Home Chat General Chat

Newtons

Anyone tried the Newton shoes out? I have a couple of little trots in them..but I will only reveal my findings when someone else puts their thoughts down.

Comments

• I saw Mike Trees running in them a couple of weeks ago at the Bushy Park Parkrun.

Mike came first, 16min-ish for the 5K time trial.

So they're not slow![:D]

...he does import them though (I think)[;)]
  • come on britspin tell us your thoughts - I like the sound of them and want to hear what people think!

Only trouble is at 80kg and needing a bit of support will they bugger my knees?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Come on Britspin let us know are they any good????????????
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Well.......are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin.

First short 'jog' in them....weird. the 'block' under the ball of your foot & across that widest part kinda tips you forward, which is where the forefoot running thing comes in, so a heavy heel striker would have real trouble, imagine heel, roll to toe, clunk hit block, momentum tip you over onto toes, recover, repeat. a mid foot striker would have less of a problem I would imagine & a forefoot would just take a little less time to adjust.

On a subsequent longer run at a variety of paces I would say they seem to be at their best at tempo or race pace as one is naturally more 'on your toes' as it were so the mid to fore foot land is less of an issue, the 'block' cishions quite well but takes some getting used to.

On the whole an interesting experience, most definately try before you buy..a good long try, at a variety of paces, not just a quick jog around for 2 mins. They are expensive & they would take a fair bit of adapting to, so a long winter of slowly introducing longer runs would be ideal & I would say that some people will absolutely hate them & may be disposed to injury by them, in much the same way as changing to 'pose' running would & for the same or similar reasons. Other guys who have tested came to the same opinion, some bought, most didn't, one guy had a quality issue one shoe of a pair felt very different in cushioning than its 'other half'.

Interesting then, but I haven't bought, maybe next time I am in the US, if the rate is in my favour.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    What is the SP on these Newtons I' seriuosly considering going for a pair
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    After spotting these when I was in Kona on honeymoon I was intreagued by them after reading into the virtues of forefoot striking for injury prevention.

Mike Trees let me have a go with a pair after the Marlow Half.*

At first I tried with my normal shoe (NB1062) on one foot and Newton Trainer on the other. There is a marked difference in the body posture. I've heard that you have to use them only for short period to get used to them unless you want a 1 way trip to achilles and calf hell.

Still, they are food for thought. I'm going to have another try soon I think. Was surprised to see they are retailing at a similar price here as in the States.

GFH, how often are you at Bushey Park? I'm there at least once a month.

(*Mike came in second there incidentially wearing some... think you need some talent as well. Darn it!)
  • Jonhinio wrote:
    FH, how often are you at Bushey Park? I'm there at least once a month.

(*Mike came in second there incidentially wearing some... think you need some talent as well. Darn it!)

Try to make Bushy Park every week but family or illness seems to be getting in the way lately.

Usually run between 19:20 - 19:50. Which is about 40th place.

You?

Mike DID win on the 27 Oct:[;)]

1 Mike TREES * 16:19

2 David O'TOOLE * 16:36

3 Clayton PAYNE * 16:38

...and then he did it last week as well.

http://www.parkrun.com/Default.aspx?tabid=189
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Hi there. Sorry it wasn't clear; the second place was referring to Marlow Half when I tried the Newtons. He sold me some 2XU compression tights which I must admit are brilliant.

I'm currently on 20.32 for Bushey Park which I got last month. Planned in January to get sub 20 by the end of the year. Running out of time as not sure how many more I can get to before Christmas but will aim to get 2 in I think, and maybe the hangover cure that is New Year's day run [:)]

Right then, knee niggles down to a manageable agony, I have run further in my newtons than before, 3 consecutive days, 1st 2k to pool, swim & 2k back (took them off to swim), no problem hill up & over to pool..same back, felt a bit flat footed & aware I am not right on my toes/forefoot, more midfoot, evening run 4k home from spin class, long gentle uphill & mostly steepish down hill..all good, times are good. 2nd day 4k to spin class, & home, no probs maybe spending more time on forefoot, 3rd day, 2k/swim/2k home & 4k from spin class combo..all good.

So no calf issues, I did the usual stretches, self massage & compression sock routine with no undue calf pain, feeling more confident in the shoes but still not entirely convinced that these shoes would 'convert' a heel striker to a toe runner any more than coaching & thinking about stride, foot placement etc, but I like them & they do make me think.
  • Bought some last week at TCR and easing in to them gently is defiantly the way to go.

Calfs were tight for a couple of days after my first hard 10k. Although probably more top of the achilles so make sure you stretch it out after......

Hindsight........ don't you just love it.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I have to buy a new pair of shoes soon (and as you all know I will only buy the best!).

Should I go for the Newtons if I aim to continue with base running (long slow distance) or should I stick with the Asics until I'm ready to turn up the dial and do more speed based stuff?
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Treefrog - get both you know you want to (and can afford to!)

Stick with the Asics for most of your base level stuff and slowly introduce the Newtons, say one run a week or second part of a brick session. That way you'll avoid excessive strain on the calf/achilles by going straight into the Newton option. By the time you start upping the stakes then you'll know if the Newtons are for you and you can crank it up without fear of calf/achilles strain.

I'm giving the Newton's a miss as I already suffer from sore achilles (inherent old injury complaint) and the last thing I need is to encourage any further strain in that area.
  • I have had mine now for about 2 weeks and I have adapted fairly quickly to them - one thing I have found is it is quite hard to go for an RPE3-4 run in them and they are certainly more suited to a good RPE6-8 run as you get further onto the toes. That said they are nice an light and feel good after a very hilly 10km - although the hills have brought back the achy calves.

I would definitely try some if you err towards mid/fore foot running (I struggle to see how a heel striker would manage) but be aware that they do take some adjusting too and that is probably best not left until the week before a race - I suppose it all depends on when your first A race is....

Overall one of the best 120 quid purchases for a while [:D]

• Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    Anyone have any more inputs about the Newtons? Need a new pair and like the idea of trying something new. Also, I'm not the heaviest at 65kg and am up on my forefoot when running up to 10km. Should I scour the South West looking to try/buy or just stick with what I know? Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris J
    Happy with mine, mix them into my training with other shoes..being something of an Imelda Marcos when it comes to run shoes...No ill effects on my achilles, no more than usual calf ache after running. That said I stick to normal shoes to race in. Love my inconspicous gel forsters.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I won a pair last month and adore them. Apart from the technological bit speeding up my run considerably, I find them incredibly light and comfortable. I've been running in them a lot now, and prefer them to my Supernovas - but only for road surfaces. Obviously the lugs don't work on anything other than tarmac.

Been off for a while with illness, holiday and them DH springing bilateral pulmonary embolisms on me [:-]. Will be doing my first tri of the season alone again....

Anyone else doing the Sussex tri on May 31st?

blurredgirl

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Blurred - Yes, I know of three of us from the forum doing the Sussex tri, Ron99, Ian and myself. It will be Ron99's and mine first one!!!
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Want to meet up? I did it last year - have you tried out the bike course yet?

bluredgirl