Home Chat General Chat

any words of wisdom ???

HI - another plea for help from another fledgling ... am up for a challenge so am doing 4 triathlons this year but cant stretch my wallet to meet the costs of all the kit (yet) . so i make do with my mountain bike for now. any suggestions as to how to make it more tri-friendly ???? my training is going ok but is so hard to juggle all three events with the gym and work but hey you all know that - again any pointers of mercy would be well received ..... [8|]

cheers

madnurse (phil)

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Hi Phil,

Get slick tyres for your mountain bike..

• chischis Posts: 94
    Try cycling (or even running) into work if it is feasible - it will save valuable time by combining a necessary journey with a workout.

chis
  • SetantaSetanta Posts: 42
    As a fellow nurse I know how difficult it is but with a lot of juggling it can be done. Shiftwork is a nightmare for some but I find it great as you have more time to concentrate on your workouts as there is noone about the house. I would also recommend fitting a set of tri bars on the bike and for gear you can pick up some very cheap stuff ot www.ebay.co.uk and also at www.totalfitnessbath.co.uk.

Enjoy your Tri's

Joe
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    if only ... i work some 27 miles from home (via motorway at that) so 8 marathons a week should have me in good stead for salford & lonndon ???? LOL [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

thanks for the thought tho

phil
  • pugwashpugwash Posts: 8
    I think a good investment may be to go for bike shoes and road pedals (you will need them when you get a road bike so it's not dead money)

As Setanta says you can pick up some very cheap stuff on ebay

If you are swimming in open water you will need a wetsuit, if you don't have one just hire it. you can hire a wetsuit for £25 + £10.49 P&P (Jan to sep) from www.triuk.com.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Paul
    hi Paul... had thought of a pair of mtb shoes with velcro fasteners (diadora chili's) found on ebay 1/2 price and then find cleats / pedals to go with ... what you think .. ????? any thoughts on which system is better (ie look spd or whatever)

thanks !!!

madnurse (phil)[:D]
  • bigmatbigmat Posts: 20
    hi phil,

as far as clipless pedals go, look is a better system for pure road cycling, as it gives a wider platform to push down on, making them more comfortable on long rides. spd's have a smaler contact area, and so can give you sore feet after a couple of hours in the saddle.

if you're fitting them to a mountain bike though, i'd go for spd's. the shoes have the cleats recessed into the sole as they're meant for off road (which you might do a bit of on an mtb), and that'll also give you the advantage of being able to run through transition during a triathlon.

i use look cleates and pedals as i come from a cycling background, and just prefer them. i just have to put up with slightly tricky transitions.

both systems have pros and cons, but both work really well, so i doubt you'll regret buying either. they should make a real difference to you cycling. just practice getting your foot out a bit before you go out onto the open road. everybody messes it up at least once, and ends up in a heap on the floor!

good luck
    blimey this is all coming together rather damned quickly .. have shoes cleats and pedal sorted ... a pair of slick tyres on their way .. hurrah so far !!!

has been suggested a slip an aero bar on to finish the package off ... guys can you come good again for me on this there is just to much choiuce and all seemingly at not cheap bucks ?????

what with all this new trainers, a wetsuit, a tri suit & all the other gubbins "we" could have a holiday for the same money (but it wouldnt have the same buzz as i persuade the wife.....) LOL

madnurse (phil) [:D]
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    I have the Profile Century tribars which seem to be OK and not too expensive, and not too heavy either. see link @ Primera.

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/details.asp?TABLE=type&FKID=34&type=Accessories&ID=12

Good Luck

David
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/details.asp?TABLE=type&FKID=89&type=Accessories&ID=468

Is this dual type pedal any good... I can see times where I might bike to town or the gym and probably would need to be "clipless"ed in...I'll be fitting to a mountain bike 2.

Pedals are a bit of a personal choice.

I agree with bigmat, mtb shoes and spd's are great if you are running off your bike into T2 on a gravel surface.

I had a quick look at the diadora chili's and they look OK for general MTB work if they are half price I think I would get them and invest in some spd's (an mtb and a good pair of mtb shoes are always usful even if you have a road bike, after all winter training in the mud is always fun!)

But if you do want to go for road shoe/clips and you have never used clips before I would go for some Looks they are very easy to get on and off (practice getting your feet in and out before you go out and end up in a heap at the end of the road ...everyone does the first few times... but don't worry it will take you a lot to beat one of my friends who panicked at the traffic lights and fell over onto a police car!) and are still comfortable when you have been in the saddle for a few hours.

Enjoy!

Paul

Ps

Loonytoon. I don't think I would go for the pedals most spd's come with a plastic clip on pedal on one side that will do the same thing. I think the pedal you are looking at will be difficult to use. (Just my opinion, I have never tried them)

• SetantaSetanta Posts: 42
    Now that we veered off the original post and are test driving pedals, I wore Look cleats for about 4 years and loved them but at the end of last year I moved over to Shimano and found them brilliant, they were more comfortable on long runs and they tended to float much better than the Look and thats taking nothing away from the Look.

Must start a discussion on this actually.
    have done alost that .. the chili's are bought and on their way along with spd time pedals & cleats .. do for starters ... as for falling off hoping to avoid that if at all possible .. i guess a few lonely sessions getting used to the feel of pavement at speed wont be all wasted .. note to self avoid police cars .. hoping all this pays off seems alot already..........

apart from tri bars & clothing i seem to be just about there .. blimey all in a days work thanks for all input as sent so far guys - keep it coming if you have it !!!!

hope to run into (or in past you) in a few races this year [8D]

madnurse (phil)
  • queasyqueasy Posts: 10
    come and work in NZ much better for tri gear prices and training.
    Hi Queasy !!! thanks for those wise words mate [:D]... however am aiming to head down to New Zealand when i have a my first season under my belt have always fancied a speell there and its a perfect chance to see how you guys fair .. any details of races you might have would be seriously appreciated

cheers

madnurse (phil)
    madnurse,

I have just thought of some other things that may help.

1) Have you considered joining a club. Have a look at http://www.britishtriathlon.org/clubs/index.php

2) Have you got a subscription the 220 (hello Forum/220 Admin do I get a discount of my subscription for putting in a good word [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m11.gif[/image])

Thanks

Paul
    HI Pugwash !!!!!!!!!

i kinda jumped the gun there .. am already initiated into Warrington Tri Club (have the aches n bruises to prove it lol) also now have membership of the BTA and ...gulp have entered four races .. feck feck feck .. i think my medication is wearing off again .. eeek

cheers mate

madnurse (phil)
    Hi again ... for ever on the quest to turn me & my bike into a triathlon viable (i nearly said winning ...sputter !!!!) combination ..next on my wish list has to be tyres .. i need a set of slicks 26 x 1.95 but which ones there are so fecking many availible ... any wise words ??????

am itching to to get into my 1st race [:)]

madnurse (phil)
    hi,

if you do come down we have the Aunt Betties Triathlon series, olympic and sprint distance, plenty of swim runs, 3 half ironman races and a very poor run ironman!( i was one of the 1400). These also plenty of sea swim, events, lots of rides and various runs from 5-42kms.

Only problem is traffic here in auckland is the worlds worst. Have been knocked of 3 times so far. two in the week leading up to ironman. All in middle of the day.

But there are plenty of people here all into Tri's so you would find it easy to hook up with people.

Just pick your employer wisely. I too work in the health service and who i work for are very unhelpful.
    [color=#ff0000]THE SWIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/color]

is it me or is it / was it most peoples nightmare leg of their 1st triathlon ??? am not a bad swimmer as such so long as i can do breast stroke ... am convinced eeyore would put in better time at front crawl ... i have some 7 weeks until my 1st race ... do i attempt to learn crawl in this time ? .. perhaps instead simply improve on my breast stroke (which is more energy efficient than crawl although not as fast) or do you guys have some cunning plan that cannot fail ????????

[color=#ff0000]THE BIKE !!!!!!!!!![/color]

At last I have cleats & pedals (plus shoes) still a bit wobbly also in vain of another winnie the pooh character but it might be a go-er .. need to be to make up the time i might loose on [color=#ff0000]THE SWIM [/color]bravely assuming i dont drown (see above .....) also have my eye on an aero bar which alledgedly will shave a few more seconds off !

[color=#ff0000]THE RUN !!!!!!!!![/color]

(i will make it to the run) this was supposed to my strongest leg & still needs to be .. do elastic laces really make that much difference thru transition ????

[color=#ff0000]THE CHARITY !!!!!!![/color]

NSPCC sounded a good option ... got swept up by the idea of making a difference so I seem to have entered a few more races than the one I was planning so am now doing Cheshire Tri, Chester Tri, Salford Tri & London Tri ... (feck that was dumb lol !!!) ..... probably end up with a few more knowing me .. any invites welcome

[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]

madnurse (phil)
    hi guys,

blimey. this thread seems to have exploded in all sorts of directions! where to go from here?

tri bars i think. use profile air stryke's myself. not the cheapest on the market, but great to fit on a road bike as the armrests are spring loaded, and let you put your hands on the tops. loads of adjustment too, which is really important if you've never tried them before. you'll need to mesh around with how stretched out you are, and how wide apart your arms are to find a comfortable yet streamlined position. so whatever make you choose, try and find an adjustable set.

and now breast stroke or crawl? if you've only got 7 weeks, and you're still swimming bs, then i'd say stick with that. you'll be better concentrating on a stroke you know until race day, than trying to learn a new one at the last minute. wait until the end of the season to switch strokes, unless you're prepared to really work at it now of course!

clipless pedals. didn't fall off onto a police car, but did did in front of a guy walking his dog, all my cycling club mates, and a couple of dozen cars waiting at the traffic lights. embarassing - yes. did i do it ever agaig? no way!

HI Matt !! - thanks for your input , have taken the plunge and decided to get some advice / coaching to either kickstart my crawl or at least improve on my breaststroke ... either way I should end up with a better swim time than otherwise might be the case.

I did fancy a go at a set of profile air strykes, so they look like an option for my bike. As for the pedals well I guess I will have to endure a few sessions of pavement kissing at speed until I have adjusted to them. At least I will look the part .....

cheers buddy !!!!!!!!! [:D]

madnurse (phil)
    ANY THOUGHTS ON PROFILE AIRSTRYKE ????????

as you can see I am looking at a set of airstrykes for my mtb ... one thing is now bugging a bit .... should i put these on they will stick out considerably beyond my existing bars ... possibly beyond my natural reach .. I have about an inch adjustment on my saddle but unless the airstryke can adjust backwards I might be on a looser ... any suggestions ??????

thanks

madnurse (phil)

ps managed a 2 hour session on my bike with my new pedals n cleats ... didnt fall off police cars or otherwise !!!!!!!!!!!! yes !!!!!!!!!!! point to me heee heee !!!
    A tip. Learn to swim front crawl. I was like you but last november took lessons. best money i ever spent. instead of looking at a 2h10 ironman swim i am know done to 1hr 15.

phil,

the air strykes have some forward and backward adjustment too. all tri bars tned to stretch you out, unless you're riding a tri specific bike. i don't, and don't have any problems.

is there a local bike shop that sells them? coudl you take the bike down, and get them to show you what sort of position you'd be in if you fitted them? they're not cheap, so you want to make sure you get the right pair.

good news about the pedals. reckon you'll still topple over at least once though!

matt
    just road tested my slicks today . them and the spd pedals ... little pocket rocket thing going on there all of a sudden - might even give thr tri club a shock come training on Sunday !!!!!!!!!!

Matt ...thanks for your confidence and whereas i accept i may topple off - i seriously hope its sooner rather in a race in front of loads of people esp people i know .. Grrrrr (note to self .. sticks and stones may break my bones but kissing pavement mid race may be worth it ... if i get back on lol)

As for aero bars .. have spoken with several guys at tri club plus a few outlets on phone and it seems air strykes are my best option for my mtb (so thanks again matt plus others)

Queasy mate !!! how goes it in NZ ??? why jobs so dodgy ??? it was / is a place i fancied nursing in for a while (any good places for mental health ??) plus as you suggest the climate etc for tri should be better than p*ss wet & cold manchester ... dont squash it all for me ..... I had a dream of ironman NZ ...(0ne day) it cant be as bad as you suggested surely ....

madnurse (phil) [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
    Phil,

you would be fine in mental health. just i have a s*** boss.

IMNZ was a total balls up, from officals. go to forum on yahoo called IMNZ. Weather was excellant if you wanted to surf! winds up to 50kph waves one and half meters. If going overseas to race do an ironman in europe or US.
    HI Queasy !!!!!

have took plunge and taken ur advice re crawl .. already big improvement from one coaching session (thanks) ....... as for NZ ironman .. no way ... was to be the pinnacle for me in my tri stuff (cant beleive it was that bad but then again i wasnt there so will happily take u at ur word. Looks like I will be bring a board down with me then for the waves, failing that I may look at France as a alternative (grrr feckin frogs lol). As for job I may just look into but still fancy a time down there (NZ) to see whats what before signing anything. But madness is madness wherever so I can turn my hand to it (nursing) or tri for that mater

Training coming on well now although have to wary to not overtrain .... is getting addictive though so may not be that easy.

cheers mate

phil !!!!!!!
    oh no another bequest from the mad one !!!!!!!! [8D]

yup .. as previously mentioned this is my 1st season & am / have planned to do 4 races so far .. dilema tho as salford (sprint) is followed a week later by london (olympic) .. would it be enough time gap after salford to just do 'tickover' training before London or have I these two events too close together ... objectives opinions (or sarcastic) welcome ...

ooh hit a good one the other day ... bleeding nipples !!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@] omfg ouch ... during a brick session I have a nipple rrelated blowout .. not all good ... (finished the training mind) ... note to self leave nipples as well as jewellery in house before training in future!!!!!!)

all my years in the forces and doing crazy things never had bleeding nipps before ... injuries most other places but never there ... traithlon is already filling my life with wonderful new things !!!!!!!

madnurse (phil) [:D][:D][:D]
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Don't "race" the sprint Phil use it as an acclimatisation run through. It will help get you ready for the transitions in a race scenario.

The last week before London should be tapering - enjoy it but you won't benefit by working it hard.

Good luck

David