Home Chat General Chat

Lands end to john o'groats

HI guys

Has anyone on here ever cycled or attempted to cycle the length of England/Scotland?

Im looking to do it for charity next march time and would appreciate any tips or help, is there a specified route, what sort of time frame you lookingat? that sort of thing.

Also if anyone was interested in joining me the more the merrier.

Comments

• hey clarkey

ive never done it but i have been thinking of doing it for ages and would be interested in joining you if you're up for company?? could be good training motivator too!! but i have looked a little bit at routes. theres load of websites that i think sell the cycling route maps but i think my uncle may have some info on it so will ask him.

out of interest what cairty you thinking of doing it for??

rachx
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Hello mate

Theres a little group of us already up for it, if you want to join us then feel free as i said theres no limit on who wants to join us, the more there are the easier it is as long as were all around the same ability...

With regards to charity not sure yet to be honest, myslef and a friend are going to be doing the channel in September with potentially an ironman thrown in somewhere, all for charity so we will besetting up a website etc. Any thoughts on charity will again be welcome.

As is any assistance
  • ability is a good point. wat sort of standard are you all? Im guessing you're also all men?! therefore will probably be faster than me however it is a year away so would have plenty of time to train up. thankfully i have a turbo so can train over winter too.

loving the website idea and the ironman and channel swim ideas are immense! I love the thought of doing all that! thats some training!! anyway charities - thats a tough one especialy if theres a group everyoneis likely to have a fave. ive raced for nspcc once though and the people i met from there were lovely and do very good work. or i have raised money for help the aged before - mainly because everyones going to get old and its a charity which is often overlooked! but if someone has a particular cause they champion i'll go with the flow!! :-)

but im defintiely up for it. x
  • p.s. how do you get to swim the channel? you have to get special permission?? I might look at doing that myself next summer or something.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I'm thinking of doing John O'Groats to Lands End next year but am planning a solo unassisted ride sometime in June. So that'll be a tourer and fully loaded panniers!! I'm contemplating throwing in the 3 peaks to make it a bit more interesting!!!

Anyway, the CTC website has a forum section dedicated purely to LEJOG, lots of interesting information on there:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=0b6e8d2f6f58b76cfd1e721e72f7b4af
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    godluvsatrier... I was asked by a mate last year if I wanted to join a group swimming the channel last August. Didn't get round to it in the end but think the best port of call (terrible pun) is the channel swimming association. Incidentally, they cracked it as a team of five.

http://www.channelswimmingassociation.com/

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    You could bring the two ideas together..... cycle from John O'Groats to Dover... see where I'm going with this?
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Going along a similar theme to bopos madness:

http://www.enduroman.com/archtoarc.html
    yeah arch to arc is something id love to do, id never be able to do the run though!!!!! am i right in the 220 article about it they said that only 5 people had completed it?

The method to my madness in the two linked into ironman is a lot of the base training work will already be there, apart from the dreaded run that is!

And rach the ability point is an interesting one, were by no means flyers i still have leg hair (conehead) and although we'd be looking at a reasonable time we wont be looking at setting any land speed records!!!!!

NSPCC would be an interesting one, without sounding radicalist any charity i worked my arse off for would have be uk based for UK purposes and Uk only!
    Re the channel swim, its quite straight forward once youve sorted a pilot and got an approved adjudicator (spelling) costs a bit though