Home Chat General Chat

Which training plan for ? IM?

After getting drunk over Xmas I purchased a LOT of tri related books…I’ve now taken the plunge and entered the New Forest Middle Distance race in Sept…I need to train in structured manner and I’m not which sure book/training plan to use.

Could people give me a recommendation from the following 3, I don’t have the time to read all 3 and make a judgement therefore I welcome the thoughts of this forum..

The Training Bible

BeIronFit – can this be adapted from IM distance?

Essential Week-By-Week Training Guide (Matt Fitzgerald) – this has lots of plans but not a lot of other theory.

All experiences welcome

Of course option 4 – haphazard training based on my own knowledge (which is none!!)

Scotty

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Joe Friel - Triathlon Training Bible is a great book.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    whichever plan you go for, definitely read be ironfit as he explains everything really well. all the advice you'll ever need about going long!
  • Thanks Conehead, however the reason I'm doing the 1/2 Ironman is beacuse I read that book...

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Option Four everytime.Learn from your mistakes,don't take it to seriously(by paying too much attention to what others say you should be doing),enjoy yourself then write the Book.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Sorry forgot to add that

Good judgement comes from experience,but experience only appears to come from bad judgement.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I spent ages trying to get into Joe Friels books and Don Finks one but they are all aimed at full IM so I wemt with the plan on beginnertriathlete.com, pretty good.

Read the books tho...

Iain
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I undertook a half IM last year, I experimented with various training plans but it came down to this : Winter/Spring I did the full distance in each discipline once a week at sub race pace ie 80 Lengths of the pool (non-stop), 90+ kM on the bike and then 22kM run. In late spring I ramped it up a bit and did them a bit faster, and then as time progressed I took them right up even doing a full bike/run brick session. Also I did a few shorter distance competitions, intervals and lots of Open Water swimming as the time came closer and PRACTISE YOUR FEED PLAN!. It went ok on the day, though my run was slower than I wanted