Home Chat General Chat

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and quite new to triathlon. I did my first race last May and have competed in 5 races since. I'm totally addicted and now want to keep going for as long as my poor old body will hold out - I'm no spring chicken. Health problems last year stopped me from doing any Olympic distances - all my races have been sprints so far, but I'm hoping to finally get to do the standard distance a few times this season, training is going well at last. I came third in my category at Brighton last year - so I'm motivated to do better this year!

Hoping to get some tips from the forum, it's been really useful whilst I've been a lurker.

Thanks

blurredgirl

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Welcome to the fold!

Sounds like you could chip in with some tips yourself.

3rd at brighton sounds like a motovator to me. i just want to finish.
  • Hi Blurredgirl

Congratulations for last season, sounds like you're a natural. I'm a newbie myself having never competed but with plans to do 5-6 races this year....first one in 10 weeks or so. I have a newbie type question...

....what are the categories? I have heard the term age-groupers, i guess there are age categories, if so what are they and are there any other categories?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The BT website prob has age categories on it somewhere..me I'm in the Old B*****ds group, having moved up from the old enough to know better group.
  • is there a group for "Those with a knackered old carcus" ???
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Age groups are defined as follows (with official category descriptions):

15-19: "Over-talented little sh*ts"

20-24: "Prime of life"

25-29: "Still going"

30-34: "I used to be sporty when I was younger"

35-39: "Oh no, I'm nearly 40... time to prove I'm not dead yet"

40-44: "Mid-life crisis but can't afford a sports car so spent too much money on a bike instead"

45-49: "Mid-life crisis is worse than I thought"

50-54: "Will they never learn?"

55-59: "Old enough to know better"

60-64: "Tough old b*****ds"
  • Couldn't afford the bike either......[;)]

blurredgirl
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Bopomofo wrote:

40-44: "Mid-life crisis but can't afford a sports car so spent too much money on a bike instead"

Loving the quotes! Remember at oswestry sprint last year there was a guy who was 75 i think, who beat me and most of the other people and when he went to get his trophy missed a step on the way down, and just jumped the rest as if he was about 20! maybe its worth having the over extended mid-life crisis...
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    agent_ti wrote:

ORIGINAL: Bopomofo

Loving the quotes! Remember at oswestry sprint last year there was a guy who was 75 i think, who beat me and most of the other people and when he went to get his trophy missed a step on the way down, and just jumped the rest as if he was about 20! maybe its worth having the over extended mid-life crisis...

In tris or running races I invariably have a pension age competitor speed past me at some point.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    There are far too many young, fit people who take part in Triathlons! They should be handicapped, e.g. 1/2 Kg lead weight to be carried for every year under 50, for those over 50 one small helium baloon for each year ... it's a thought.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I too have been overtaken by both pensioners and 15 year olds (or at least they looked that young to me).

I'm just jealous that I didn't start tri when I was 14, and hopeful that I'm still at it when I'm 70.