Home Chat General Chat

Trek 1.9 c

Hi Guys and Girls

Just got hold of a good second hand Trek 1.9 c bike, its my first road bike and wanted to know how it will measure up against the rest. And if the spec is need of tweaking!...full spec is below:

Fork Bontrager Race, carbon; SpeedTrap compatible

Wheels Bontrager Race

Tires Bontrager Race Lite, 700x23c

Shifters Shimano Ultegra STI, 10 speed

Front Derailleur Shimano Ultegra

Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra

Crank Shimano Ultegra 52/39/30

Cassette Shimano Ultegra 12-27 (triple), 10 speed

Pedals Shimano SPS 520

Saddle Specialized Toupé Titanium Railed Saddle

Seat Post Bontrager Carbon, Infinite Angle Adjustability

Handlebars Bontrager Race

Stem Bontrager Race Lite OS, 7 degree, 31.8mm

Headset Aheadset w/cartridge bearings, integrated, sealed, alloy

Brakeset Shimano Ultegra w/Shimano Ultegra STI levers

Hope to hear from you all....

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    tbh, looks pretty good.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Looks fine to me, as long as it fits and your comfy on it then it'll be sound.

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Gary i had the 1.7 last year which is basically the same spec except the 1.9 comes with shimano ultegra whilst the 1.7 has 105.

Lovely bikes as youve probably already worked out! i loved mine until it got nicked
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi Clarkey30

Yeah, its going well so far! Just back from a ride out this morning, i was picking up on something lose at the front end whilst riding so have just investigated, it is the forks 'wobbling around' inside the frame (there is a very small amount of clearance and the forks shake). Whilst this is very slight i was wondering if it was normal or if i need to do something to sort it. I have had the bars off and had a good lok around, but there doesn't seem to be anything i can do apart from ensure the stem is pushed down as tight as possible before tightening.

Was yours like this?

P.S. What have you got now?
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Er im not sure mate, doesnt sound right as a little movement with them being carbon could fracture them? I am in no way an expert on bikes. but i would have done the same as you...

Mine got nicked the night after i went to the TCR, managed to get a decent insurance payout, SBR were absolutely brilliant by the way, so im waiting for a TREK Madone 4.5 to come in, i needed a pick me up after the start to the year ive had!!!!! (and its blue)

Id get the forks checked out as the last thing you want is the front end coming away at 30kph, that thumb might get stuck for good! Might be worth getting a good service done before the season starts.

Great bike though the 1 series great value
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Sounds like your headset could be loose. Nothing major, but you need to make sure it is done up properly, (and not over tightened). Best to take it in
  • pigsy65pigsy65 Posts: 25
    If your not sure, get it checked out by your LBS, better to be safe.

It will give you peace of mind and as mentioned before may prevent an accident. I personaly like Trek bikes, there great.
    Sounds like your headset could be loose

Hi agent_ti

Headset loose.....can you explain further.....i'm very familiar with a tool box. i think i should be able to handle this but like i said before, i couldn't spot anything obvious when i took the bars off to have a nose around.

What do i need to tighten?
    This should help explain how to tighten it properly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQasFxElKQ&feature=channel_page

Basically if your headset isnt tight enough, then there will be some play in the forks which will make them loose and allow them to wobble a bit, which i think it what your describing. If it isn't, or you do this and it doesnt work, then take it to your bike shop
    @ agent_ti

thank you so much!

Just watched the vid and fixed in a matter of min's. I was fixing the stem BEFORE the cap (or whatever the top part is called). So it stands to reason that i couldn't get it right!

You've just single handedly restored my faith in this forum.....thanks again!
    Ah, common mistake, the number of times I've been wrestling with the top nut trying to remove the play....

Glad to help! [:D]