Home Chat General Chat

Transitions...

Newbie question re duathlon transitions...

I've only done three (sprint) duathlons thus far and have use Pyro Platforms each time.

I have however got my first 'proper' duathlon coming up (10k, 40k, 5k) where I intend to use cycle shoes for the cycle (I'm not convinced the Pyros are putting all my cycling potential into a fast time).

So, not only do I need to practise shoe changes / transitions (with Pyros, there's hardly anything to learn!), but I need to suss out how it's all done. And I need some help!

1. T1 - Is it best to have the cycle shoes clipped into the pedals already and held horizontal with an elastic band (like I do with Pyros) or change into cycle shoes 'on the ground' and run in them (I use Keo grip cleats by the way)?

2. T1 - If I do keep the cycle shoes clipped into the pedals, how do I avoid getting stones embedded in the soles of my feet as I run shoeless from where the bike is racked to the mounting zone?

3. T2 - Smae questions but in reverse! Do I run in the shoes or get our of them prior to the dismount zone and run barefoot / socks?

4. Tri Shoes. My cycle shoes are too fiddly to be quick on and off affairs, and so I'm looking at some tri specific shoes with a pull loop and big easy-to-use-with-nervous-and-fumbling-fingers velcro fastening straps. Any recommendations?

Hope you can all help!! Thanks. [;)]

Comments

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Hey there!

Here is what I do..

T1 - Tri Shoes clipped in the pedals, held up by elastic bands. run in bare feet(Triathlon)/ Socks (Duathlon) Hurdle the bike and slip feet in Snap the elastic bands by pedalling, fasten velcro as I go....

T2 - Approx 100m before dismount line, feet out of shoes and rest them on the top. As I approach the line, step over one side of the bike, and ride like a postman lol (outer foot on pedal/shoe top) come in at some speed, at the last sec, dab the brakes and hop off and run with the bike into T2 (barefoot/socks)

Stones in feet - either put up with it if it happens or once you are on the bike before you slide your feet in the shoes wipe your soles with your hand then slip them in.

It is worth trying this out on a quite street/car park/grassed area until you can do it confidently.

And get some Tri shoes with a big velcro strap. I used Northwave Tribals last year, this year I will be using Specialized Tri Vent.....

Hope this helps :) Good luck
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    If it is a flat course I might be content with sticking with my Pyro's,but hilly or undulating go with the cycle shoes.
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Qick idiot question. How do you rig the shoes with the elastic band so they stay upright?
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    1) Pass the elastic band through the loop on the rear of your tri shoes

2) Loop the band through itself to secure itself to the shoe

3) fasten loose end of elastic band attached to the right shoe, to the front mech

4) fasten loose end of elastic band attached to the left shoe, to the rear wheel skewer.

This should now hold your shoes horizontal by themselves. Once you have jumped on the bike, slide your feet into the shoes (using the momentum you get from running and jumping on the bike to keep you moving)

then when you start pedalling the elastic bands should snap.

If you practise enough then you wont need to pedal before your feet are in the shoes. But if you end up having to pedal, then the elastic bands will snap and you will have to get up to speed before attempting to slide into your shoes. This now becomes awkward as you have to flip the shoe around and try and catch your foot in it.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    cycling with feet on top of shoestill enough speed shouldsolve that problem.

Otherwise a great and clear explanation by hussler, to an often returning question on this forum.

Practise this often, integrate it in your brick sessions to get the most out of it. Otherwise it'll make you lose time instead of gaining it.