Home Chat General Chat

Wetsuit questions

Hi,

I bought my first proper triathlon wetsuit and I'm looking forward to using it.....

Just looking for a little advise.

1. Should I use it in the pool so I get used to it?

2. Is there any special care after using - ie talc or dry properly ect?

3. and I've heard of this bode glide stuff, is this for getting off easier or to stop rubbing, I heard people use baby oil?

Any tips would be excellent!

Comments

• I've just purchased my first one too and following on from Graham's questions can anyone suggest the correct way of getting out of the suit.

I can get it on easily enough but for the life of me I have great difficultly taking it off, particularily the legs.. (although I've only ever done it when I'm dry!!)

Cheers

Scott

• EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    it is suggested that you always use body glide or similair product rather than vaseline as the vaseline will over time eat your wetsuit, not sure what happens with baby oil?

The best thing is to try gettting out of it WET. It is useful to put whatever lube you are using both on your lower legs and arms and the OUTSIDE of your wetsuit, cuffs and ankles then it should come off a treat in transition.

As for after care they say you should always rinse in water then dry it and then don't fold it as the neoprene will crease and not un crease. hope this helps.

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    scott_burrows wrote:

I can get it on easily enough but for the life of me I have great difficultly taking it off, particularily the legs.. (although I've only ever done it when I'm dry!!)

Isn't it supposed to be the other way round!?!?! It takes me ages putting mine on, trying not to rip it etc, but getting it off I undo the neck, whip the zip down then pull it off me, and give the arms a good yank whilst pulling the arm of the suit the other way with my free hand, then pull it down to my waist. To get it off the legs, pull it down til you can stand on most of the suit, then with one leg stand on the suit, and pull the other leg up quickly and then repeat on the other leg. Though using body glide will help a treat
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    The problem I have getting it off is getting it over the ankles without it bunching up. Like Scott I've not tried that wet though, which I understand is easier?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    The ankles are the hard part! Seen some videos of people who undo it faster than you can say: 'RED'.

Vaseline is forbidden: a like any other petroleum based product, this breaks down the glued stiches of the suit. Body Glide is the better option. The cheapest option (the one I always use): Olive oil!!!
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlUyg_-QuVI

This is along the lines of what I was trying to describe...
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

You might not like the sound of the idea, but if you trim the bottoms of the legs a bit, it will come off more easily...
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    WOW that was quick!

I suppose thats how i'll imagine myself doing it - truth will probably be me rolling around on the floor with both legs stuck. I've ordered some body glide....

When is the water warm enough, I can't wait to get in now!