Home Chat General Chat

Great session Ð or is it?

MowfMowf Posts: 272
I did a great session yesterday that left me properly cooked, but feeling really strong. I really enjoyed, but I have no idea if actually did me any good! Basically I did a set of 10 x 40 second hill reps at a fairly fast pace (not threshold, but certainly above my race-pace for an incline). I then went for a race pace 5k run. My theory being that, while not technically a ‘brick’ session, my legs were still pretty cooked from the repeats – so it is getting my legs used to racing at a fast(ish) pace while fatigued. And so, my 5 time is a pretty good indicator of my fitness.

I plan on doing this session every couple of weeks to mix it up. But also to gauge how my training is progressing. Does that sound sensible? Or am I overcooking it (my A races are in June)?

Cheers.

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Nice one! Sounds like a great session, but it might be a bit early for that kind of thing... I'd also be slighty concerned if you just suddenly went into 10 x 40s hills. Maybe start with fewer reps?

Hard to say without knowing your running background and overall fitness levels. Also, be careful of shin splints if you are battering yourself up hills.

Session sounds like a good one, though. You've made me want to go out and do some hill repeats now. I did some a few weeks back and some of the forumites (benny and frog) told me to calm down a bit.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I thought someone might say that. Back to the plodding then, i guess! Thanks for the response.
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Good session!! Ill have to disagree with Bopomofo though!

I have been doing Hill reps runs all winter, Triathletes dont tend to do enough hill work, mainly because it hurts and running hills is never fun.

Over Dec, Jan and 1st week of Feb I was doing hill reps, starting off with 8 x 60s with jog down recoveries in Dec right upto 15 x 90s Hill reps with jog down recoveries. Then once home again jump on the Turbo for a 6 x 5min @ Low L3 with 1 min@ Low L2 intervals. This was once a week, on a Saturday for me.

Now Im doing 75min Hilly as poss straight run at around L3 so just below race pace comfortable yet challenging. I use a series of Hills then finish off the Cat and Fiddle loop (peak district) from Stoke on Trent... I think there are around 5 or 6 damn steep hills that start as soon as you get down the previous one! It also gives good training for running downhill too, which is another thing that is often neglected.

I have two Key races this year, Bala Middle distance in June and the Long Distance European Championships in Prague in August, Its never too early to be doing at least one hill session a week:)