Home Chat General Chat

Is There Any Hope?

This is a question aimed at all the triathletes out there with a family. I had my first child just before Christmas, a beautiful daughter whom I adore. However, training since has come to an abrupt halt. I haven't swum since before Christmas, cycled once and ran about five times this year. It doesn't help that I have two jobs and am currently writing up an MSc thesis; but to those that have families how do you find the time to train?

All my goals for the year have been cancelled and I could do with reassurance that one day I will train again.

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Assuming you're not an elite racer I'm sure you'll be fine.

I do less than the "right" amount of training due to work and family stuff.

The biggest issue to cope with is the knowledge that I am inevitably going to be slower in my races than I could be if I trained more. Therefore I'm looking to do my OD race this year in under three hours rather than say under 2.45.

Training is early mornings, lunchtime at work and evenings mostly, when I can.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Everyone believes if they trained a little more, they could be better/faster & some people are right, many tho' (& I include myself here) don't always train smart..more is not always better, 'just going for a run' could be time better used going for a run with a specific goal, be it pace, distance, speed, hills, intervals etc, he same applies to swim & bike. Not trying to suck all the fun out of training, but with key sessions quite big strides in fitness can be made on relatively short time....finding that time with 2 jobs a baby & a dissert, disert studying, now thats tough.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Sounds like you have a very rich life at the moment. This best thing to do is just enjoy it all!

Don't stress over training.

Fitness is easier to recover than it is to get in the first place.

Again, stopping completely will probably be bad for you mentally: it is important to do a something just to stop you going mad/feeling frustrated, and then resentful (which is probably why you've posted).

Every so often take a bit of personal time (there will be enough pressures that you will need that) to have an easy run, a bike ride or whatever. If you get the opportunity to, in lieu of using the car (e.g. commuting, going to the shops), try to bike/run. In a few months your little girl will be old enough to go to a baby swimming class...

If you can't get to run, then just taking your girl on a walk will be good for both of you.

Talk it over with your partner! the fitter/happier the are, the nicer and more capable of supporting your family you will be.

Remember that from the outside, there is a lot to envy in your situation - you're in work, you doing something very rewarding personally, and professionally, with your MSc, and you have a wonderful new baby daughter!

• EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    boycie,

don't fear. I have 2 young boys and a 3rd due in august. I am doing lanzarote ironman in August. As well as having a very understanding wife i have managed to sort of balance life work, training. the only thing that seems to have gone out the window is seeing my friends as they are less interested than i thought they would be in talking nutrtition and training strategies, and i normally am in bed by 9pm. The only thing i would say is that to make all this happen you have to get up very very very early in the mornings.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A very good mate of mine had the exact same exxperience, he was in full training for IM Austria, when at Christmas time his wife produced a new daughter ... where did she come from!?

He did his full paternal duties with both the newborn and a feisty 2 year old and he continued his 10-12 hours per week training programme, the secret was plan, plan & plan. He did not waste a minutes' training, he went out ultra early and he also had a plan B and a plan C. It worked he did the IM (in just over 9 hours) and family life was not impinged upon. This guy is an Olypian so he knows about sacrifice, about time management and he knows how to train effectively.

The only part of the plan that did not happen was that the family did not accompany him to the event instead that honour was left to your truley