Home Chat General Chat

Newbies! What training have you done this week?

The original thread was "what training have you done THIS WEEK".

Would you be able to edit the topic back to that?

A lot of newbies might not be training every day - saying "this week" is a lot less intimidating as you then don't feel pressurised into having to do something everyday, which is what made the thread a lot more friendly than the non-newbie one :-)

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Not a newbie here, but am posting cause I find this thread should be started up again.

Did an early morning swim.

This afternoon I will have a mild tempo run for snack. [;)]

Keep it up peeps.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hi all

As the last thread seems to have been deleted, here's a new one.

Lets keep this going as we all need a shove in the motivation direction occasionally! (well I do some times)

So what training have you today?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Okay... what have I done this week? Sunday 20km bike ride, no you're not allowed to know the time because it was in London and I must have been sat at traffic lights for more time than I was pedalling. Missed the awful weather though, nice one.

Yesterday morning before work a 1km swim consisting of drills and 100m sets.

Tonight I've got a turbo session planned.... Yay. Is there anyone who enjoys turbo sessions?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Because of the knee injury, I decided to have a complete rest last week. Nothing from Monday to Thursday. Then Gym (Strengthing, core) on Friday, plus some rowing: a 5K in a new PB: 19:22. And I managed to do each 500m faster than the previous one - started off at 2:00 pace, then gradually increased. Quite pleased with that. Got the Heart Rate up to a new HR MAX for the rowing machine at the end - storming last 250m.

Saturday - Rest.

Sunday. An hour in the swimming pool - doing the drills from Lesson 1 of the Total Immersion Easy Freestyle 21st Century Techniques (what a long title!) DVD. So no swimming as such - just glides and core positioning. A few lengths of breaststroke to warm up and down.

Then to the Gym and I ran for 15 mins (first time since Feb 1st) on the treadmill. Felt no pain. But Monday and today (Tuesday) felt quite sore.

Cancelled all running/race plans: 5K on Saturday, 6 mile multi terrain the following Sunday, leaving only a 10K on the 29th.

Optimistically/foolishly entered a Duathlon on April 19th. Dunno what the knee will be like then.

Going to stop all knee related exercise for this week, and probably next. Will focus on swimming this week. My new bicycle should arrive the following week (an entry level road/TT bike, supplementing the existing mountain bike). So then I will switch to cycling if the knee is OK. Will see what I feel like on 29th - although the course has great PB potential, so was looking forward to it.

Monday: Finally tracked down (well, hijacked) a swimming course. A day of revelations. Discovered that, after 44 years, I am no longer a "non swimmer" but now an "improver"! Felt a bit of a fraud really, as the drill from Sunday really paid off: I was asked to demonstrate my Front Crawl to the instructor, doing a width, and without really intending to a got to the other side with a nice glide and a couple of strokes. Ho hum. Did a few drills with a float. The instructor had never heard of Total Immersion, I had picked up the idea that it was pretty well known nowadays. However, I don't think the "traditional" way will conflict with the TI way too much... so I will do this lesson once a week, practice the TI stuff on my own. By the time I can do a length or two of Front Crawl I will be able to go along to my local Tri Clubs novices swimming group (and possibly be good enough for a TI workshop). Anyway, feel quite pleased about being a swimmer after so many years!

Tuesday: Bit of a sort throat/ear ache. Hope that's not the result of the swimming. Slept very badly - from 11pm to 2am, so feel quite rubbish from that, I'm hoping that explains it.

There is an adult swimming session at the pool tonight - so if I'm not too full of cold, will try that for another hour of practising the drills. Will still stick to lesson 1 of the TI DVD, unless I manage to sneak a peek at Lesson 2 before then.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    @flavadave

I don't exactly dislike turbo sessions, but I get so bored. I've tried TV, music, DVDs and race DVDs - but I still find myself glancing down at the computer all the time, utterly astonished to see that not even a minute has passed since I last looked!

blurredgirl
  • Hi everyone,

Great thread. This will keep me motivated. I did a couple of triathlons last year and really enjoyed it, this year I want to complete an OD.

Plan for the week.

Today I did a 45min continuous swim.

Wed - Pyramid run session -

Thurs - 1hr Brick session and 1hr Swim set

Fri - rest

Sat - 1hr Swim Drills & 1 hour run

Sun - 2 hour cycle easy
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    20km bike ride and 40 min swim. freestyle slowly improving

flavadave - where in london are you? what route did you cycle?
  • hello everyone.

sunday i did a 20mile steady run in preperation for the paris marathon in 3 weeks time.

yseterday i didn't do much at all due to work. then today i went for my 1st 1 to 1 swimming lesson. the instructor told me i have the basics of a good front crawl stroke just need to get my breathing sorted.

tomorrow i'm out for a steady 6 mile run.

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    This week i completed a half marathon on sunday - will be swimming for an hour tonight/tomorrow night then saturday will be an hour on the bike followed by a quick 5k run.

Glad this thread is back!!!
    deeess wrote:

flavadave - where in london are you? what route did you cycle?

Live in Mile End, and my journey was a bit random to be honest! First time properly outside on my lean mean riding machine (and I'm a hopeless cyclist but man I love my bike).

Up to Victoria park for a few laps of familiarisation, dodging dogs and joggers, then into the city past Liverpool Street (dodging tourists and spitalfields shoppers), than back down Whitechapel/Mile End road (dodging buses and cars). Bl00dy frustrating it was! Just as I'd start to edge past 30kph (and I'm sure my computer is set up wrong cos I can't believe I go that fast) bleeedin traffic lights. Might chuck my bike in the car and head out into the country soon, bound to get lost though! On the plus side found out my brakes are pretty good!
    i know how you feel. i am in lewisham and just hate taking my road bike out. roads are a nightmare and traffic lights every 100m. getting in the car and out into the countryside has to be the way forward.

i'm considering riding the london to brighton route - starts at clapham and looks ok - some chap kindly posted the route on google maps

[color=#0000ff]http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Toms_London_to_Brighton-Cycle-Route-183.html[/color]
    @deeess & flavadave, I'm in the same situation, live in Greenwich and can't get more than 100m without hitting a red light. My commute is just as bad as i head in to the city then to the West end...nightmare what with cars busses and taxis, shoppers and traffic lights i find i'm stopping every 50m. I agree that heading to the country for a ride is the way forward!
    Good to see all the training!

I am on my second rest day as I had a hard cross country race at the weekend (sunday)

Swim tomorrow night and run home.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    If I start the week from Sunday......I did 35km with the other half (nearly got blown away but back before the rain, hurrah). Swim Monday morning, 600m, then the after-work run was replaced by a cheese sandwich. Currently swimming Mon, Wed, Fri, and theoretically doing a weekend cycle, a weekday turbo, and two runs.

Theoretically it all works nicely!
    Did 1500m in the pool at lunchtime, 55-60mins on the turbo planned for tonight. Twas nice in the pool, quiet, and the folks who were there had the pace just right. I timed myself for entry to my first triathlon of the season - now duly entered. There's no going back....

RE: cycling to Brighton - do it, it looks like a fantastic ride but bear in mind that Southern Rail won't let you put your bikes on peak hour trains and that the Beagle (Ditchling Beacon) it an absolute killer.

Alternatively, bung your bikes on an off-peak train to Brighton/Haywards Heath/Burgess Hill and do some cycling in Sussex. I have loads of fantastic routes at all sorts of grades (and some that include the Beagle, if you must!). No traffic lights, fast roads and gorgeous countryside.

blurredgirl
  • I am new to Tri, in fact I am new to fitness, at 56 I have decided to do a triathlon or three, which is not bad considering I can't swim or run and 20 mins cycling is exhausting. I have been struggling with training and now have decided to only do one discipline a day not mix them. So this week I have run for 10 mins non stop and managed a few half lengths. Getting the hang of front crawl at last.
  • Im new to all this, I'm 45 and decided last week I'd try and do a couple of Tri's this year. Started yesterday by biking into work and back, on my mountain bike that has been gathering dust for the last few years, that was 4 hard miles but did it again today and it felt a bit easier. Going to build up my stamina on the bike before attempting to run and swim. I've been offered a racing bike by someone at work, think its a 'Giant' if that means anything, he said it was a good make anyway and cheap. Not looking forward to the swimming part of it, it's been years since i've swam, but i have a wet suit that i used acouple of years ago when i went surfing so i can use that to start with. Lots of good advise to be had on here. Thanks in advance.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    As the last thread seems to have been deleted, here's a new one
    as was my login had to re-register maybe its me[:D]

Monday 1000m plus crawl drills - managed a length proper crawl - when will it sink in[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Today - spin class

swim - purely concentrating on crawl drills slooooowwwwly and needing 15secs rest between each length but managed with breathing - drum roll jumping up and down yeeee ha - 160 metres - with a HR at end of 160 and feeling like I'd done 1000's[:D] Thanks Jack for you TI descriptions the break came with doing the reaching as far as you can with each stroke and the hip and pelvis rotation

couldn't even do 1 a month ago[:D][:D][:D]

rest of week a spin class a 30 min run another swim session and if the weather is not absolutely foul a bike ride - and that will be my quiet week done - this excercise lark is deinitely addictive
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    er, I had an interesting spin class this evening.... my instructor walked backwards into my bike and gouged a semi circle out of his calf.... his fault I guess but I feel awful as it bled for the remainder of the class and he had to stand for the rest! He put a brave face on it but it must have bloody hurt and he disappeared to first aid straight after.... ooops....
    @ Weavewoman and spacmaker - Welcome to the fold and enjoy.

Last night for me was the first time back for 2 dats blessed rest. 30 mins core then some weights.

swim tonight with a friend who is going to teasch me to swim porper like!

Argh!! Fogot to say welcome back Moonshine.
    Welcome back Moonshine!

I flaked after 50 mins on the turbo last night, but actually enjoyed it more than one should....

Did 20 mins core after that.

Long steady run for me tonight and then a rest day tomorrow. Brick on Friday if all goes to plan. Hoping to do the aero-bar experiment then. This will also teach me how to use the split/lap function on my bike computer....

blurredgirl
    20km bike and 40 min swim yesterday.

i know i'm getting better at breathing in water as i can now go long enough for it to feel like my arms are about to drop off - normally i never make it that far [:D]
    deeess wrote:

i know i'm getting better at breathing in water

You can breathe in water? Maaan, I'd need more practice. Only air for me at the moment... Is there a TI drill for breathing in water? [:D]

Brick session tonight... Cycle home (on my new longer route) park the bike and out the door. Aiming for a sub 25min 5k. Believe me, that's a good time for me!

Wiggle sell a range of gills - red are best for some reason. Just stick them to your neck and away you go
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Did a 90 minute turbo session last night and a 7 mile each way commute into work today on the bike, needless to say the legs are feeling a bit heavy at the moment! I'm hoping to cycle into work again tomorrow and then run home in the evening but it is hard to guage times when dodging people and London buses!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    PANIC no turning back now just entered Cardiff try a tri in May - gulp - pictures very inspiring on website all ages and shapes and sizes but they were all soooo quick - some under a hour for a try a tri!!! Best bit there was someone doing breaststroke in swim[:D]

now feeling like today shouldn't be a rest day[:-]
    Moonshine,

You'll find loads of people doing breaststroke, don't fret.

Have also committed myself to the first tri of the season - the Sussex Triathlon. Sort of can't wait, sort of nervous, even though it's my second season.

blurredgirl

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I'm loving reading your thread, guys. Just as inspiring as the 'big boys' thread, actually probably more so. Reminds me of the excitement of training in my first year or two.

Guess what? That excitement never goes away, no matter how many starts you line up for. [:D]

Another little fact: don't be put off by the old hands... some of us are just as slow as ever, we're just more experienced so it is a higher quality slowness.
    Well only 40 mins swim today, and i only managed to do about 700m, lost count of the lengths tbh but it was quite a good quality swim i think. mostly crawl and i only kicked during 3 lengths.

Going to the gym for a bit of a brick tomorrow after work might swim after that too. depending on how i feel after the bike.

@moonshine i think once the Panic starts to die down you'll feel really insipred to train now. I've always found that entering a race etc inspires me to train that bit better, harder etc.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Panic ... I have panic at the moment - I just realised that my first tri is only 7 weeks away and its an open water 750m swim .... I havent got my wetsuit yet - wont be getting it until the end of the month and have never done proper open water swimming ... ohh the joys of Tri

rest day today - swim tomorrow