Home Chat General Chat

taking your bike abroad

I am off to a pre season training camp in spain in april and taking my bike with me, but I am worried weather it will get damaged in the flight hold. What I need is advice on a company thta can insure my bike against damage in transport

any idea or thoughts anybody

Comments

• pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I have a bike bag from somebody in the club my bike costsd me at christmas £2,250 so it's worth insuring and don't think easyjet will cover that type of money

thanks for that will look on wiggles for a box, have you the contact details for the insurance company you mentioned

thanks
  • bobraynerbobrayner Posts: 27
    Conehead wrote:

It also depends on how much your bike is worth, if it's under £700 (which is the limit of the airlines liability for lost bags, as I found out...) then the airline is liable for damaging your bike in transit. I might be wrong on that though - not sure if airlines apply the same rules to cycles as they do normal baggage. Something to check with the airline?

EC regulation 889/2002 says:

[color=#3300cc]"The air carrier is liable for destruction, loss or damage to baggage up to 1000 SDRs (approximate amount in local currency). In the case of checked baggage, it is liable even if not at fault, unless the baggage was defective. In the case of unchecked baggage, the carrier is liable only if at fault."[/color]

Baggage is baggage. Your bike counts as baggage. If your bike is worth more than 1000SDRs then you should at least get partial refund from them (unless there's some reason they can use the "defective baggage" line). At the moment, 1000 SDRs are worth £1033.

However, the same regulation also says:

[color=#0000cc]"A passenger can benefit from a higher liability limit by making a special declaration at the latest at check-in and by paying a supplementary fee."[/color]

• bobraynerbobrayner Posts: 27
    Your normal travel insurance might cover it too.

Also, if you have home contents insurance, it's possible that the bike - which is normally in your house, right? - is covered by that too.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Get a bike box, and dont scrimp, baggage handlers (I know one) are less than sympathetic with bags regardless if they have "fragile" etc on them. I've got a Scicon Aerotech and they are the dogs b******s!! Take wheels and seat post off and thats it, bike goes straight in.
  • starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    hi Pacman

I took my bike to Lanzarote in a box I Hired from triuk I think it was 45 a week plus a deposit. It done me proud like cone head said its sooooo soul destroying watching your pride and joy being chucked around and theres nowt you can do about it. with a 2k bike I wouldnt risk a bike bag.

just sit and worry for a few hours.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Use a proper bike box. I have the Elite box and have bought extra thick foam upon which I put my bike frame, drew its out line cut out the shape and now I have a bike box that I just have to slip my bike into the shape - just like a gun case!
    At £45 a week I would be better off buying one from wiggles at £159 and then I can use it time after time. Thanks for the advice thou

I may look on e bay first if they are any cheaper , but a bike bag does sound a little risky

[:)]Hi everybody

have just bought a box from wiggles so should make my trip aboard a little less stressful

all I need to do know is insure the thing

thanks for all your help