Home Chat General Chat

the training playlists thread.

this is a playlist i use for hard runs, or indeed weight sessions.

i like everything from metal, to ambient trancy stuff while i pile on the pressure.

release the pressure.leftfield

salva mia. faithless.

dont get mad get even. aerosmith.

finished symphony. hybrid.

kashmir . led zepplin.

il wait. van halen.

hungry.kosheen.

exit. u.2.

expander. sasha.

catch my fall. billy idol.

tom saywer. rush.

going under. eveanessance.

spoon man. sound garden.

one. metallica.

hina. david lee roth.

ciao baby. the cult.

saltwater. chichane.

leave home. the chemical brothers.

know how . young m.c.

locomotive. g.n.r.

a coffee b4 training, turn on, tune in,work out.

Comments

• indoor bike session;

Jay-Z v's Linkin Park, Collision Couse.

I do the whole album with the following rule:

Jay-Z rapping = high resistance, standing hill

Linkin Park singing = low resistance, seated sprints.

about 6-8 changovers per song at different intervals.

running: anything by faithless.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The sound of silence, or traffic, or birdsong...
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    If its a turbo session, iplayer or a film is great! otherwise its the sound of my own breath, cycling on the roads with music is just plain silly and running annoys me as my headphones keep falling out. For weights though anything loud and heavy
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    There's been a fair bit of research on how listening to (the right kinds) of music does great things for training - enables you to work hard, faster, and for longer.

But I just can't do it - the listening to music thing. Even the TV on in the gym bugs me.

The idea of trying to run or cycle out in the real world with your ears full of something just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So: I listen to my own pain, my heart pounding; on easy sessions I think about form and strategy (i.e. I day-dream about being an olympic champion: well, if Jennie Longo can do the olympic time trial at 49; when I will only be 48 on 2012...).
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I only ever listen to my MP3 player when running - and been the am into early 90's dance /trance/techno - and some later upbeat music - I don't have it on loud but when a song I love comes on it picks me up and gives me a 2nd wind ;)
  • thats fantastic.

i love that album.

99 problems.....
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    80 minute turbo session is the ipod on shuffle
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    pendulum, or jayz/linkin park! it must be something about that music!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    My ipod on shuffle would be rubbish for working out to. I'd be beasting myself to Iron Maiden one minute, then suddenly have Rachmaninov to slow me down.

For ergo, bike interval and treadmill sets in the gym it is Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction, followed by a compilation album called 'Supercharged' (Limpo Bizkit, Linkin Park, Nickelback etc etc). Harsh sounding loud nasty stuff works best for me.

When I'm out on the bike.... well, sorry <strong opinion warning>, but you're a complete cock if you wear earphones on your bike if you are cycling anywhere but your own private estate.

Running... I'd love to, but my run circuits usually involve me crossing a lot of roads. If I had music on then I'd have to stop and have a really good look around. Anyway, even away from roads don't people want to hear the horse that is galloping up behind them, or the farmer shouting "Get orf moii laaaand!!"?.

I think we're all gravitating towards loud rock?

More usefully, has anybody tried any of the iTunes add in stuff that can go through your music library to analyse the beats-per-minute for each song? You can then, apparently, create playlists that are all at a useful tempo for your particular workout. Sounds good.
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Yep fully agree with TommyTri on Pendulum- my absolute favourite for in the gym and out running. Also like old Prodigy stuff. And agreed with Bopomofo about wearing headphones whilst on bike or on busy roads- scary!!!
  • Pendulum get my vote too - my spinning instructor got me in to them and they're a staple part of my turbo / running playlist. Do you think they are a buxch of ex-triathletes who formed a band?

If you think cycling with your ipod on is mad, the girl that sits next to me at work said the other day "when I've got my ipod on in the car" !!!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I see lots of drivers with Ipod earphones in..how do they hear their mobiles so they can answer whilst driving/crashing/killing?

Then again when you have the window rattlers with their car full of more speakers than I have in my house...which is worse?
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    In my opinion you can't beat the 80's montage sequence classics. My personal favourite is doing hill repeats using the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTgtxrxag0

Awesome.
  • Totally agree with the eighties idea, that youtube link gave me goosebumps!

Running playlist also includes the theme from Rocky (originally seventies though), 'Danger Zone' by Kenny Loggins, 'Footloose', 'Boys Of Summer' man I love all that s##t.

Do get some funny lucks when I crank up the volume though [&:]
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    I'm suprised to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't like music on when I train. I may put something on when I'm locked in my shed on the turbo, maybe The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but otherwise I don't like it, especially if I'm out running.

David.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I get bored very easily. So the music really helps - especially on the long hour long plod.
  • I use music to run to, it's stops my mind wandering about. Otherwise thats it, I like fast hardcore and rock.
  • I'm loving Fragma - Everytime you need me.

It's such a sweet song for a push hill climb on the spin bike, and I also enjoy it on the run.

Can't cycle outside with anything in my ears................it's dangerous. But running without music is still a bit weird. Gonna have to get used to it again though![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m14.gif[/image]
  • I do really like David Guetta - Everytime we touch. Great song.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hey pop pickers!!!!

I am a big music when running man but I dont run on raods so I am safe from traffic on big open pavements. I think Bopmo said organ doners do it on the roads with music.

I am also into the 80's thing but sometimes a bit of areosmith and some fatboy slim with a mix of chemical brothers does the trick.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Not 'arf!
  • kosheen. hungry.

check it out.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Tonight's turbo session was brought to you by a broad range .... Undertones, Jonny Cash, Camille Howard (excellent boogie piano) and the greatest of them all Motorhead, there was also some jazz but it doesn't count!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    treefrog wrote:

Tonight's turbo session was brought to you by a broad range .... Undertones, Jonny Cash, Camille Howard (excellent boogie piano) and the greatest of them all Motorhead, there was also some jazz but it doesn't count!

Thought Treefrog might have just retyped his letter to Cycling weekly

Very eclectic mix.

Rainbow,Pat Benater,Lou Reed,Velvet Underground,The Damned.

It depends on the route,weather,time.
  • Although i agree anyone cycling or running on roads with music epecially in London has a death wish, i do listen on closed rides and runs etc, also looking at a swimming pool one for my channel training. Anyways my playlists are

Rocky soundtrack, British fanatzia anthems, redman, johnny cash - hurt (keeps you goin when in pain) joy division, oasis, doves and timbaland... I like a random mix
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I don't listen to music when i run/ride but in the gym it has to be Slipknot, Deftones or other metal type stuff, basically so long as it's loud, fast tempo and a bit shouty.[:@]
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMcASRcFuw

pretty sums my training mentality at the moment.