Home Chat General Chat

UK Half Ironman

How did everybody get on?

Comments

• pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Did it! Did it! Did it!!!!!!

Still can't believe it - except I'm sore all over.

7:50:10 - wheeee

Ok swim (45 mins), good bike (4:07) - all those Derbyshire hills must have helped, but lousy run - had to walk all the hills (2:42). Deliberately slow transitions - took my time. Had tight calf muscles off the bike, and both feet were really numb (have only been able to feel my toes again today).

But it was brill - and I came 3rd in my age group!!!!! I am dead chuffed with that - particularly since I must be the oldest in my group.

Susiep - great to meet you (even if the husband couldn't understand why we stopped in the middle of the lake half-way thro the practice swim just to chat!) - and keep us posted on Florida!

Rob - thanks for your support on the run - much appreciated - I really needed it.

Little Les - saw your t-shirt at the briefing but couldn't get to you through the masses. Sorry I missed you.

Tim D - didn't catch you at all - do hope you had a good race.

[color=#ff0000]And to all who sponsored me - many, many, many thanks. [color=#000000]When the run was at its worst - and I didn't think I'd even be able to walk up that big hill - the thought of the sponsorship kept me going.[/color][/color]

[color=#ff0000][/color]

Now I know I can do it I want to go back next year and race it properly ..... how about everyone else??
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    PAt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i knew you would .... well done, you are an inspiration to us lesser mortals on here ... I aim to follow your example

when i get around to waxing ,,,, i will do it with you in mind [:D]

phil

So does that mean you're on for Wimbleball next year, mad?? After all, you'll have a year to get the waxing right!!
    definately !!!!!!!!! in fact be rude not to

madnurse phil[:D]
  • RewRew Posts: 62
    hats off to you parc.

very well done!!
  • rollorollo Posts: 25
    Wahoooo ...... finished in 07:16:54. Swim was 00:42:53 which was terrible but considering I did breaststroke the whole way I guess was OK? Did the cycle in 03:45.01, which was a killer as I got cramp on the second leg going up the 14% hill. (didn't stop...just took the pain and pushed through, I knew if I stopped I would not get back on). The run was ...... yeuky.... and did a poor 02:39?!!!?? Puh next year will be better ;-) Anyhow, thoroughly enjoyed myself, organization was excellent and the people were so, so friendly. Still have not cut off the wristband yet!!!??
    Well done rollo - your breaststroke swim was much better than my crawl! Which of the many 14% hills did you get cramp on? And that run was a real killer - can't quite work out why tho. I know the really big hill was bad, but the rest should have been manageable - but wasn't!!

So the 220 team is growing for next year, then. And you've put your commitment in writing, mad, so we've got you down!
    my addiction for tri is only on the up so yeh count me in

mad[:D]
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Well done. Reading your efforts, really makes me think I could just go out and do one. Especially watching ironman South Africa on channel 5 last night also.

But then when I go out training tonight and struggle with 5 miles the realisation hits home. That it takes a lot of training, and determination, which I am about 1 years away from.

Well done guys and girls.

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Nice one gang...

Pat ... I reckon on a win will do next year...

Feffing chuff rollo I can't even get 1.8 metres breast stroke

Definately up for next year without a shadow of a doubt ... in fact I have already been planning my training around it (only in my head)

• susiepsusiep Posts: 11
    I'm so pleased now that I carried on when I felt like giving up 'cos now I am going to Florida[:)]

Friday and Saturday down at the lake, the sun was very strong and by Sat afternoon back @ the B&B I began to feel unwell,too much sun.My head was burning up and I felt dizzy and sick.

I went to bed with a wet towel over my head, took painkillers and slept.

I hadn't eaten anything for over 12hrs ,when it was time to get out of bed. So I tried not to panic but this was not a problem I had envisaged would happen

The swim was ok,and I was really hyped up, but when I hit the road on the bike, there was nothing in my legs.

How I wanted to give up , all there was in my head and body was the overwhelming desire to drop out and stop at the end of the 1st lap. It just got stronger as I got nearer.

When it came down to a decision, well I just don't know what made me carry on. It was one of those on the spot decisions ,could have gone either way.

Anyway, well done to you Pat, fabulous result on such a brutal course.

• RobRob Posts: 209
    Hi All, do anybody's legs ache as much as mine?! I can hardly walk today.

Rollo/Pacrfish, so much for phoning you, I had zero reception almost all weekend. I tried to catch up with you both at the end but couldn't spot you. Pacrfish, I was sat next to Little Les at the briefing, surprised you didn't see me, the tall, dark, handsome chap.... TimD, good to see you again mate, thank your wife for her support as well. Hi to Graham who was staying at Newhouse Farm, well done mate.

I got 6:36:44. 43.29 for the swim which is slow but I rate that as my most pleasing performance of the day as I was just wanting to get out of the water before the cut off(!), 3.38 for the bike & a struggling 2.06 for the run, boy that run was tough. The section across the dam was the only flat bit I think wasn't it?. I was hoping to get under 6:30 but have just been on the Ironman website & read the following: "On what may become regarded as the hardest Ironman 70.3 course in the world Chris McCormack and Catriona Morrison won the UK Ironman 70.3 at Wimbleball Lake yesterday." Follow the link for more: http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3

So a huge congrats to everybody that finished, I think we can be proud of ourselves. Thanks has also got to go to all the volunteers who were so helpful all weekend, & all the spectators out on the course who must have been hoarse by the end of the day! The Ironman setup is certainly impressive, they've got things down to a fine art.

I heard a few stories during the weekend: McCormack had his bike stolen the night before & still won it. One women had her bike 'snap' 10 miles into the course & did the rest of the course on a borrowed mountain bike, lent to her by some tri club members who were spectating. Good on her, & good on them. A friend of mine who shall remain nameless took the wrong route on the bike course(!). As he was finishing his first lap he got overtaken by a load of pros on their second lap. In the confusion, instead of turning right to start the second lap he continued on down the hill, only realising he'd gone wrong when he got to the bridge over the lake. So... he turned around & had to cycle all the way back up that first hill!!!! I'm going to buy you a map for Xmas.

I won't be doing it next year, I've decided I'm going to do IM Sherborne instead. Who's up for that?!
    Sherborne 2007 is too soon for me (just worked it out - only did my first sprint in 2002 and I've no athletic background, not even running for a bus!) BUT I'm secretly hoping to do Sherborne 2008 (haven't asked the husband yet!!).

So, God willing, Wimbleball again next year racing properly this time, then moving up the year after????

Sorry I missed you in the briefing Rob - think I must have been overcome by the heat in there (or was it fear??)
  • derrickkderrickk Posts: 4
    What a race! I guess being a novice at tri I was caught completely by surprise by how hard the course was. With a London Olympic under my belt from last year, I expected a hill or two on the cycle and perhaps a slope or two on the run but nothing like this.

Being a very poor swimmer (I doggie paddled the London Tri), I almost gave up as soon as I started the swim when I found my goggles were not sealing. I had taken swimming lessons and was eager to see the improvement in speed but ended up swimming zigzag with my eyes closed [:(] zigzag, stop, doggie paddle, breast stroke, oops 50 metres either inside or away from the buoys, repeated several times.

Despite my slow time, I learned a lot from this race and will continue learning as I look into unraveling all the issues I faced. I really lost my motivation years ago after a 100 mph helicopter crash put me out of sport all together for a long time. Despite many efforts to get back into physical exercise i.e. the start-stops at the gym nothing has really got me back on track. Even entering the Marathon Des Sables did not motivate me, I ended up just turning up and doing it without doing any training.

Finally, something happened at the 70:3 that's kick started a spark. My legs are as sore as hell but I'm so desperate to get back into the gym, I didn't go yesterday as I thought it might be foolish but I'm off to train today. [;)] Despite all the reasons to give up, or to chicken out of even turning up this has to be one of the most enjoyable and rewarding experience.

70:3 you've made me hungry for the sport, hungry to train again, hungry to be a competitor...

And well done to Paul Elcock and Chris Saunders who both did a brilliant race and were excellent company over the weekend.

Cheers
    nice one derrick .... fancy helvellyn then ???
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    I was speaking to a guy today who has done numerous fullIron man events and he rode the 70.3 bike course on Saturday and said it was B****y hard, so take heart all you who competed and finished. Well done.

David
  • joBidjoBid Posts: 16
    Well done all of us! We got the medal!!

Boy was it hard....we don't have hills in Essex.

It was great to see that the majority of hands at the race brief were 70.3 virgins...I wasn't the only one!

Hope everyone got the support from our Rowdy team mates at East essex Tri, they were at the 17 mile "ish" on the bike and at the finish..they also helped that girly out with the bike..she borrowed my youngest sons trainers to finish the bike, and came and found us after to return them x

I have found it really hard to train for this since losing my brother Jamie in February and I would like to thank all those that gave me encouragement to keep going. I feel honoured to be part of the sport and we should all feel proud, not only for conquering Wimbleball, but for being part of such a great community of Triathlon.

Wimbleball 2007 bring it on.....Full distance 2008...I think so!
    Yep, Wimbleball 2007, Sherborne 2008 .... See you there joBid!!
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Have they been so quick as to have a website for 2007??
  • Great event, it's my first year of tri and only second event (did Blenheim). Bike course was hard although I had been training up the steepest long hill that I could find. Run was a killer, took at least 10 minutes longer than I had expected. Had to stop to for a banana to get from one feed stationto the next.

Got round in 5h39, but I couldn't help feeling that anyone out on the course for 7 or 8 hours must have had a much harder time of it.

Does anyone have an accurate distance for the bike leg, so that I can reset my speedo - got to 62 miles and that can't be right. On the back of that I don't think I can claim the 50.4 mph down the hill either.

Well done

Martin

• joBidjoBid Posts: 16
    Bike clocked 57.16miles !
    I got 57.1 too.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    I clocked 56.89. Guv, entries for next years race will be available in about a week. Follow the link to the site:

http://half.ironmanuk.com/default.asp?PageID=2017
  • CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum. And well done evrybody..

Managed to get round in 7:04. Swim went to plan, 38mins but a 10day old calf strain reared its head after 30miles of the bike so the run was a shuffle / walk affair. This probably helped me as I got into "must finish" mode. One thing I wasn't expecting is how emotional it all was, especially the high fiving of the kids at the finish - fantastic!

Wasn't it an amazing experience? My 1st 1/2IM & I'm already considering the Vitruvian in Sept, has anyone done it?

Definitley back at Wimbleball next year & aiming for Sherborne 2007

• derrickkderrickk Posts: 4
    Got a web link for it?
  • Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    Well done to all who finished. I had a tough but wicked day. Managed the course in 5 hours 47, so really chuffed about that. I am sure that they made those damn hills steeper the second time around!!

Rob - I am definitely doing the full IM at Sherbourne next year so will see you there.

Tim
    tim - fantastic time well done mate
    www.trihard.co.uk

should get you on the website then follow link for helvellyn - there a training / recce wknd 22/23 july

madnurse
  • quickiequickie Posts: 1
    Cheers Rob,

The legs ached until Wednesday so won't start any activity until next week.

Sherborne eh? Plenty of time to prepare .. you'll need a nice warm up 70.3 .. so why not Wimbleball ;-)

Pat, well done on completing the course. Thought you would do it. How much did you raise?

Take it easy

Graham
    Hi Graham - missed you during/after the race so I'm glad you've popped up on the forum. Saw your results - well done - you must be pleased. Makes those training rides round the course worthwhile....

I haven't got my pages up to date with off-line donations yet but it looks like we raised about £700 so I am really pleased.

I've had a stupid week this week - the race took a lot more out of me mentally than I realised. I'm only just getting my head back together today. Does anyone else feel the same?? (The husband said he hadn't noticed the difference - hmmmm)