Home Chat General Chat

motivation

anyone else struggling this week? I just can't get motivated what with the weather and long work hours. suddenly feel very unfit

on the plus side, i just ordered a new mountain bike on the cycle2work scheme - can't wait for delivery[:D]

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I've been struggling for about a week, no motivation and generally feeling down. I'm thinking its time to see a doc incase there is underlying problem.

May just be the weather, but I feel its going on to long now.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I too had a very tough time lately. I initally blamed the crap weather but it also turned out that I had/have a bad tooth infection which was sapping my will to train. Got it sorted got myself a little gift and got at it again.

For those lacking motivation I would say do one of the following...

1. Force yourself out (remember the first 20 mins is the worst)

2. Arrange a session with somebody else

3. Take a rest - your body may be telling you something

4. Do something different - trail running, rowing, whatever?

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Sorry folks, I feel good this week!
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    that's not helping jules[;)]

i did just force myself out for a 5km run on the treadmill - 22.30 which is good for me

feel slightly better about life
  • lost motivation?

you must have goal to be properly motivated. And if you still have that goal, and you really want to reach it then you MUST be motivated. Is it your goal (or list of goals) that needs attention! The more goals you have in place the more motivated you'll be.

And to be mega-motivated, try to think of how you will feel when you reach your goals, and the knock on effects reaching your goals will have, like your wife/husband/kids being proud of you (this one works for me when i'm feeling tired), your personal satisfaction of having completed your goal. Its a real boost to your whole self when you do something that wasn't easy.

Come on folks, its for you! It's what defines us.
  • I'm 'unfortunately' also having a pretty damn good week. And just had my 220 magazine sent on from my old place (must change the delivery address) with loads of cool stuff for going long.

When I'm down, I like to go back to my plans and past training diaries and race times to get some drive. I think the fact I am doing the Ironman K and I am having nightmares about it, means I am pretty determined and motivated all the time!

Re-address a goal, make a new short term one! Get someone to tell you that won't be able to repeat that 5km treadmill run in 22:30!!! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I cant complain either but that cant be much help if we all seem to be well up for it.

Think about the fact that a bad week is made better by a good hard one next week!

I;ll just disappear now and run 5 K

BYE
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    If you are feeling a lack of motivation, then why not take a day off? Bit controversial but its probably your body trying to tell you something, and a rest day will probably do you good. Plus, when you come back to training the day after, you will be even more motivated to train
  • that or go buy some new trainging gear, make's ya wanna go out for a run just to show it off

• jonnnijonnni Posts: 32
    What is going on? I have also had a major low this week - even had wine on Thursday and tonight - first time since Jan 1st!

Bad bad bad bad boy!

but on the plus side have dropped 2 kg and 2% body fat in that time

Good boy....

But only from 22% to 20% so still 10% to go to get with elite group

But Mrs Jonnni is away next week so will train every day and that crappy freezing whether has gone so will get back on the bike - 1st time since knee op in October

go on one more glass won't hurt!
  • I'm so unmotivated i didn't get round to replying to this tread untill today!!! there is a duathlon on next week but its somehow not getting me excited...will go for usual 10mile run tomorrow morning with running gang hope that'll help...............also sent my bike to the garage for overhaul (clips/bars/new tyres)!!
  • Motivation you're after??

This tends to do the trick for me! Make sure and have speakers on when watching! F%$king brilliant!!!!

Keeps my chin up for my first half ironman this summer and hopefully full IM next summer (taking my time and savouring each step upwards :))

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFvoGRPiCU

Enjoy!!!
  • Sorry - me again - just another one to motivate you a bit when your heads down a bit and you are thinking training is hard or you can't be bothered.

Take a watch of this then reassess your thoughts... Can you complete your own personal goals??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7w8hV90SI
  • thanks for that... filling up at my desk I was. And I can't tell my colleagues I'm what I'm watching as I'm supposed to be working! They must think I'm having problems at home.

Still, puts me to shame... there I was thinking I might give my run a miss tonight. I'm gonna double it now.
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    had to shut that down early - can't blub at desk [:(]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    shadowone1 wrote:

I've been struggling for about a week, no motivation and generally feeling down. I'm thinking its time to see a doc incase there is underlying problem.

May just be the weather, but I feel its going on to long now.

Hmm.. Don't be afraid to take a break. Review your goals, while goals are good, they need to be realistic: set some mini ones - like "an easy cycle ride over some beautiful scenery, followed by a nice meal". Find someone to tell you "you are great!"

Oh, forgot to say, you're great!
  • .......i have no words.......

[clapping]
  • Can't get the link to open, and I'm desparate some for Friday afternoon distraction! [:@]