Home Chat General Chat

Brick training is a shocker!

Hi

Just wanted to add my initial thoughts on brick training. My god! Its so much more difficult to run straight after a hard ride....its shocking! As a newbie, and before that an observer, i thought i can do that, i can run, i can ride, i can swim! But until recently (even a few weeks ago when i was already well into my training), i had no idea just how demanding it is.

I noticed the increased newbie numbers on the forums just lately and wanted to highlight the BRICK training issue. DON'T just train the individual disciplines on their own and then expect it all to come together on the day (i'm sure none of us was going to, but still worth a mention i thought!).

I am by no means as fit as i need to be, but i am not unfit either, but today i road my first triathlon bike route (training) and followed it with a run. It was a real killer.

Real Shocker!

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    just did my first serious brick training of this season an hour ago.

43k bike ride, followed by transition at home and run for 5k; first k at 15.5kph. Lasting part of the run easy -----> cool down pace.

NEWBIES: the last part I wrote is really important; when doing bricks it is important to do the first part of your run directly after transition at a fast pace(lets say your 5-10k pace). Push it from time to time. Lots make themistake of taking it easy after T2 to get rid of the jelly legs: this only learns your body to run slow after T2. During races, you want to take off as fast ...., well as fast as if though you were completely RED.[:D]

My 2 pence,

happy bricking peeps.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Benny.....is your second name Hill? You must be in fast forward running that fast after a 40K + ride!

your performance for running of the bike is greatly improved by level of fitness. That, everybody will understand without a doubt.

the following is not a shameless plug, it's been said before, here goes.

I'll let you in on a little public secret , garyroberts :

another factor that comes into play for running after biking is bike and position!

A-Get your bike fitted PROPERLY!

B-Get the best bike you can afford(or more)!

I changed from a fitted Ridley(great bike BTW) to a Highly fitted Cérvelo Soloïst, just to experience what I assumed before. My brick PB's were like me in the pool the first time: All the way down! [:D]

My running speed during oly tri's is within 6% different from my solo run times!

No extra training, did the test within one week between the 2 different bikes!

And a said before, the first part of your run afterbike should be fast!

Hope to help some of you with what I experienced last season.
    Hi Benny

Its good advice and despite the jokes i really do appreciate the tips i get from these forums (and you!).

I did a brick session today also, nothing as serious as yours though. I did 18k ride followed by a 2k run. The run was very difficult. Although it shouldn't have been! It was slow and short!

This must be an indication of my overall fitness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The original point i was trying to make is the difference between just running (i can do a 10k comfortably) and just riding (i did 42k last weekend without too much of a fitness issue), but putting them together is VERY different.

Its a big 'heads up' for all us newbies that brick training is important!

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Missed out on a brick session today as shins are sore.

I am with Benny here you need to put the pace up for the first couple of K's. I have done some bricks and run slow but the jelly feelong seems to stay longer. If you do a quicker pace it goes quicker. it can be hard but you know what pain is....................
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Stop whingeing learn what the barriers are break them build a bridge and get over it all - Bopomopho has been made redundant!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i agree with how hard Bricks are when you first try them. I had my first ever (small) brick session last week, I did 10miles on the bike then started to run, went out at the normal pace for a 10k run, and after a few k's (and having clipped a lamp-post as i passed it) my legs gave out and i felt that i had strained my calf so stopped as a precaution. Oh and my body hurt a lot when i got back. Still i think that i'll get there, but Bricks are on hold for a few weeks as i have a half mara next week which is much more important at this stage.
    Stop whingeing learn what the barriers are break them build a bridge and get over it all - Bopomopho has been made redundant!

oh dear, treefrog.......do you mean to be this way?

The only 'whingeing' going on here is yours!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    As a word of advice on this, dont just think the important brick session to do is bike to run, yeah this takes a lot of getting used to but it does become easier.

Make sure you do some stuff after the a swim, for my first tri at Windsor i did the bike route loads and was more than comfortable swimming the 1200meters so as i wasnt using legs thought it would be easy onto the bike! Boy was i wrong, you dont realise how much the swim takes it out of you you need to get your body used to going from horizontal to verticle and the blood pumping from you arms to your legs!

I usually do at least 2k after every bike ride just so my legs think thats the norm but try once a week to run or cycle after a hard swim, it makes a big difference on race day. Well to me anyway
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    clarkey30 wrote:

...don't just think the important brick session to do is bike to run....

Well, the spring air inspired me to do a row/cycle brick session. I did a 2,000m in 7:19 (7:13 is the fastest I can go!). This got the ticker thumping away at 160+ bpm. Then straight off and on to the bike (well, bike machine for 'twas all in the Gym) for 5 minutes at level 14/20, 100+ RPM. This got the HR up to 145 at the end.

Then repeated the set: This time 7:58 for the 2,000 - HR at 164. Then the same on the bike again. This time a got a new Max HR for the bike machine - 150.

Then I tried another row, but nearly passed out. So had to stop.

The legs felt awful on the bike. I can hardly walk. Although the weather was so nice that I did play tennis, outside for a couple of sets this afternoon ;-).

But the point is that a row/bike "brick" was quite interesting

(Knee injury is still preventing running).
    clarkey30 wrote:

As a word of advice on this, dont just think the important brick session to do is bike to run, yeah this takes a lot of getting used to but it does become easier.

nOW THATS A GOOD TIP THAT4S OVERLOOKED TOO OFTEN TOO EASY! (oops, shift lock on)

Practising T1 is good too, cause on race day you really need to focus and be effective.

Although race nerves and excitement will surely mess things up big time, having done it a few times before really help.