Home Chat General Chat

Saliva and Snot (spit or swallow)!?!

Sorry for the title!

When running I get excessive build-up of saliva and have to spit every few hundred yards. Also the clearing my nose of snot every so often is necessary too. I don't get it with cycling or swimming and it's driving me nuts!

A . Is this common?

B . Any reasons behind it?

C . Any solutions?

p.s. Thanks for all the posts on 'Boardman vs Trek'

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Yes its very comon, most runners get this. The saliva in your throat will be thicker due to your body absorbing moisture during exersion, you shoudnt swallow this, try to get rid of it (descreetly).

Runny nose, again most runners get this as the body will produce more mucus during exersize, some of this will soak up dust and dirt entering the sinuses. Do you suffer from running nose on a treadmill, if not, could be an alergy, i.e hayfever. If its REALLY bad you can go to a doctor and get some nasal spray which will reduce this.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I tend to assess the area I am running in and weather people are watching before I decide spit or swallow.

With the nose thing try putting some vicks under each nostrol before you run so the vapours clean you out good and proper.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

I snotrocket periodically. I figure it's still nicer than what a petrol or diesel engine churns out, so I don't worry about it, but I do try to avoid other people. [:D]
  • pigsy65pigsy65 Posts: 25
    Snotrocket! he he!

I don't seem to need to spit much, but if I do I do.

I carry a tissue to avoid snotting.

Pigsy
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Dealing with snot/saliva/slabber - the athlete's guide....

1. Bring hand to nose

2. Cover appropriate nostril

3. Blow out through uncovered nostril

The above should be caried out whilst in motion

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    The technical purists will note how treefrog, being an expert, has also NOT included the beginner step 2a. Check that nobody is behind you before firing.

That'll teach you for being slow. [:D]

Same goes for spitting, discarding bottles, breaking wind etc... don't like being hit? Pedal harder then.
  • neilcoeneilcoe Posts: 6
    Ah, I'm just glad I'm not the only one out there that suffers.

Will be doing my first tri in October so will look forward to hocking up on the path will everyone else [:D]

What a sight!!!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    And the streets are paved with gold (nose boggies)

Which is nice!
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    careful all - you don't want to admit you broke an ankle by slipping on a grolly - tread carefully - it's a warzone out there