Home Chat General Chat

Bike maintenance in wet/dry conditions

Hi

I've just managed my first run out on my bike, nothing to long, i did 20k. Its cold and wet out there but i really enjoyed it. Here's my question....

....when you back from your ride and the bikes coated in crud, you wash it down with the hose pipe and then what? Should i be oiling/greasing/drying areas? (not on me, on the bike!).

What's the general procedure to help keep you bike it top spec.

Thanks

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Try that thread, but basically factor the wash up and WD 40 session in as part of your ride, otherwise your bike will suffer
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Try that thread, but basically factor the wash up and WD 40 session in as part of your ride, otherwise your bike will suffer

..or factor in the trip down to the LBS to buy a nice shiny new one, treefrog.[:D]

Seriously, yeah, in this weather it is the final part of a brick session.... bike, run, wash your bike and at least spray it. Even if you just do the chainset, hubs and check the tyres you'll be doing yourself a favour. Takes less than 10 minutes.
  • Get full mudguards on your winter trainer, looks dodgy but you wont hear me complaining about them! Frame stays quite clean so just drivetrain and picking flint out of tyres req'd. Wash once week.
  • Hi there, I'm new and will introduce myself in another thread. Just wanted to say that my bike goes in the shower before I do after a long wet ride, then gets a wipe and a spray and tyres checked. Takes very little time and is easy to do as the bike fits just right under the shower.

Husband thinks I'm totally mad - but what's new.

blurredgirl
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Blurredgirl wrote:

Hi there, I'm new and will introduce myself in another thread. Just wanted to say that my bike goes in the shower before I do after a long wet ride, then gets a wipe and a spray and tyres checked. Takes very little time and is easy to do as the bike fits just right under the shower.

Husband thinks I'm totally mad - but what's new.

blurredgirl

This is an astoundingly simple idea! Even better for me as I have a downstairs wetroom. Can I damage the bike doing this? I've heard jetwashing them is a bad idea as it may loosen components, but a shower wouldn't be such high pressure.

Also I (my wife) would be concerned about clogging up the drain with mud and stones?
  • Indeed - much kinder than a hose or similar power sprayer. You might want to use a brush for the more stubborn dirt.

As for stones etc - I drop one of those wee little sieves designed for plugholes over the drain as mine is the right size. If you get into the habit of cleaning your bike this way, you could make something out of mesh that fits your drain, to catch all the major crud.

blurredgirl
  • Take your bike into the shower??? My misses would go absolutely mental!

And I'm sorry...but to bring back this story, surely you're just one step away [:D]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm