Home Chat General Chat

The Latest Issue of 220?

Am I just being picky or is this a genuine moan?

In last months 220 (Issue 231), in the "Next Months" highlights section there was a teaser for "A Grand Day Out" where four £1,000 tri bikes would be tested. Great I thought - a test of some of the best available bikes available for £1,000 which is a benchmark price and a popular forum question.

With that, I looked forward to receiving Issue 232. It arrived today, the cellophane was ripped off in the blinking of an eye and I have to say I am somewhat disappointed.

Not only did the "Grand Day Out" tri bike test turns out to be a "Grand plus £200" day out, it also turned out that only 2 bikes instead of 4 were tested!

Saying that, it's no real surprise what the winning bike was.

I fully appreciate that for a variety of editorial and/or financial reasons the best laid plans can turn out to be false dawns. I just thought that with £1,000 being such a benchmark and/or price limit (particularly in relation to C2W), that we might have got the four £1,000 bike tests we had expected to get.

I'm off to kick the neighbours cat!

Comments

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    LOL, how's the cat?

I totally agree, why say £1000 then add more money.

My biggest thought is that there are lots of bikes out there now at £1000 ish, it would have been much better if they could have chosen a selection of those!

I was looking at that Giant - glad I didn't buy it now! [:D]
  • Damn, and I was waiting for this month bike review's!!!!

right that's it off to go get me Boardman Carbon ! [>:]
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Corrr! [:)] let me know what it's like to ride!
  • Will do........

it has taken age's to decide over Boardman, Viner, Carrera and Dolan but with the Boardman having the better frame, it'll be fine for upgrading various components as and when.

Wheel's first followed by Areo bars then the groupset....

• MGMG Posts: 470
    And there you have it, another C**P bike review from 220 mag!! Same old bovine by-product!! The market is flooded with £1000ish bikes and they choose 2 to test!! WTF!! Seriously guys, all it takes is another Tri mag to hit the market (very soon) and 220s nose is going to be put firmly out of joint!! I know 220 has its followers but I think some of those are starting to get cynical!!

James Witts its time to up your game!!!!

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I just wonder how many people have taken up the £1 for 3 issues of that new Tri mag - I have purchased 220 but do not subscribe and only pick it up if the local has it in.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    If anyone fancies trying the new Triathlon Plus, I got this email from Wiggle:-

"to get your free copy of Triathlon Plus!

Triathlon Plus is the brand new magazine from the makers of the UK's best-selling cycling magazines, Mountain Biking UK and Cycling Plus. The first issue goes on sale 7th April packed full of expert training advice and the very latest products.

As a Wiggle customer, we're offering you the chance to read the very first issue completely free. All you need to do is call 0845 357 3627 and quote code 2011.

There are no obligations, and calls are charged at local rates. You don't even need to pay for delivery.

[image]http://www.uploadlibrary.com/wiggle/09/email131/mag-number.jpg[/image]

Offer only open to UK residents and closes at 5pm on 7th March 2009, available to the first 3,000 callers."

They will try to flog you four copies for a pound (with I assume an ongoing subscription) or you can stick to one copy free.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Nice one Jules - let's see how it compares to 220.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I was chatting to the Triathlon Plus chap at the TCR show and he reckoned their mag was going to cater for beginners more than 220 does. I guess they were trying to get their niche in the "fastest growing sport in the UK". But I guess it will be interesting to read considering not all of us are doing IM races just quite yet. Maybe in a few years...
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    JoeW1968 wrote:

Am I just being picky or is this a genuine moan?

In last months 220 (Issue 231), in the "Next Months" highlights section there was a teaser for "A Grand Day Out" where four £1,000 tri bikes would be tested. Great I thought - a test of some of the best available bikes available for £1,000 which is a benchmark price and a popular forum question.

With that, I looked forward to receiving Issue 232. It arrived today, the cellophane was ripped off in the blinking of an eye and I have to say I am somewhat disappointed.

Not only did the "Grand Day Out" tri bike test turns out to be a "Grand plus £200" day out, it also turned out that only 2 bikes instead of 4 were tested!

It is all down to the poor performance of the pound against the euro,last month you could get the bikes for a grand.But as the pound has weakened so the price went up by 20%.Gordon and Alistair sure know how to screw over the cyclist.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Jules wrote:

If anyone fancies trying the new Triathlon Plus, I got this email from Wiggle:-

"to get your free copy of Triathlon Plus!

I was going to phone... well done for reminding me - and for spoiling wiggles' campaign ;-)

I've just phoned - in case you caused a mad rush - (16:42 on the 6th) and they still were accepting the orders.

Just need to give a bit of Bio data: Name, address, email - they wanted a telephone number by I didn't bother with that.

They wanted me to sign up for three issues for £1... but you would have to set up a direct debit for that. I didn't go for that option.

Will see what it is like!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Theres a Sir Fred summatorother..I hear he's good for a loan....lotsacash floating around.