Home Chat General Chat
Options

Where to look for 2nd hand??

After completing the mad march tri yesterday on my mtb and having the world and his dog fly past me I feel the need to buy a road bike.

I am tempted by the cycle to work scheme but with the crunch in full swing am kind of reluctant to commit. I would feel much more comfortable buying a 2nd bike for £300 or so but am getting fed up with ebay.

Can anybody suggest where is a good place to look for 2nd hand road bikes?

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Just to point out that a £300 bike will actually cost you about £150-200 on the cycle to work scheme, over 12-18 months depending on your set-up and your tax band.

You pay no tax, NI or VAT on the bike. Unlike e-bay, where you get stiffed by Paypal for extra charges or you stick it on your credit card and pay about 27% interest.

Just a thought....

• Options
    OssyOssy Posts: 22
    one option is to go the whole hog and get a specialized allez elite for £970 (i work for dorset council so am limited in where I can buy from). However, am unsure whether it's worth spending this much?
  • Options
    bobraynerbobrayner Posts: 27
    Have you tried the classifieds in Cycling Weekly?

It's a little sparser than eBay, but if you're patient there can be some cracking deals on good bikes.

http://www.magazineclassifieds.co.uk/search/cyclingweekly/
  • Options
    GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I recently purchased a Carrera Virtuoso from halfords for under £300 - not the best specced bike but it is reasonably light and resonably well specced for the price - I know most people hate halfords, as I do, but the Carrera's are very good for the price and I am happy with mine at the moment - over 250 miles so far without a problem. It will cost you nothing to go in and have a look.

edit: - and to add if you feel the need to buy a better bike 6 months down the line they still sell well 2nd hand .... on ebay ;)