Home Chat General Chat

IMUK - Concerns

Hello Folks

Am I alone in being a little concerned at the lack of information coming out of the race office at IMUK this year?

It strikes me that they are far less prepared for this years event than they would have us believe and it is all appearing to be done 'on the hoof'. No course info yet, still awaiting press conference dates etc etc....It seems they agreed a location and just hoped that the rest will fall into place between now and August.

This is my first Ironman so perhaps I am being a little impatient but it does not appear to be the slickest and most sophisticated of operations so far. I just hope that it is a proper, well run event on the day!

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    it was pretty much the same for last years and that was absolutely amazing. so well organised. i wouldnt worry too much, theyre perfectionists, but not so hot on keeping the website up to date. and to be fair they do have a hell of a long time left before the event!

good luck with the training[:)]
  • Cheers Jon. That's reassuring
  • Must admit to the same sort of feelings with bustlungs but I guess it's because the Ironman is such a massive event and is so important that I just want to know everything..................and then some more!!! Oh, and if I could get it last month, that would be great too. [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]

Come on the course announcement, I just want to know how bad the bike course might be!!!
  • By the way, while we are here....how does the member staus thing work here? I have been registered with 220 for some time now, although I don't post very often but am still a 'new member'. When do I get promoted to 'super status'?
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Think its around the 90/100 posts mark! and from what I can tell, it sounds like the office are having fun trying to get around all the bureaucracy of the Highways Agency and other authorities, while also trying to add "special guests" etc. But they do have 6 months left...
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    got an email yesterday stating....

The proposed elevation of the bike course is 4881ft (1487metres) of climbing over the 112 miles. That is 20ft less than IRONMAN Hawaii and places the UK 14th in the elevation charts of IRONMAN races across the globe.

· It is proposed it will be a three lap course with three aid stations per lap

· The proposed run will be flat and fast with good access to spectators along the entire route

· The finish will be in the Town Centre outside Bolton Town Hall.

· The swim will definitely be wet and 2.4miles in length!!

The 2009 course should prove to be the fastest course yet for an IRONMAN UK event, but with 2ft of snow currently outside the Race Office window, anything can happen!!!!

As soon as we know the date of the Press Conference we will let you all know. All maps etc will be ready behind the scenes so they can be uploaded onto the event website once the Press Conference is finished.

How fast can it be with all that climbing...!
  • It's fast because you go up 13m for every mile forward (Averages!). And I think that works out to be 8mm up for a metre forward! I'd say that was fairly flat! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]

(Yes - I'm working the late and I'm really bored!)
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Like Mr Conehead I am no fan of the UK races.Like cycling there is no central government support for events,the Bolton race would need the involvement of 2 police forces,and look at the cancellation of the number of premier cycling events this year where only one police force said no,they are established and well supported events.Betting is on whether the event will get cancelled,it took over 2 years to get the first HIMUK going.

Since 70.3 evolved there has been an increase in M Dot race events the other countries get it right first time,why not this sad country,2012 that makes me laugh.