Home Chat General Chat

Numb, cold feet advise needed

I need advise!!!! When I'm out cycling, I'm getting to about 1 hour and then my feet start going numb and then eventually freezing cold and I just wanna go home!!!!

Are there such things as 'wider' fitting shoes??

what is the optimum position for your cleats

will my seat set up affect anything??

Any feed would be great, I'm following Don Finks programme, but get to the stage where I dont really concentrate/enjoy my cycling as i'm always wondering when my feet will play up. Cheers guys[;)]

Comments

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Do you use overshoes ?

I had this problem with cycling and recently bought a pair of overshoes and its certainly stops your feet getting too cold in the winter, the ones I purchased were from Wiggle and were cheap but still do thier job.

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    You may want to loosen your shoes.

G
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Try on more shoes. Buy ones that fit you. Different makes are different shapes.... it takes time.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    After a while on your bike, your feet will be a different shape to the way they are when doing different activities, and, when you tried the shoes on.

Bike shoes have very rigid platform, so the pressures (although it is low impact) are quite different from other activities.

I've had the same problem - and have 4 hours have had to stop and massage feet until I can go on. The numbness is nerves being squashed with all the pressure. The coldness is the blood supply being cut off.

Try a wider shoe.

Try different lacing (if you have a laces - they don't need to be tight as for a running/walking shoe - especially across the width.

Look at cushioning - either socks (need to have even wider shoes!) or an insole.

Don't be afraid to stop and give your feet a rub. Once the feeling comes back you will be able to tell where the pressure pints/bruising is.

For some reason cycling shoes (must be the Italian influence) seem to made with a narrow last - so my cycling shoes are always a size or two bigger than my running ones.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    After a pre christmas toe numbing type ride I decided to invest..I bought Shimano winter boots, lotsa velcro, high ankle etc, some Trek oslo socks, & some Aldi overshoes..oh & some goretex socks all of sizes that allow them to fit on in the right order & allow toe movement/circulation (took a while) & voila no more cold feet, stay dry to which is a bonus.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I also have a tendancy for cold feet, but have sorted it this year. I would reccommend decent quality neoprene overshoes (Altura) then decent quality well fitting cycle shoes (Sidi) not too tight as the others have said, then a pair of sealskinz waterproof socks and the splash out on Rapha Merino socks they are well worth it.

If you need to buy new shoes go to a shop and try them on with all of these layers. I reccommend Sidi because a cycling doctor did so to me some years ago to stop severe ingrown toenails. Sidi are more adjustable than other brands and have some sort of inbuilt tolerance ie they seem to expand as your feet swell during cycling

• During the winter I use my running socks which are double layered (to stop blisters). I also recently read a review about shoes which included winter training shoes. I'm not certain where but it may well have been in the 220 mag.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    I hear plastic bags are good...

Otherwise, I use just some thick cycling socks and the endura road overshoes that work great. If its really cold ill put an extra pair of overshoes (like the cotton ones) underneath the endura ones
  • If you can spare the cash get winter boots. These are looser fitting so you can get a decent wooly sock under them and the ones I have are gortex. They are the best solution I have tried having struggled with my feet getting too cold for years.

Overshoes are fine but don't be tempted to put too many thick socks on in your shoes as this will just restrict circulation and you will end up with colder feet.

• Do your feet just go numb when it's cold? I suffered from a similar issue when i first started using proper shoes and cleats. My feet would also go numb even when it wasn't cold. I have a wider foot and the first thing i tried was proper cycling socks as they are thinner than my running socks. Things did improve a tiny bit. My first shoes were specialized BG sport found them to be wider than shimanos. specialized do BG insoles which help support your arch etc. Got my feet done at my local store and purchased the relevant insoles great improvement & no more numbness. i have since seen a podiatrist who told we i'm flat footed and needed the extra support under my arch. [:)]

• Thanks guys that's all top quality advise. I'm pretty sure, from reading your replies, that I'm going to try some new shoes. Do most of you recommend Sidi?? Are they for people with wider feet??

I've only just started cycling properly since Jan, I'm doing IronFit. So I'm not sure if my feet will be any better in warmer weather.

Thanks once again for the replies[;)]

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Go to your local bike shop and try a few pair on. It's the only way, don't be tempted by price - either high or low - it's the fit that is all important.