Home Chat Race Chat

DB Max Chilly Duathlon - Castle Combe Circuit

Looks like the snow's gone so everything should be good for the Chilly Duathlon on March 1st.

2 mile/10 mile/2 mile with full chip timing and bike lap splits too - so you'll know exactly how fast you did each of the 5 laps of the famous race circuit.

Also to host the South West Children's Duathlon Champs, so if you've got kids between the age of 8 and 18 you can bring them along to race - they get to draft too!

More info at www.dbmax.co.uk.

Comments

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Anybody from here doing this event ?

I think I might

• I am...got roped into it by a workmate.
  • I'm in too, an earlier start to the season than I had planned, so not holding out for good times!
  • I just think be cool to race around the circuit...not really planned on trying to do anything quick...as i aint quick
    Think I am definately going to do this one ... got to get signed up first though - its about 50 mile from me but I have been several times and driven round the track. Actually am driving round it in May this year, first time in a few years.

• gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    How did everyone get on??

My run times let me down, for example. I finished 127/197 with a time of 1h01m15s...my bike time was 73/197 @ 26m52s.

Must run more. Great event though apart from some chimp hanging his bike where my kit was on T2.. will look into the august one.
  • heymonkeyheymonkey Posts: 45
    Really enjoyed it today, loved racing at Castle Combe circuit.

I was the opposite of you gaterz, good runs, not so good bike. 77/197 overall, but 108/197 on the bike, in a time of 28:16 (more carbon required, and there was a lot of carbon there today!). The bike is alway my weaker area, need to keep working on it.

Had a great time though, 1st duathlon for me, will definately do some more, and ASAP I think.

I'm overseas in August, otherwise would definately do it, back for the November one though.
    My first duathlon as well, i think maybe i should just do cycle events. As the tri's are slowed by my swims in the same way my duathlons are slowed by my runs.

Agree with the carbon, lots of money rolling around! Apart from my mate it was only tt specific bikes that passed me....which i was pleased with.
    Hey Gaterz I was not far behind you ... finished in 133rd - 1hr 1 min 46 seconds - I was the one in the red top sprinting at the finish lol ... was absolutely knackered crossing the line. Was very pleased though - my goal was 1 hr 10mins.

Was my first ever event and was very pleased with it - even though the start was delayed it was quite well organised and a very good venue - will probably do the November one as I am doing the London Tri in August.

• heymonkeyheymonkey Posts: 45
    Very funny garerz!

The buzz of carbon from behind me became quite familiar to me during the race.

There was one massive fella on a pure road bike, he was up on the hoods, pedalling at around 50 rpm, looking around like he was on a Sunday ride with the kids; he went whizzing past me, I was gutted as it was early in the race. I was expecting old ladies dressed as pirates with shopping baskets on the front to take me after that (got video evidence of a similar occurance at an Edinburgh marathon, not a proud monent!).

Don't really rate my swimming either, should maybe go back to just the running...............no, there's nothing like the feeling of overtaking a Cervelo on a £220 Halfords special.

GGB, my email pinged as I was writing this, well done on a first ever event, I'll be joining you at London in August!

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Well done all, new to the forum although I've looked in a few times.

Seems I finished pretty close to everyone here, 132 - just 6s in front of GGB. The weather helped make it a much nicer race than last November.
  • WilkoWilko Posts: 23
    Hey folks

Great job on your times/placings.

I did this event for the second time this weekend, it is a great first event - it was my first in November. I think this is well placed event for a gauge of fitness level pre/post winter.

I have been working on my running fitness and paid off with a gain of 5:23 November to March.

Wilko
    Thats a huge gain!! Well done. I think i need to run train rather then just assume i'll be ok! I will be happy to go sub 1 hour. But the august one is longer i think....maybe still try to go sub 1 hour??
  • jimjim Posts: 12
    This was a top event, the weather was great and well organised, and the slight wind didn’t stop me from getting a Pb and 10th place. looking forward to August which is 5k 20k and 3k
  • langers08langers08 Posts: 19
    Like the rest I had a great time at Castle Combe. Running is definitely my weaker area & I finished 61st, age group 12th, which I was fairly happy with. My bike split was 23rd overall which for everyone else out there shows the real advantage of going aero! It was my first duathlon but I've done the rowing triathlons before which are a great intro. Can't recommend them highly enough so watch out for dates on the dbmax website. And no I'm not on commission!
  • TriquinTriquin Posts: 2
    I also had a great day improved over Novembers time by just over 5 mins must have been my new bike [:)]. Did 57.48 5th in age groupand 93 OA. I could get to like this sport.[:D]
  • DB Max put on a fab event.

I've only ever done three duathlons (The Chilly last November where I came 25th after getting lost in T2!, this Chilly and another sprint event on a training camp) and am really enjoying them.

Hope all the other events I'm planning in 2009 are as well organised.

I guess coming third helped with my praise(!), and the weather came out good, but nevertheless Will and his team did themselves proud.

Many thanks and see you later in the season no doubt...
    Anybody on here do the event but seem to be missing from the gallery?? Got me on the run but not the cycle??

I did complete 5 laps..... i think. [;)]
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I didn't make it into the gallery on the cycle in November. I think the photographer moved to the finish line and missed quite a few people.
    Bugger. Will take someone next time to take pics. I smiled on every lap as well. [:)]

He cant make much money from the photos as everyone i was at the event with wasn't captured on bike section.
    Unfortunately yes I was captured on the bike ... twice .. and on the run in at the end .... won't be buying the pics though - I looked horrendus ...