climb badly so if the hill is nasty, I'd rather be on my road bike. Any views most welcome.