Home Chat General Chat

colostrum !! is it worth it

Hi All

I am new to the world of triathlon and reading through this forum is very helpful so thank you everyone.

Especially the drinking thread it made me put my glass of wine down and reach for the water bottle.

I have started to really pick up my training but i am getting bugged down with minor colds and slow recovery.

Has anyone used colostrum ?

the reports look good but is it a waste of money?

Thanks for your help

Steve

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    ah colostrum, baby milk, well calves baby milk.

Yes, studies seem to have shown that colostrum may have some efficacy in increasing recovery and so enhancing performance. There is also some thoughts that as it contains high levels of IgAs and IgMs it may help immunity. I'm not so sure about the immune side, as I'm not sure if the bovine IgM and A are the same as the human IgGs but as I have used them in research before I think they might be.

With any supplement, colostrum may be worth trying, it may help, it has high levels of protein and carbs in, so its like a very strong recovery drink, but you could probably achieve the same effect much more cheaply by upping you carb and protein intake post workout.

It does also contain bovine IGF-1, which is practically identical to human IGF-1, this is a growth factor which may enhance muscle growth and the storage of glycogen within muscles, so its possible it could be beneficial.
  • Many thanks TommTri

Looking at the price of it i think i might give it a miss..

Thanks again for your help

Steve
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    My little boy is on bottle only now. I'll have a word with the missus and see if we can sort you out a supply [:'(]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    And we've still get a cannister of Welpi left over from our puppy. It's still well before its "best before date".

You can have that too!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I have a very special mix of stuff I used on some cells in the lab with all the stuff colostrums got in it plus some growth factor, transferrin and insulin! I would say you can have that too but i think it costs about £1000 a litre! eek!