Home Chat General Chat

strenghtening programme advice! Help

Guys

I have been informed that to cure a hip problem i have i have to undergo a strength programme for 8 weeks before i can gradually start to run again. The strenghtening will have to continue for good though.

Now being allergic to gyms, has anyone got any advice or training programmes designed to strenghten legs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    What have you been told to do? A find a set of dumbells has taken away the need (and the cost) of going to the gym
  • Basically single leg dips, lunges etc
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Best way to do this is, depending on what your physio says, start out using your own body weight, making sure you do the exercises properly and then start adding dumbells to each hand to increase the resistance. Think argos do a 20kg set that you can mix and match plates
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i had an issue with my hip and i found that lunges (firstly without then with weights) helped a lot, but i have to say take the advice of your physio and do whatever they advise
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Well, you're paying the physio for advice on rehab as well as treatment - so ask them, and do what they say! They will be concerned that you actually do some exercises, so will be happy to give you some non-gym things to do if it means that you will do them.

Start off slowly; don't use weights. Think about stretches as much as load bearing exercises. You probably need to do some core stuff as well as the legs.

Squat type things: Slowly, and not too deep if it hurts. Think of form.

Single leg squats. Great for leg strength and core.

Investing in a wobble cushion and doing a single leg squat on that is something that I do a lot for leg/core strength. Works knees, hips and all muscles in between.

Lunges. With and without a weight - walking lunges if you have the space. Lunges forward and to the side.

Get a swiss ball - we have two at home! You can get them cheaply at the supermarket as pilates is all the rage at the moment. The swiss ball is a great platform for all sorts of exercises.

I've even contemplated getting one while staying away at a hotel. But worried that the staff might think I have a strange fetish.

• when you lunge, make sure you dont let your knee travle out over your toes.

v. important.

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hi, if you are going to do lunges,i would recommend reverse lunges instead. Basically keeping one leg in positiona nd stepping backwards, puts less pressure on the front knee and helps control balance more. Do sets per leg, rather than alternating legs each rep.

Plyometrics are great for leg strength. Double legged jumps onto a step or box about knee height really work well. Maybe start off low and work up for rehab. Otherwise looks up some other plyo exercises. Highly recommended for leg strengthening.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    if your leg is strong enough (or rather when) you might want to consider hopping, if you have a speed ladder (and who doesn't these days) then use that, if not then just imagine you are playing hopscotch. Hop two or three forward, then one back, up and down a little (maybe 5x forward then turn and come back). this is something my physio has me doing at the moment for my ankle and hip complaint, it helps with balance and prepare the leg for running etc. I also agree that lunges are good, try dipping down with them not forward and make sure that everything is square i.e. don't turn your hips of shoulders as you go.

hope this helps and Good luck with the rehab
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Cheers guys some stuff ove never even thought of before, md6 ill dust off the old speed ladder tonight!