Home Chat General Chat

70.3 nutrition

Doing my 1st and 2nd 70.3's at Wimbleball and Lake District this year. Can anybody clear up a nutritional question? Is it normal practice to drink carb sports drinks at the same time as ingesting energy gels. Had some digestive discomfort doing this in the past but I don't know whether it's just a case of not taking one straight after the other or not even mixing them in the same race! How long a gap do you leave after an energy gel before supping some sports drink?

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Normal practice is to wash gels down with water.

Unless you use the SIS gels which require no wash down and i use these.

Not sure of the science in not washing down with Sports Drink but i'm sure on of the others can fill in the blanks.

G
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Due to the way the body digests carbs, it needs water to do it, do it without, as the gels are so concentrated you end up with cramps. SiS ones are isotonic, (i think!?!) and as such do not need water because they include it in the gel. Whatever you do, test it in training before the big day
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I think gels with water otherwise you might over do it on the micronutrients?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'd advice water to flush gels (except sis GO, cause it's other carbs, maïs I think?? anyone?).

I'd add bananas too, good carbs, handy, against cramp, cheap.