Home Chat General Chat

Chlorine allergy?

Hi all! Seeking advice from you guys, please!

Am loving swim-training; loathing chlorine!... Can anyone recommend a solution to runny-nose/sneeze syndrome after swimming, please? It lasts a day and is driving me MAD!!!

I have tried nasal-spray straight after a swim (Beconase) but even that isn't really helping now (arrggh!)... Would a nose clip help? Although re earlier post about expelling thru nose during swimming - I do, so I guess a nose clip could be a challenge?!

Any suggestions please?!

(Roll-on open-water swimming season!)

Curvy

XXX

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    This hs been covered in the following thread.

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=20718&mpage=1&key=&#21510

Buy a nose clip - solved it for me.

It's caused apparently by a form of mustard gas that forms on the top of the water if chlorine levels drop following bodies and bodily fluid reacting.

Nice to know we're basically swimming in a chemistry experiement not water!

G
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Gharv has hit the nail on the head there get a nose clip and check out the thread.

• Thanks for the thread - v useful, ta! Will get a nose clip and see how I get on, then!

Best!

Curvy Cactus

XXX
  • Yay!!!

Noseclip WORKED A TREAT!!!!

Thanks so much for your advice - £2.80 - what a bargain for:

No sneezes, no sniffles, happy me, happy husband, happy nose!!!!

The Curvey One

XXX

• ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Interesting reading. I seem to have a reaction to swimming as well. Again started quite recently after lots of swimming without any problems. No sneezing/sinus problems but a really irritating cough and the airway at top of chest feeling raw. Will now try anti-histamine, which I have to stop me becoming a balloon if stung. Doc gave me a ventalin inhaler to try, but doesn't seem to help with the irritation. Benylin seems to help but leaves me feeling hungover. Happened last three times I've swum and has left me unable to train properly for a week.

Every other post has been about nasal problems, anybody else get a raw trachea?

Ade

• brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    yup i bought one too on the advice of this website and it works a treat....mind you i feel like a bit of a plonker but if it stops me sneezing, coughing and the running nose...i'll keep it up! can't help with the throat problem tho...