Home Chat General Chat

want to lose weight but train for first tri as well

Any tips on diet/nutrition?

Obviously I want to be eating enough to train efficiently but I dont want to gain weight.. I am trying to lose u see.

Any help anyone? Oh and I dont eat meat.. so any suggestions of meals without meat would be good thanks

I just dont want to be spoiling any chance of losing weight I have by bulking up too much.

I am trying to cut alot of cr*p out of my diet but at the sametime I know my body needs fuel etc..

any ideas?

Cheers

Shell :-)

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    A good starting point would be to remember that fuel in must be less than fuel burnt to avoid gaining weight. This does not mean starve yourself and loss weight withnto much exercise.

a balanced diet will see you through making sure you get the correct protein and minerals to balance out all the training. There are threads on here about supplements and protein shakes that you might find interesting.

I cant help with the NO meat thing as I am a meat eater but pasta brown rice and malt loaf are good.( dont think malt loaf has meat in it? Another serving idea there then!)

I gather that beans are good source of protein and good fats so a mixed bean chilli with brown rice looks good. There often examples in the 220 mag each month of recipes.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I always try and make my lunches the previous evening and to last two days (any longer you're risking poisoning yourself). This usually stops me from satisfying my cravings for other things at lunchtime knowing I've got it with me.

Todays and tomorrows lunch is wholemeal pasta mixed with a tin of tuna, mixed beans (from a tin), sweetcorn, spring onion and a load of grated carrot. Dressing of olive oil, white wine vinegar and some wholegrain mustard. Dead easy, quick and pretty tasty as well.

No 'Fuzzy's grub' sandwich for me today (and if you don't know what a fuzzy's grub sandwich tastes like you haven't lived - non meat eaters need not apply).

• meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    thanks guys, so if I stick to the basic rule of move more, eat less that should help!

whats with all the malt loaf posts? is that a staple food for triathletes? or a wind up?

[8|]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Go and google it "soreen"

Irs one of natures super foods!!!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    enrgy in less than energy out
  • danthemandantheman Posts: 15
    Hi meakie,

I've been in a similar position to you in that i've got my first tri coming up and have a few extra pounds to shed. I started my training in Jan, weighing in at 15 Stone, 2 months later and i'm now 13.3 and feeling fitter than ever.

I was very concerned with getting the balance of eating correctly, being fit for training, losing weight and getting some muscle definition at the same time.

My basic stratergy for the weektime has been cereal in the morning, a very light lunch, nutritious meal as early in the eveningas poss, followed by a few hours digestion time and then a long run.

If i go to the gym on my day off, i will have my cereal, do the workout, and then go for a protein rich meal (usually my favourite meal of the week!) early evening. I was worried that all my weight loss would be undone by putting on weight in muscle, but this does not seem to have happened. In fact, muscle use a lot of energy, so the more you have the more energy you will use throughout the day, and the more fat you will ultimatly burn.

As for my cycle days, usually at the weekend, i will again have cereal before i set off (this is the KEY meal i think), and then take sandwhichs out on the cycle with me to replenish my carbs.

As people have said, all this simply works on the process of burning more energy than you are taking in. This can slow your metabolism down if you decrease your food intake by too much, but by doing excersise will keep it in gear.

I also had a major binge week off when it was snowing etc. which i regret, but have managed to get back on track thankfully.

Water is weight loss's best friend as well

Good luck!
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Flavadave - Since reading your post this morning I haven't been able to think of anything but Fuzzy Grubs!! Needless to say I went with the granary option with no butter, surely the rest can't be that bad.. right? It was blooming lovely and will hopefully motivate me to get on the turbo trainer tonight!
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    As treefrog said, its simply a matter of more calories burnt than calories you eat. Aim for about a 500 calorie deficit a day, (quite easy if you used to have a diet like mine), and this should lead to somewhere around a kilo of weight loss a week, safely. As someone mentioned above, make sure you are drinking a lot of water as this will help, and cut out and/or reduce alcohol intake and sugary foods, (although sugary foods are good for having during/just after training). In terms of training, just try and ensure that you have during/after enough food to cover your calories that you burnt to replenish the energy, and some protein as well for repair. By doing this, you will be able to train properly without feeling overly tired and still lose weight! Also switch all bread/cereal/rice/pasta to wholegrain and brown, it fills you up and is much better for your energy levels. Good luck!