Home Chat General Chat

Cycle Shoes???

Blinkybaz wrote:

Hello all,

I have reached the point now where the toe clips just dont cut it anymore.

I would be grateful of some advice on cycle shoes please

I have looked on the interweb and there are so many to chose from!

I saw a nice pair of canondale shoes with pedals and cleets fro arond £60. Cant remember which pedals came with it.

I am not looking to spend the earth but entry level will do as these will only be to race in this season and for training, I will buy some good ones to race next season.

(with that thread running at mo I dont want seem like I am looking fror cheap kit just reasonable and functional)

Any advice will be greatly recieved.

I've just purchased a set of tri specifc ones after a few entertaining attempts to transition with clipped in pedals before realising normal bike shoes have the strap opening towards the bike!!

Settled on the Shimano TR30's at £60 reduced from £80, looks even better value now when you consider the new version (TR31) is upto £97 for what looks like the same shoe!

Not had the chance to spin them in anger yet but they're definitely easy to get on/off.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/tr30-spd-sl-shoes-ec011147?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hello all,

I have reached the point now where the toe clips just dont cut it anymore.

I would be grateful of some advice on cycle shoes please

I have looked on the interweb and there are so many to chose from!

I saw a nice pair of canondale shoes with pedals and cleets fro arond £60. Cant remember which pedals came with it.

I am not looking to spend the earth but entry level will do as these will only be to race in this season and for training, I will buy some good ones to race next season.

(with that thread running at mo I dont want seem like I am looking fror cheap kit just reasonable and functional)

Any advice will be greatly recieved.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Whichever ones you go for, make sure you try them on first. I find Shimano shoes way too narrow for me and a lot of road shoes come up on the small side.

Nothing is a bargain if they don't fit and as a result your don't wear them.

Comfort is key - making the transition to clipless pedals will make a massive improvement no matter which shoes you go for.

If you want tri specific shoes they have a big loop at the back to pull them on and one big velcro strap to fix in position.

For my fist few tri's I used my moutain bike shoes with clipless SPDs and they were just fine and dandy. How now upgraded to Specialized road shoes which I can get in and out of just as quick as tri specific shoes.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Try them on, blinky. Your feet will be spending a lot of time in those shoes, so make sure they are comfy. You don't need to spend a fortune, just try a few pairs.

Also think about what pedals you really need. It's great to spend the cash on some beautiful alloy masterpiece, but I'm guessing that spending an extra £200 to save 1.5 grammes of metal isn't high on your list. Nor mine.

I have stuck with MTB pedals for a couple of reasons: they are double sided, so easy to hit when I'm wobbling about in T1; they have a lot more lateral movement than a road pedal, so they're kind to my bow-legs and wobbly knees; they're cheap.

Also, try the leg-dangling test. Sit on a table or something, and see how your feet hang. When you attach your cleats to the shoes you'll need to fix them on to echo that angle.

To be honest, even the most basic 'proper' pedal and shoe is such a massive improvement on toe clips that you can't go to far wrong.
  • i bought exustar ones from wiggle. about forty quid and comfy!!! have done me pretty well only wearing now and have used them for about a year or more x
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Bought the Shimano TR31's 2 weeks ago. Haven't tried them on the bike yet.

Expect a lot of them, since they are my first tri-specific ones!
  • The TR31's are next on my shopping list having used Specialized MTB-specific shoes for the past couple of years, so I'll be keen to hear how you huys get on with them.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    It's vital that you get the correct pair of shoes. I suffered from severe ingrown toenails for quite a time because of ill fitting shoes. It was actually a cycling doctor who pointed it out.

Your feet swell during cycling, also the fact that they are clamped in the same place has an effect. I would advise you to go to a reputable bike shop and try on various shoes and take advice from the shopkeeper.

There is a myriad of brands out there - each will have a slightly different fit and be more suited to cycle style and pedal systems and may or not suit you. Do not buy on price point and do not buy from the internet, do not buy because they look good or because they are cut price. Go and try them all and see them in the flesh

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Thanks all for the advice,

I have now made the purchase and fitted the SPD-SL shoes and pedals to the bike. I went for Shimano shoes and pedals.

First time out and I knocked 6 mins off my PB. (I wont let you in on how poor my PB is, just gratefull its getting quicker)

Cheers!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    tried out the ShimanoTR31's this weekend: SMOOTH![8D]

love the tri-specific gadgets on them!
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    What do you need to be looking for when deciding on the best fit (currently trying to decide between size 43 and 44 Shimanos)?

Is a closer fit better than haveing room for your foot to move? Is some heel movement when you pull expected or is it a bad thing?

Is there a particular time of day to try them on, am thinking after work or a turbo session when my feet are hot and might have swelled a bit.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I strongly advise Shimano spd sl pedals and the BEST FITTING SHOES you can get.

This Shimano system gives a stable and wide platform for getting the power down and as regards shoes: ill-fitting shoes cause problems both with cycling and with sore feet, legs back. Do not go out to buy shoes on cost buy them on comfort and suitability