Home Chat Race Chat

East Leake Duathlon

Hi everyone,

I'm due to take part in the East Leake Duathlon (Nr Loughborough) on 5th March. Anyone out there done it before? Any comments, helpful tips or information about the transition area etc.?

Comments

• pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Hi Chis

Haven't done a duathlon at East Leake, but did a tri there last year. If the run & bike legs are the same then the bike is good - gently undulating and good roads, but the run is up a farm track, and uphill. Transition was OK, tarmac and a bit gritty but not a problem.

I haven't entered yet but I'm hoping to do it, so might see you there!

• chischis Posts: 94
    Thanks pacrfish, farm track run sounds er...interesting! Maybe see you at East Leake.

chis
    Hi chis

Have just entered for the East Leake duathlon. Hope it's not too wet and windy - a good westerly can make the bike a bit of a slog. I'm familiar with the pain of the bike to run transition, but do you have any hints on the run to bike transition? I've not tried that yet ....

Have just seen your days training update on the other thread - don't think I'll see you at East Leake - you'll be off in a cloud of dust while I'm still trying to find the start!

Hi Pat

In my experience the run to bike transition is nowhere near as hard as the bike to run. I haven't experienced too many difficulties - you don't get that feeling that your legs don't belong to you as you seem to when you get off the bike and try to run.

Some competitors like to go just a fraction easier on the first run in order to "save a bit for later" but I can't say that I have consciously done that myself.

If you could manage to get a couple of training sessions in before the day where you do a short run (say 2-3 miles) and then hop straight on to the bike for a short ride (and the other way around too if you wish) you will begin to see how it feels. These "Brick sessions" are great for getting you used to the change in disciplines that you will do on race day.

My dilemma particularly for short course duathlon like East Leake will be what to wear on my feet for the bike. I have kept my trainers on in the past and used toe clips on the bike. Also I have tried changing into cycling shoes for longer duathlons. Also I have a pair of Pyro Platforms which allow you to keep your trainers on yet still have a rigid platform like cycling shoes. They are not as good as cycling shoes but for a short ride they can save transition time. Mmmm... not sure what I'll do yet.

What will you be doing Pat?

Hope its not windy on the day.

Chis
    Hi chis

Thanks for that - nice to think T1 is not as horrid as T2 ... And I'll schedule some bricks in. Most of my training is longer distance at the moment so it would be nice to do some shorter sessions.

I'll change into cycling shoes then back again - frankly at my pace it doesn't make that much difference and I'm much more comfortable on the bike in my proper shoes.

Not too sure what I'm going to make of it really. Usually in a tri I'm one of the last out of the water, overtake people on the bike then get overtaken again on the run. Bike, run, bike would suit me much better! It's also shorter than I've been doing recently so I don't really know how to pace it. It seems to take my body 3-4 miles on a run and 8-9 miles on the bike to give in and submit so shorter distances are a bit helter-skelter!

Anyway, I'm praying for a calm, dull but dry day!

See you there

Hi chis

Have just heard that the bike/run are the same as last years tri - so the run should be both uphill and muddy unless the weather changes dramatically...

Transition is on a car park (good tarmac) which will be better than last year.

I understand that there will be 2 waves, with us golden oldies in the second wave at 1020.

Still praying for dry weather!

Thanks for the info Pat. As you say, if the weather doesn't improve it could be a bit slimy on the old farmers track! Don't know about you but I think I'll take my trail running shoes along as well as my normal running shoes - if the run is off road and muddy then I will definitely be changing into cycling shoes for the bike too.

Hope it gets a shade warmer as well - at current temperatures transition could be a long job if we want to stay warm on the bike!!

See you there,

chis
    Pat

Any idea what the weather / road conditions are likely to be like in the East Leake area tomorrow? I believe you reside in that neck of the woods. The roads have been quite icy up in South Yorks. today especially around 9 a.m to 11a.m. until the sun got to them. Just thinking the conditions might be a bit dodgy for the bike section tomorrow.

chis
    Hi Chis/Jim

Sorry I didn't check the forum til today - too late now because now you know what it was like!

What did you think of today? I think the run was very short (2.3 miles by my calculations). At the tri last year transition was in the lower car park (bottom right as we drove in) and the lap took you round in front of the school by the entrance to registration. It made quite a difference.

Good to meet you, and I was also really helped by encouragement from you and some of the other guys along the route. I joke about being at the back, but when that second wave went off, there was me, another woman and 1 guy at the back all looking at each other while the rest of you had sped off into the distance, so the words of support do help.

Don't know if we'll meet up again. I don't think duathlon is my scene (can't get my head round doing the same thing twice in a race!) and I need a longer distance to force the body into submission.... but I do wish you well with your ambitions for this season.

And another question - what decision did you make on footwear for the race - and was it the right one? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of those Pyro Platforms?? Watching the exit from T1 for the fast guys, I was surprised at how few seemed to be in stockinged feet with their shoes clipped to their pedals. I coudn't see the advantage in putting cycling shoes on properly in T1 if you are that good? Sorry - so many questions but I'm interested in the answers!!

Thanks - oh and it also helped to know that someone else made mistakes in transition ... I had a very slow time - even the BTA man gave me a hand at one point!

Pat

Good to meet you and your family. I enjoyed the event although a little disappointed with my splits. I agree with you about the distances - I notice that you have a Garmin too - mine confirms your mileage for the run. Thank you for your advice about the farmer's track - I wore my trail running shoes and they came in handy particularly at the top end of the run where it was a bit sloppy!

I thought it was a very nice venue, a decent bike course and well organised for a small event. People were very helpful and friendly-marshalls were great and I would definitely do it again - will probably do the triathlon there if it fits in with National Ranking Series events.

I did end up using my pyro platforms so that I could just seemlessly move between run and bike but that plan went to pot with my glasses falling off, my helmet failing to fasten. messing about with my watch and then going in the wrong direction out of transition!! No time saved whatsoever and in fact at least three positions lost in the process! Still I can laugh about it now.

Normally for a short course like that one the platfroms allow a swifter transition and provide better pedalling power than toe clips. I think I would use them again but perhaps in warmer weather when I wasn't having to think about gloves and extra clothes in T1 as well. I used them to great benefit in last year's Derby Triathlon at Etwall where there is a fairly lengthy trot from the pool to the transition area - down concrete steps and across the school playing fields. There I slipped trainers on immediately outside the pool rather than run barefoot to T1 and then hopped straight onto the bike without another shoe change. For longer routes though I definitely prefer cycling shoes. The platforms are about £89 so I not sure they are the best use of my cash.

My next event is the Derby Duathlon on 26th March at Calver's Rock near Ticknall. Sorry to hear that Duathlon isn't your scene but I know what you mean - The three different disciplines does give you greater feeling of achievement somehow.

I wasn't joking when I said you looked comfortable on the bike. I seem to push the pedals like mad but don't get the return for my efforts - perhaps I need to improve pedalling technique in order to achieve a smoother style like yours to become more efficient. Any advice?
    Hi Chis

Just looked at my not very impressive result for East Leake. The run wasn't too bad (for me!) but the bike leg was 5 mins longer than my tri time last year - maybe I just looked comfortable on the bike because I wasn't doing anything!! Someone who both cycles and runs (holds the record for the max number of marathons completed in a year!) once told me you can tell a runner on a bike because he doesn't keep his foot flat on the pedals - the tendency is to use the ball of the foot as in running. I have found that actively trying to drop my heels when the going gets tough on the bike seems to use different muscles, and produce more power for the effort. Might be a complete red herring but I pass it on for what it's worth!

Thanks for the info on the pyro platforms - I shall keep an eye on them - out of money for this year - they seem an interesting concept for the shorter events.

I did the Derby tri for a couple of years (but not last year because I did the Nottingham half marathon instead) and well remember that long run to T1. Have you seen the Derby Tri Club Spring Tri - a new event at the end of April? Same place, but with a 500m swim, 30K bike (fairly hilly route I understand) and 5k run. I've entered that and the Grendon Lakes tri to give me an open water before my biggie this year, the 70.3 down at Exmoor. I'd like to do Southwell in May, but my sister wants me to do the Gaddesby half marathon the day before Southwell, so that's probably out this year. Don't know what will happen after the 70.3 (assuming I get through it - survival is my aim!). I'll do the East Leake tri because it's near, and then maybe Clumber or maybe the Nottingham marathon. I'd love to do an Ironman in a couple of years but that's just a dream at the moment.

Good luck for the Derby Duathlon!

Hi Pat

Thanks for the tip about dropping the heels to get better pedalling technique. I will certainly give it a try.

I quite fancy the Derby Spring Tri but it falls on the same day as the Cambridge Duathlon which I am already entered for. The East Leake Tri is a distinct possibility so I might see you there - by that time you will be super fit - I was exhausted just reading your plans for the 70.3 and the half marathons! Good on you though, and good luck in your forthcoming events.

I'll let you know how my pedalling technique is going.

chis
    Good luck with Cambridge - and keep in touch!
    How has your training gone this week? Mine has been miserable-been on a timetabling (as in secondary school timetabling) course in Cumbria since Wednesday and don't seem to have seen the light of day for the last 3/4 days!

Hoping to get back to serious training tomorrow - weather permitting cos we are forecast a load of snow!

chis
    Hi Chis

Good week - for me! 2 bike sessions (intervals + a 55 mile ride - very cold and windy in the hills of Charnwood), 2 runs (intervals and a 9 miler) and a fairly pathetic swim. That's about the max I can manage given husband, kids, work etc.

Inspired by your comments on your trail shoes at the duathlon, I found a pair at Sweatshop (£25 in the sale - brilliant!) and on Sunday morning did what you're not meant to do and did my 9 mile run in them straight off. They were great! I run the paths around the perimeter track at East Midlands Airport and it can get quite muddy, and they made such a difference! I am really pleased - so thank you!

This week is not looking so good - work might well get in the way. But there's no snow here yet - just cold, cold wind!

Hope you have a better week ....
    Got some training in at last-Sunday 5 miler at a brisk pace 85% of MHR in the snow. Felt as though I was starting all over again!

Glad that the trail shoes seem to be a good buy.

I must say I'm impressed with the training you got in last week - 55 miler on the bike takes some doing. I think the last time I did anywhere near that distance in one go I was doing a route from Lyme Regis to the Bristol Channel and back over two days. I flagged somewhat on the second day - I think "bonked" is the technical term! I must try to get more miles in on two wheels but the weather has been against me so far.

Keep it going Pat and you'll breeze that 70.3!

chis
    Trouble is - it's a very slow breeze!

And this week has fallen apart on me - haven't done any training yet!!