Home Chat General Chat

Should there be a 220 Forum Triathlon Club/Team?

Comments

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    I can see you are all thinking along the lines I was ... I figured if we get some support from 220 but maybe need to have forum in the name - could even just be "220 forum"

The good thing about this forum as opposed to others is we've got some experienced tri'ers and a lot of novices (or at least those in first season). Other clubs seem to be the other way round.

I'll contact marketing at 220 and see what they can do for us (if anything!)

Jazdog
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    i aint having the word 'forum' on the rear of my trisuit ... it might giove people the wrong idea about me afterall am a devout catholic (sputter)

madnurse

give me a tribe of tri mad deliquants anytime [:D]
  • Look's as though everyone agrees with the set up of a team.

So what are the next steps people? Do we contact 220 and say the nutters on the forum want to put together a tri team and have an association with the magazine.....This would probaly putthem off mind you.

I think this is a really great idea and is something that we should push forward with, I am well and truly prepared to get involved and start the ball rolling.

So what do we now do????

HAppy
    gut feeling tells me that 220 wont be as forthcoming with support as we might hope (I would like to be wrong but hey).

I suppose we need to sort out what it is we want from the idea ie what we wAnt it to actually do IE above and beyond what the forum does already.
  • What we want I guess is a national team of like minded individuals who can meet at races and race together under the clours of 220. Also we might be able to offer training for all that live in locations close to one another.

I do think some thought needs to go into this but I have had dealings with 220 in the past and they are generally up for discussion on these types of things.

What thoughts do the others have? What do we all want from this?

If we can come up with some form of structure I am more than happy to make the approach to 220 and discuss the options.

HAppy
    i have left as message with my local BTA development officer to get back to us - I was hoping to ask him for a few ideas on how to go about this esp as we would be an internet based club rather than a 'normal' one ... hope this sits ok with everyone and wondered if there any questions you might want to have rasied ???

madnurse phil
  • One issue we do have, out of the 300 odd members the forum has only 8 have voted to say that they are interested.

We do need to have a few more interested people involved than 8. Otherewise we have nothing to really offer in terms of promotion of the publication etc. to make 220 interested.
  • Good move Mad,

Lets see what he comes back with in terms of how realistic this might actually be. Do you think it would be a good idea at this stage to bounce the idea of 220??

Happy - Justin
    true but we aint going to get loads initailly most clubs only start we a few members .. 13 as we (by the poll aint a bad start) but yeh we will need more to get this viable with either the 220 or whoever we approach

mad
    [:D][:D][:D] Fair point Phil! [:D][:D][:D]

My basic idea was for those who don't have a club locally but want to join one (whether for camaraderie or to affiliate to one of the governing bodies or just to put down a club when they race). I'm not sure about the BTA but TriScotland give ranking points for clubs based on how people that race for them perform. I'm not suggesting anything elitest like that but it would be a good laugh to see how a 220 team did.

Mad, I'm like you and would be surprised if we got a lot of support from 220 but its worth asking the question.

Whats the purpose of any club? Camaraderie (we have in abundance), shared knowledge (we have), competition (not got yet) shared resources (???), training together (not likely given geographical split), meeting place (pick a 220 race of the season - all that can make it meet up before/after- prizes for best splits/worst splits etc) You could even set up a points league within the club. Lots of things we can do once the principle of setting up the club formally has been done. This doesn't even have to interfere with existing club membership!

I suggest we each put forward a suggestion for a name and then poll on it!

Here's mine!

2 Tri or 20 Tri?[:)]

Or

(MadLoons and Dogs Go out in the Mid Day Tri!)

Club Motto - "Everyone loves a Tri-er!"
  • craig75craig75 Posts: 21
    What we also need to provide the mag with is the sort of exposure they will be getting as in, out of all of us interested - what events we are taking part in over the next 6 months say where their magazine would be getting exposure from advertising ie. US and our nice tri-suits.

Let the marketing team at the mag have a say on our team suits. A. It gets them involved and B. they are probably better at that sort of thing than us!

Cerise?????

Craig
    blimey that was quick - the BTA development officer (Rob Bishop) rang back ... he says its relatively easy to set up a club. He obviously advises it is registered with the BTA whic would cost £115.00 per annum. This would include club membership as well as 3rd party insurance for all incidents that occured as part of club activities.He sending me further info & is happy to advise as we might need. he doesnt see the fact the club would be online as an issue in fact it would possibly make things easier as we wouldnt need to look at venues for meetings or what ever. In essence we do most stuff online keep it simple

mad
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Craig I agree...although at the minute there is only 13 of us if it grows the mag will get exposure they don't have to spend much just act as a "sponsor" from the point of view that they are fixed entity rather than a load people from all over the country..

It would be good to have a neutral company involved for any money that maybe required to be paid - fees, club kit etc as they will already be geared up for this from a business point of view.

Failing that nurses shop idea to run all kit through is a belter...

"220 Tri Tribe"

if we did go with appraoching the traithlon shop which is called tri-active then how about ..... tri'be-active or tri'bal-active (with or without the 220 bit added on) to give 220 tri'be active or not .. dunno
    Either of those ideas work for me. Only issue with the shop idea mad is the national exposure. Does he/she do mail order? If so then sure they'd be keen. 220 at least is the national mag! Could always do both!

Also think it would be good getting 220 involved early!

Have just sent an email to advertising contact at 220! Will keep you up to date!
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    One of the extra benefits that 220 would get from this is. As a local club nobody has really heard of say for example St NoddiesTri club (Name was invented so as not too offend any real triathlon clubs in the making of this email.), so the club is not really marketed around the country. However if we were 220, there would be atheltes wearing 220 kit all around the country. we would effectively be the advertising boards. i can't see them refusing.

Maybe as an extra thought they could negotiate some new bikes, uhm home training pools lol.

Nice one...If we start small - i.e. get some form of sponsorship to pay for the BTA affilation fee each year...

Web Geek moment...

us all adding the url of the sponsor to our sigs would increase the traffic to their website massively via search engines which should more than cover the £115.00

If the sponsor is 220 that wouldn't work coz we are already on their site

End web geek moment

and in english for us simple mortals ... ??????
    I think he means if we add a URL scipt line to our digital signatures which will negotiate a bandwidth from readers perspective via discreet Internet routing, then 220 will benefit from enhanced datastreams due to increased levels of hitting the webserver.

That better for you lol

told ya it was a geek moment
    you lost me after "add"
    It basically means as an example, (I think it works this way). Every time somebody goes on the website BT give 220 1 pence. Not hundred percent sure but it is something like that. When they hit a certain amount of people that is.

I am sure somebody will clarify this properly.

obviously ............
    You nought. I feel a tit now lol
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I think that regardless of support from 220 or anyone else we should still go ahead and carry this thing through. First of all it will enable quick identification of members at races. It will allow us to meet for training even if its only once or twice a year. It gets you £10 off membership fees for BTA. Its also good to be in a club for motivation reasons.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I like the idea of knowing a like minded group of folk around the country, one of the ways I see it working is that for people coming out of thier local area they can contact folk in the new area and get support and advice from a local. Its the opportunity to move around the country and have a pre-established list of like minded people you can meet up with either for training or racing. I also like the idea of trying to organise a get together every so often.

Names wise I like the idea of "Tri'be 220" or alternatively just "Tri'be" as its short and will look good on any snazzy stuff we get knocked up, and we all know that tri is about looking mighty fine in lycra [8D]
    All good stuff... Other thing I thought off was training weekend's! (somewhere in lakes or Yorkshire) - we can hire a youth hostel for cheap and get some quality biking in trying to catch mad on his new steed! Need to be somewhere near a pool or a lake obviously!

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Awesome idea. I'm keen regardless of club or no. Will be nice to hurl abuse... sorry, encouragement at people as I walk up the hills [;)]

I tell you I felt like slapping one or two folk on the London to Brigfhton ride on that last big hill.[:@] Though to be fair most of the stuff bantered was +ve.