Home Chat General Chat

Open water swim

First tri coming up in Eton.

Re swim - hod does it get really? Will everyone be kicking, punching, generally making their own way or is there an element of consideration for fellow competitors?

i just want to know whether to wear my knuckle dusters [:D]

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Eton is a super sprint, thats full bore all out sprint 400m, that means yes its gonna be rough if you're at the front. Basicly, (as I dont know what pace youre at) if your about 6 min 400m pace youll be ok at the front, 7 min ok in the middle 8 min at the side or at the back. You probably will get a few knocks but these are (mostly [;)]) accidental. Enjoy it, Eton is a fantastic event!! (bit pricey though!!)

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I'm up to 5 tri's now and have never come across anyone deliberately punching and kicking, but then I'm never that near the front - I think that's where it gets really hairy. However, as I've got quicker and moved a bit closer to the middle I have noticed it starting to get pretty crowded. I've started training with a tri-club and doing lots of open water swims and the more I do the easier it gets to cope with the start.

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    The best description of an open water swim ive heard was " its like swimming in a washing machine on full spin ".

I quite enjoy them though, with all thats going on you kind of forget your working so hard
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hey Deeess, Ive found that the beginning few seconds is the most intense as everyone tries to get up to pace and find a space to do it in, so if you are really worried, stick to the one side or back for the start. But if someone is swimming next to/on you, then its gotta be as unconfortable for them as you, so they will soon move away. Its motly odd smacks to your ankles as arms go over, but everyones wearing wetsuits so just think of it as a foamparty in a fetish club..slippery (so Ive been told).

Ive had a few occasions where someone is swimming right next to me and you might just have to try breathe on the opposite side for a bit till you pass them (of course!). See you there!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    The swim starts are great!! I love them!!

Ok , I don't like getting beat up, but in the swim it just happens, just hope it's not too bad.

And yes, the more often you do it, the better you'll cope with it.

Have fun, GET READY TO RUMMMMMMBLE!!![:D]