Home Chat General Chat

Shimano Gear Adjustment/Indexing

Most of yesterday and so far about an hour this morning I have been giving my bike an overhaul.... onto gears last night... I was fighting with them for hours to get the indexing right then I stumbled across this simple and easy to follow vid.

YouTube Shimano Gears Vid

So if any of you are having trouble, like I was check this out.

Samuel

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Thanks very much for this. Superb. I too have been struggling with trying to get my indexing right. I know about the end-stop screws and what the barrel adjusters do, but I was missing out on the rather useful 'start by disconnecting the cable' tip.

I'm off to get my tools out. Bye-bye jumping cogs and failed shifts. I'd been thinking to myself 'Surely Ultegra should be better than this?'.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    You got your bike from halfords didn't you Bopo?

Not to pick on you but it does kind of highlights the merrits of the LBS to get ones bike working in ship shape condition.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Ha ha! It was delivered by Halfords, but it was put together by those nice people at Dolan and everything was perfectly set-up out of the box.

Problem is I never took Halford's up on their 'kind' offer for a free service after 6 weeks when everything should have bedded in - cables stretched etc, as I wasn't going to let them even touch my bike after delivery.

Should've been to my LBS to get it done, yes, but I need to fix my cogs now and I'm a tinkerer at heart. Anything more complex and it goes to the shop, though.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    That vid sorted mine out a treat, never been so smooth.