Home Chat General Chat

Leg speed

Hi, I've just completed my first 1/2 marathon as part of building up my aerobic base and pleased to have hit one of my goals for this year already.

However, I noticed that on the uphill sections, and there were a few, I was overtaking people but when on the flat, or downhill, I was being overtaken.

My training has focussed on getting up a number of hills to cope with the race but my speed, or lack of it, on the flat has either suffered or not progressed. Any idea's on how best to increase speed on the flat?

Cheers, Simon.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hi there,

I would look into interval training. try using lamp posts as a marker. Run normally for a few K's to get warmed up then sprint from one to the next and then slow it down for a couple then up the speed for a lamp post or two then slow it to normal again. try it for a few runs and see. I tend to do this as a race gets closer. It works for me and you can mix it up as required.

good luck.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Physiology makes a difference too.

Generally speaking, if you are shorter, you have an advantage going up hills.

If you are longer, then you tend to have an advantage going down hills.

It's really about leg length -> stride length, i.e. going downhill it's not so much the stride rates that is the limiting factor (assuming the hill is steep enough).

Uphill, shorter legs, higher cadence is an advantage: Longer heavy legs don't help so much.

Not so sure about the flat.

• Thanks for the replies.

I'll try the intervals, lots of hills round here so maybe I've been saving myself for the uphill run back home too much.

Jack - I'm sure physiology is a factor but perhaps not the biggest element here as I'm 6ft tall!

Appreciate your help.
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    run more slowly on the way up...that way you have more energy coming down [;)]