Home Chat General Chat

Where to look for 2nd hand??

After completing the mad march tri yesterday on my mtb and having the world and his dog fly past me I feel the need to buy a road bike.

I am tempted by the cycle to work scheme but with the crunch in full swing am kind of reluctant to commit. I would feel much more comfortable buying a 2nd bike for £300 or so but am getting fed up with ebay.

Can anybody suggest where is a good place to look for 2nd hand road bikes?

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Just to point out that a £300 bike will actually cost you about £150-200 on the cycle to work scheme, over 12-18 months depending on your set-up and your tax band.

You pay no tax, NI or VAT on the bike. Unlike e-bay, where you get stiffed by Paypal for extra charges or you stick it on your credit card and pay about 27% interest.

Just a thought....

• OssyOssy Posts: 22
    one option is to go the whole hog and get a specialized allez elite for £970 (i work for dorset council so am limited in where I can buy from). However, am unsure whether it's worth spending this much?
  • bobraynerbobrayner Posts: 27
    Have you tried the classifieds in Cycling Weekly?

It's a little sparser than eBay, but if you're patient there can be some cracking deals on good bikes.

http://www.magazineclassifieds.co.uk/search/cyclingweekly/
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I recently purchased a Carrera Virtuoso from halfords for under £300 - not the best specced bike but it is reasonably light and resonably well specced for the price - I know most people hate halfords, as I do, but the Carrera's are very good for the price and I am happy with mine at the moment - over 250 miles so far without a problem. It will cost you nothing to go in and have a look.

edit: - and to add if you feel the need to buy a better bike 6 months down the line they still sell well 2nd hand .... on ebay ;)