Home Chat General Chat

10k run in the morning......dodgy knee though...

....i have a dodgy knee, its a funny feeling, discomfort in the knee cap is the best way i can explain it. But i can't let it stop me. I will be running a 10k in the morning and will HAVE to do my first tri on 26th April. But after that i could bite the bullet and go to the doctors - which may result in months laid off.

What to do?

Comments

• Be careful, knees have been the bane of my life for years. You're obviously keen to get your first Tri in, but at what cost? The rest of the season? Get it checked. even if it means missing the first one!!!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Ditch the 10K - what will it prove?

Get the knee checked out - could be any number of things but most are treatable.

As CT says why make your first tri your last?

G
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Go to docs / physio and see what is dodgy about your knee. It might be something that just needs a few days rest and if you don't it could keep you out of training for months if not sorted sooner rather than later.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    OK, just to clarify, your willing to jeperdise your health (with an undiagnosed knee injury) for a 6 mile run??!!

Fair enuf, go for it.............
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    A 10k run on your BIRTHDAY?!!!! Sounds like a good one...erm- not with a dodgy knee... eat some cake instead!!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Happy B-day gary!!!

As with all (possible) injuries, get that sorted out before anything else.

I've been doing race season on knee injury 2 years ago. Had to recover and physio from october until end January the following base period with no running allowed. Had a good season 2 years ago, but jeopardised the following season big time!!!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    STOP! Right now.

Sometime in January my knee started getting a bit sore. Might have twisted a bit on ice. Too many goals to reach to stop..

5K Race on 24th January. Knee sore, swelled up. Started to feel a bit better towards the end of the week.

1st Feb. A XC race. Took it a bit easier because of the knee - but the downhill really aggravated it. It swelled up to the size of a Melon. Couldn't bend it - felt like the whole thing would explode.

I've _not_ been able to run since 1st Feb. I was doing a bit of cross training, but it was still taking a time to improve. I had a complete rest this week (until Friday). THings are a lot better. But I am only just contemplating going out for a mix of walk/jog to see how things are.

I've got a big race at the end of the month that I am desperate to do. But I've had to continually revise my targets - < 40 mins for 10k. Forgotten about. New PB. Forgotten about. Now the target is just to do it.

The only plus side is that I am doing a lot more swimming practice.

My advice: Don't do anything until it stops hurting. Then concentrate on strengthening exercises. In my case, the likely problem is a week hip - so I've been doing lots of exercises around that sort of area - glutes, aductors, stablility, core, single leg squats etc. etc.

But the whole process has made me so miserable. I am so frustrated with the whole thing - this is the worst injury I have had, really.

Do just take it easy.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Good advice from Jack.

Try and find the cause,rather than just cure the symptoms.Once the pain goes,try annoying other pool users and spend an hour aqua jogging to develop the muscle memory again.
  • did you do it then or not?? hope you didnt like gary cos i've made similar mistakes!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! hope you're having a good one.. you drinkin for it??

x
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Keep an eye on the 'Waal of Shame'; gary could pop up there any moment now.... that is ifhe's still capable: [image]http://rednas01.mygb.nl/img/cheers.gif[/image] [:D]
  • the money you were going to spend on the ol'booze, spend it on a good physio

must be old age......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way [:)]
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Happy birthday dude

I expect to see you on the wall of shame today! Hows the knee feeling? As i said it should feel a little numb later
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi Peeps

Thanks so much (again) for all your advise and support. Its great to know that someone out there knows how i feel!

I did go ahead and do the 10k, i was running it with a girlfriend and she wanted to complete in an hour or less, so that seemed like a nice easy pace to hold, and one that wouldn't aggravate my knee.

Anyway, get this, my 'bad' knee felt a little funny but held out perfectly fine, the OTHER knee, which hasn't been a problem in the past was really painful in the last 2k!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know whats going on? But i do know its getting me down, i could have ran 20k today (at that pace), but i feel like my knee's are letting me down.

I am going to book in with the doctors and get referred ASAP (i'm lucky enough to have BUPA so i hope to get sorted soon).

Thanks again!

P.S. See wall of shame for more details!

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Other knee painpossibly due to overcompensating and taking pressure off your bad knee and putting more on your good (now bad knee).I mentioned finding the cause further up the thread,an old injury from years back could be the main problem,but as I am no expert see what the consultant says.