Home Chat General Chat

Aero bars and ride stability !

Hello everyone

I'm still very new to road bike and have only been out a few times, but it strikes me that getting down on the aero bars is a bit unstable! I only get to use them when hitting higher speeds and therefore the instability is even more of an issue! Is there any advice you can offer me with regards to this? Or is it just me being a pansy!

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    As your speed increases you should find that the bike becomes more stable. Aerobars do take a while to get used to though, as you have to learn how to go from nice wide drops to thin aerobars. Just stick with it, and you should find it gets easier, the same with cycling sitting up not holding on. If you still find it is difficult, make sure that the bars are actually centered on the bike, otherwise you are going to have fun trying to keep that upright!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I vote - pansy!

Just joking Gary, You do get used to them, I've not used them a masive mount but they totlly natural to me, Ifeel weird out of them.

God luck
    Another point ive just thought of, might be worth trying to get a proper bike fitting if you havent already. Have you got clip ons or full TT setup? and is your frame a TT frame or road frame? all can make a difference
  • Bike is a Trek 1.9 2008 road bike with Profile Design T2+ clip ons. I haven't had a proper bike fit and i know i should....

Shouldnt give you any problems, but remember with a road bike youre never going to get the perfect geometry to make the clip-ons sit in the perfect place, but you should still be able to balance it. I'm running a 2006 specialized tarmac sl with the profile t2+ cobra bars and have no problem with them, though i do seem to remember nearly falling off the first time i tried to get up out of the bars.... persevere and it should get easier!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I agree with the above - the faster the more stable, and you are a pansy. Stop whingeing and get on with it
  • treefrog wrote:

I agree with the above - the faster the more stable, and you are a pansy. Stop whingeing and get on with it

mmmmm.......thanks for the invaluable advice.
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    are your bars clip ons? what bars did you get? i need to get some but haven't made up which to go for yet
  • yeah, i got clip-ons.....http://www.profile-design.com/products/aerobars/t2/

They score highly on review sites and stuff....
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    the drink bottle you can get is pretty handy too, fits inside the bars!
    great thanks - will give them a go
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Gary, you'll get the hang of them (assuming the bike does actually fit you) so don't worry about it. Just get the miles in and practice getting in and out (or on and off?) them

When I first used aero-bars I got into the habit of having a quick check over my shoulder before dropping onto them, just to make sure there wasn't a car directly behind me.... just in case I wobbled and fell off. In time you'll find that you are very comfortable on them.

My new bike is still in road trim until spring time, so the biggest problem I've had is forgetting what I was doing and dropping down onto a set of non-existent aero-bars on a Sunday morning run with my mates. Didn't fall off, but the ensuing wobbles caused a surprising amount of potty-mouth shouting from behind me. [:D]

I'm comfier on the aeros than the drops.
  • You'll definitely get used to them after a while. It's like riding a bike................wobble at first but practice makes perfect! Who'd have thought eh?

Might be worth investing in some good quality gym time too focussing on your core strength and stability. A steady platform and control in this section of your body makes a big difference to your own stability and ability to push through at speed.

When I first starting using aero-bars, I just introduced them gradually over time. First ride, spend 1 min in aero-position, 4 mins out for the session. Then as confidence and ability increased changed the length of time in aero and decreased time out. You'll soon be completing good stints in full aero-position! Just remember to shave the legs.............. [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    gary,

I hope your volume of training is heavy as your postings on this forum. if so you'll be fine, also stop being a pansy and just get down on the aero bars, only time will make you more confident.

• Gary,

I can't agree more with what's said here. Clip-on aero bars will make a difference - it's been quantified before - see www.bikeradar.com/news/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273 as to how much difference each little bit makes. Clip-on bars are probably the most cost effective way of improving your bike split & you will get used to them in time. However, you definitely need to get your bike set-up checked as the position of your body has a huge effect on aerodynamics. I was sceptical of all of this but eventually got some Profile clip-ons & was instantly about 3 mins quicker over 25km. I've since taken another 3 mins off by investing in a TT bike & am about to use an aero lid for the 1st time if I can overcome the embarrassment factor. Will keep you posted!

Good luck!
  • Gary, first post ever so bear with me...

I found the exact problem when i first used mine, funnily enough on the same bike. I found by adjusting the elbow pads slightly wider made me ten times more stable and confident when using them, although have to say hitting a bump whilst coming off them is always fun!
    used mine for first time this weekend - definitely noticed the difference - you can feel the improved power. had to keep spotting the bumps on the road ahead and sitting up when necessary though
  • deeess

Did you notice a big improvement in power? maybe im not using them correctly but i find i can keep pushing longer in the flats but the second a larger output is needed i have to come up!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Moonshine!

I cant see why you cant fit them to a hybrid, it will depend on which type you get.

I have a racer but O bought the bars that are shaped to meet in the middle and they are great you can chan your hand postion when you need to.[image]http://triuk.com/images/stories/century_06.jpg[/image]
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hey, Ive seen tri bars on a mountain bike so a hybrid should be fine. Its all about doing the best you can with the bike and budet you have got.
    2 things to add:

1. If you are going to add bars to a hybrid, make sure you get bars that are compatible, i.e. the width of the clamp is the same size as the handlebars

2. As a first investment for a hybrid, get some slicks (thin tyres), they will provide you with a much greater speed improvement than clip ons will if youre running fat tyres
    Clarkey

Yes I did notice a difference in power - hard to explain but i just found it a more efficient cycling position - as soon as i stretched out it felt as if i was getting more out of my legs
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Deeess

I think maybe i need a proper bike fitting. I just found i could hold it for longer.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I've just bought these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-Kinetic-One-TT-Tri-Bars-Road-Racing-Triathlon-Bike_W0QQitemZ120384436332QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item120384436332&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Yes, expensive month, I know! Shoes, base-layers....DH is looking worried.

This is my first foray into aero bars and plan to put them on and try them out this weekend. I've read through this thread for advice - but just want to be prepared for exactly how wobbly I'll be? Guess I'll find out, but would be nice to hear from any of you who have done your first ever rides using aero bars recently.

Out of sheer curiosity I plan to time myself. I have a long, straight, quiet stretch of road that I use for speed, so thought I'd do a run along there on the drops, and then again on the aero bars - see what time difference I get.

Yep. There is such a thing as the female nerd.

blurredgirl
    i was fine although it sounds like gary had a bit of trouble so it affects people differently i guess.

one thing i would suggest is keeping an eye on the road surface for any nice pot holes waiting to throw you off balance

would be interested to know the timing differential so do post once you have experimented
    Hi there,

Well, I put the bars on at the weekend, and used the turbo to get them as near right as I could get. My DH wanted to come out too, so I decided not to do the experiment this time (would have been very boring for him) and he was just wanting to test his new cleats. So we just did a gentle 24km, with a few good quiet stretches to try out the new toys.

But blimey! What a difference! Have to say I was quite blown away by how great they were. Firstly, very comfortable, more so than going down onto the drops. Then the added power - wow! I estimted that I was getting an extra 5kmph and left poor old DH standing.

Really pleased with my investment, and the bars themselves are really nice. Pretty much everything is adjustable, so I can really get the best out of them.

Anyone still dithering - go for it. Can't wait to try my experiment and find out how much time I can win.

blurredgirl
    Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge regarding the tri bars fitting onto a bike when you have a trip computer?

I have a shimano flightdeck which seems to only fit onto the bars in a certain place which would appear to be where the bars would sit?

I want the bars back but really need the computer as i cant afford a power meter....yet...
    Will your computer go on your stem? That's where mine is, so no issues with it getting in the way of my lovely new bars.

Otherwise - not sure. It's a good point...

blurredgirl

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Don't know if it will help but see the pic's below for a stem mounted computer.....yours maybe too large?

[image]local://2838/62D0EA9A93ED45D5B9B60F5FA2031BA9.jpg[/image]
    cheers guys, ill have a look into it....