Home Chat General Chat

Loss of technique in swimming after weight loss

Hi all,

Have any of you ever experienced trouble with your swim after losing weight? I recently managed to get rid of 3kg of blubber[:D] but am now feeling less buoyant and can't seem to glide so well in the water[:@]

How did you deal with it? I mean I can see lots of triathletes who are thinner than myself...and they swim pretty well!

Thanks [;)]

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    -Get the 3 kg of blubber back (probably the easiest solution[:D]).

-Get some coached swimlessons on technique.

-Start swimming the TI-way (= Total Immersion). If bouyancy and position in the water is your problem, then you'll be helped a great deal with TI. (This is defo the hardest solution,but maybe the best one [8|]).
  • Lol thanks but that's the thing..I don't usually have problems with position in water...so I'm finding it pretty strange! I do have a swimming coach. Was mostly wondering if anyone else had experienced the same thing!
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    Hi trimalta

exactly the same thing happened to me when I started training for triathlon, my back became sore due to loss of my belly.

Bennys comments are good about getting some guidance in technique.

I find the problem disappeared when using a wetsuit in open water, so try to do more of this in the summer.

doing lengths with a pull bouy also seems to help.

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

I'm also a sinker :-( but trying to learn TI, which doesn't seem to have made me faster but does seem to be less effort. I also find a wetsuit a great help!
  • hmmmmm well I just did a fat test today and turns out I lost loads of fat from my arms and legs and NONE from my tummy [:@]...apparently that's why I'm feeling different in the water cos normally I float along quite nicely.

With regards to wetsuits, well it's only cold enough for wetsuits here from December to Mid-April (and some people still feel fine without!). Water was 23degC so far. So I'm not so used to it and it feels so weird with it that I'm normally slower and gasping for breath! Oh dear....

Funny thing is that I swam my fastest (26:40 1500m!) at my heaviest so blubber does count for something. Of course you pay for it in the bike and run!

• TriMalta,

I don't want to sound mean in anyway so don't take the wrong way but you are funny. Pretty humorous really.

TriMalta wrote:

hmmmmm well I just did a fat test today and turns out I lost loads of fat from my arms and legs and NONE from my tummy [:@]...apparently that's why I'm feeling different in the water cos normally I float along quite nicely.

With regards to wetsuits, well it's only cold enough for wetsuits here from December to Mid-April (and some people still feel fine without!). Water was 23degC so far. So I'm not so used to it and it feels so weird with it that I'm normally slower and gasping for breath!  Oh dear....

Funny thing is that I swam my fastest (26:40 1500m!) at my heaviest so blubber does count for something. Of course you pay for it in the bike and run!

• Well...I'll take that as a compliment :)

Anyway - the good news is that over time my swimming technique adapted...and it's back to feeling good in the water!

Time, patience, and time in the water is what does the trick!