Home Chat General Chat

Eton Supersprint Saturday

Im doing this event this year, it will be my second tri (first being Skipton Sprint) and Ill be travelling form London. First of all, has anyone done this event and what is it like? Is there decent changing rooms? I won't be able to take Friday off so will be travelling up in the morning, would it be better to travel late fri and book a room?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions

Thanks

Samuel

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I'd hesitate to use the word 'bleak' but I can't really think of another that describes Eton lake! Be prepared for a strong crosswind.
  • I did a sprint tri there last year, and as Jules quite rightly said the course is quite bleak / featureless, however, it was one of the first tastes of triathlon for me - the organisation was superb, the facilities were fine and the race was a gentle introduction into the world of triathlon.... For me, it was a great experience - Good luck!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    What time did it start? would I need to stay over night or would turning up on the morning (from central london) be ok?

Samuel
  • You'd be more than ok just travelling in the morning. There are average changing facilities at the rowing building. They are only average in that they are small for the possible large number of people who could be using them at any given time. The facilities are good though.

As the rest have put, the course is fairly monotonous and is a lap course. However, the event is really well run and will ultimately depend on the wind on the day. I've raced there (for my sins) 3 times and got battered twice. Choppy swims, and one half of the bike course feeling almost backwards.

Having said that, I can't think of a better venue and course for a newbie to the tri-world. Easy to get too. Well ran. Flat course.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I did this race last year on the Sunday, and thought it was great. Travelled from London and it was only about 30 min on the road. Changing was in the obligatory portaloos by transition (always fun) and our wave had no issues with crosswinds as far as I can remember. I found the run really good as its a flat out and back twice, so you can see exactly how far youve got to go. Just remember where you parked or you will wandering around for 15 min like we did. Its a busy race!
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    @sfuller - where in london are you coming from?
    Islington area. You in London?
    yep - down lewisham way - i am going to bomb around the m25 at some ludicrously early hour i think
    You in a Tri club? Im thinking about joining Tri London.
    no - not presently - have thought about it but not sure i can dedicate enough time