Home Chat General Chat

Strange bike idea for Wimbleball

Ok bit of an odd question coming up - I asked this a while back and got little response however following my spectacular nose dive from my bike the other day and the subsequent damage to it the point has become more pressing.

I am doing the UK 70.3 later this year - it will be my first and therefore you can imagine I am a little concerned about the bike. I currently race a Trek 9.5 Equinox which obviously has full TT cockpit.

Wimbleball being a hilly/technical ride (I rode it on my i-magic yesterday - so I now know) obviously favours the road bike, however my heavy alloy training bike is not up to it, therefore can I adapt my Trek.

What I am thinking is whip off the TT cockpit and replace it with a carbon drop handle road cocpit with some super light clip ons and Ultegra STIs. Which I am thinking will give me the best of both worlds - correct geometry for bike to run and STIs/road handlbars for handling.

Is this a good idea or am I mad????

Thanks

Iain.

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I did similar for IM Switzerland on a Principia TT. I used a roadesque base bars and Syntace extensions. I had quite a high stack so the aero position was compromised, the extensions were good to rest on. I think you hit the nail on the head by questioning the geometry/handling issue. Shortly after that I bought the P3C which allowd me comfort and aero. All I can really advise is try it and see

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    I did a Tri at Wimbleball a couple of years ago... not the 70.3 but our Inter Services (Army Vs Navy Vs RAF) annual event, it used the same course as the 70.3.... I used my TT bike for it and it was fine, and I posted a top 10 bike split too:) It was absolutely pi**ing down too and the wettest race I have ever done!

I not sure what the effect would be on handling etc if you swapped the cockpit for a road one... I know that I wouldnt do it the other way around ie road-TT geometry..

Think it may just be down to personal preference, so ultimately upto you. Be wary of doing the course on the I-Magic and relying on that as it may not be that accurate.

I know I would choose TT over road bike 99% of the time....
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Thanks both for the feedback - I am still undecided, from what I have read the forward position on the TT bike gives the lack of stability not the handlebars. The main reason I was thinking of doing this was for the availability of STIs and breaks when in a relatively aero position.

Hussler - did you find yorelf using you aero bars a lot during climbing or were you on the bullhorns? some of those hills lookk pretty steep! Mind you having just seen your post on gearing (only using an 11T and up to 25 - which I assume you used for this) I imagine you would have no probs!!

Iain