Home Chat General Chat

heavy bike training.

it has taken me so long to get used to my bike, that i dont want to switch to a different bike for training. So........... i have filled my bottles with loose chippings water and some sand. this gives my bike an additional 3kg of weight, i have also strapped 2kg of wrist weights to the crossbar, giving my bike an additional total of 5kg.

i am using last years training millage, which saw me over dreadded hills in nice during the im{whilst passing many a 4k cervelo or other}, so i know i have the basics some what right.

tha plan is to train with this additional weight until im ausrtia ,and i also plan to benefit from some light wheels which i will keep untill race day.

the plan is obvious.

is it ok? has anyone tried similar?

cheers.

john.

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    We used to do a similar thing in rowing - we attatched a bungee aroud the hull of the boat - it created a huge amount of drag and we got stronger and faster? Our coach would not let us do this all the time and even not all the time within a session because we would lose feeling for the boat.

I've heard of cyclists doing this before for hill repeats where extra weight has a big effect but have not heard of anyone doing it in general training rides.

Like the boat with a bungee make sure you don't lose the feel for the bike and make sure that the weights do not effect the handling of the bike? Maybe you would be better strapping the weight to yourself?

• I also train with extra weight on my bike, and do this routinely every Winter. It certainly won't hurt your training; as long as you're not so tired after a long ride, that it affects a later run or other session.
  • just back from a 15k test ride, with a big 1 mile hill on it, and t.b.h. on the flats , i didint notice it at all once up to speed. on the hill, it it definitly was a lot harder, but still managable.

handling was unafected. i think this is due to the weight being close to the bikes c og g anyway.

this seems all good to me, should be a pleasant suprise on race day.

i will continue........

thanks for the input guys.

john.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

You wuss. Get a running parachute, or drag a tyre. And don't change gear.

Then come back and tell us about it!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    You can get exactly the sane effect by simply being overweight. Easy.

If you can't afford a parachute you can strap a sheet of plasterboard to your back.

Just one comment... I'd thought about loading up my bike as well, but got a bit nervous about the idea of putting too much weight into the bottle cages. Those two small screws that hold them on could easily strip their threads out of the frame. I guess it could always be rethreaded on a alloy frame, but for a carbon frame with a built in retaining bolt you could be looking at a very expensive mistake (frame write-off?).

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    When i commute on my bike I'm carried a backpack with swimming kit, shower gels, lunch, drinks tonns of friut - this must have a similar effect to the 'weight' training.

I'm getting a new spinivals DVD tomorrow called bending the crank - If it works things could get expensive!
  • baggy clothing's the way forwd, you'll soon notice the difference, even downhill.

A little soul distroying at the time though watching your h.r rise and your adv speed plumitt

• a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    Added a few extra kilo's (maybe 15kg) to my turbo trainer bike and have bairly noticed any difference at all, must be getting fitter???[:D]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    yes, tha will be it...brings back the brick & frog memories....
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I forgot to post that I train on a single speed during my build period, it really works when you have no gears in reserve and no freewheel facility. Try it